News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Soviet & Eastern Block Quiz - 2008

• Replies 634
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello,

could be Alexander Marinesko who torpedoed Gustloff and Steuben with S-13. Hitler was not amused and so M. was his personal Enemy

Regards

Frank :cheers:

That is not him.

OK, let's start throwing some clues around. He became H's personal enemy rightfrom the very first days of the war.

Marc

• 2 weeks later...

Ilya Ehrenburg :unsure:

Although never holding any position of authority or command, I was instantly recognized all; it was said that Hitler feared me so much and considered me his personal enemy, that he placed a substantial reward on my head.

Who am I? Why did Hitler fear me?

Dear Marc,

if you consider "never holding any position of authority or command" not only in military terms, but also for the the field of government, diplomacy etc., then Ilya Ehrenburg http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ilya_Ehrenburg might be a candidate. Herr Hitler feared him, because he might have been the most brillant anti-Nazism writer and progandist in Soviet history.

Best regards :beer:

Christian

Ilya Ehrenburg :unsure:

Dear Marc,

if you consider "never holding any position of authority or command" not only in military terms, but also for the the field of government, diplomacy etc., then Ilya Ehrenburg http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ilya_Ehrenburg might be a candidate. Herr Hitler feared him, because he might have been the most brillant anti-Nazism writer and progandist in Soviet history.

Christian

Christian,

Long time no see :beer:

That was an interesting suggesting, and the line of thinking is definitely the right one, but unfortunately for you, that is not the person we are looking for.

So, here is one more hint:

During their offensive on Moscow, the German mounted a specific aerial operation in an attempt to get rid of our character. They scored a direct hit on the place where he was, and reported to Berlin that the "problem" had been dealt with; however, within 15 minutes, they found out that they had not gotten rid of him.

This attempt led the Soviet authorities to relocate him in Sverdlovsk in the fall of 1941.

Marc

I want to give it a try!

Could it be the famous psychic Wolf Messing? He was Jewish and flew from germany to the USSR (where he impressed Stalin). Why? He firstly was a Polish Jewish, and secondly he predicted the downfall of Hitler if he would have attacked the East so that Hitler put a 200,000 mark reward on his head.

Cheers!

Edited by marcotk

LENIN :unsure: ????????

Dear Marc,

many thanks for your greetings :cheers:

Well, it might have been Lenin himself, but his corps was moved in fall 1941 to Tyumen http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyumen and not to Sverdlovsk :unsure: .

Sverdlovsk had been the place, where the Soviets moved large branches of industry during the GPW ...

Christian

Christian,

Long time no see :beer:

That was an interesting suggesting, and the line of thinking is definitely the right one, but unfortunately for you, that is not the person we are looking for.

So, here is one more hint:

During their offensive on Moscow, the German mounted a specific aerial operation in an attempt to get rid of our character. They scored a direct hit on the place where he was, and reported to Berlin that the "problem" had been dealt with; however, within 15 minutes, they found out that they had not gotten rid of him.

This attempt led the Soviet authorities to relocate him in Sverdlovsk in the fall of 1941.

Marc

Dear Marco,

Messing http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolf_Messing was evacuated from Moscow and imprisoned in Tashkent in fall 1941 :rolleyes: .

Christian

I want to give it a try!

Could it be the famous psychic Wolf Messing? He was Jewish and flew from germany to the USSR (where he impressed Stalin). Why? He firstly was a Polish Jewish, and secondly he predicted the downfall of Hitler if he would have attacked the East so that Hitler put a 200,000 mark reward on his head.

Cheers!

Edited by Christian Zulus

Thanks for the welcome! :cheers:

I think it is Yuri Borisovich Levitan! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yuri_Levitan

Hitler hated his voice and he was moreover Jewish, so he puted him in the list of the top reich's enemies! When the Germans bombed Radio Govorit Moskva, they

thought he was gone but in few minutes he was back on air!

Best!

Edited by marcotk

I think it is Yuri Borisovich Levitan! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yuri_Levitan

Hitler hated his voice and he was moreover Jewish, so he puted him in the list of the top reich's enemies! When the Germans bombed Radio Govorit Moskva, they

Best!

Hi again Marco,

This sounds like you will soon celebrate your first victory!!! Let's see what Marc will say... :rolleyes:

Cheers.

Ch.

Best!

Congratulations on your first win, Marco :jumping:

So, your turn to ask a question.

Marc

Congratulations Marco !!! :jumping::jumping:

Time for a few stats...

Quiz 2008 :

* 36 questions asked,

* with 490 answers,

* and viewed more than 4,050 times.

Nb of good answers for the Quiz 2008 :

* 8 : Marc (Lapa)

* 5 : Christian (Zulus), Christophe & Frank (Knarf)

* 4 : Dan (Hauptman)

* 2 : Alex (RedMaestro) & Auke (Ferdinand)

* 1 : Brendan (ANZAC), Jim (JimZ), Marco (marcotk) & Wild Card

Complete statistics give since this Quiz has been launched (on 1 Nov. 2005) :

* 207 questions asked,

* with 2,635 answers,

* This quiz has been viewed more than 27,650 times.

* 42 Members of the Forum played, and 31 correctly answered at least 1 question :

Nb of good answers :

* 40 : Christian (Zulus)

* 37 : Christophe

* 17 : Frank (Knarf)

* 13 : Jim (JimZ)

* 11 : Bryan (Soviet)

* 9 : Dan (Hauptman)

* 8 : Auke (Ferdinand), Marc (Lapa) & Simon (Red Threat)

* 6 : Belaruski, Carol I & Ed (Haynes)

* 5 : Wild Card.

* 3 : Andreas (Alfred), Ivan (Piramida) & Kim (Kimj).

* 2 : Alex (RedMaestro), Chuck (in Oregon), Gerd (Becker), Jan (vatjan) & Order of Victory.

* 1 : Brendan (ANZAC), Charles (Hunyadi), Darrell, Daredevil, Dave (Navy FCO), Dudeman, Filip (Drugo), Marco (marcotk), Rick (Stogieman) & Steen (Ammentorp).

This is a great achievement. Thanks to all for your participation in this Quiz. :beer:

Now, let's play for the 208th question, Marco's one !! :jumping:

Cheers.

Ch.

So.., here it goes! :jumping:

I think it is an easy one!

He was a Marshal that was arrested in 1945 and later, in the 50ies, shot by the NKVD. Hint: He was not ethnically Russian and was not known by his real birth name.

Who am I talking about (name, ethnicity, rank)?

Why was he purged?

Cheers!

Marco

He was a Marshal that was arrested in 1945 and later, in the 50ies, shot by the NKVD. Hint: He was not ethnically Russian and was not known by his real birth name.

Why was he purged?

Cheers!

Marco

Would that be:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grigory_Kulik

???

-Alex

Why was he purged?

Cheers!

Marco

Marco,

A grand total of five Marshals (Tukhachevski, Blucher, Egorov, Kulik and Beria) were executed by firing squad (some sources say that Blucher died in prison). Of these, the first 3 were purged before WWII, and you indicated that Kulik was not the one.

That leaves only Beria (Lavrenti Pavles dze Beria in Georgian), who was Georgian (actually Mingrelian), although the date does not correspond, since he was arrested in 1953, following Stalin's death.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marshal_of_the_Soviet_Union

Pre-war Marshals

WWII Marshals

Marc

Edited by Lapa

Marc, he was a Marshal, but not an "ordinary" one..

Was he, perhaps, Mongolian? I can't find any good info on the web about Mongolian marshalls, though, so I have absolutely no idea if I'm even close on this one.

Not Mongolian!

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Marco,

Right, there are Marshals and Marshals, then :rolleyes:

So, our man is Aviation Marshal Sergey Aleksandrovich Khudyakov (Серге́й Александрович Худяков), whose original name was Armenak Artemovich Khanferyants (Арменак Артёмович Ханферянц). He was from an Armenian family.

He was arrested in Chita on 14 December 1945, and charged with treason, misuse of his position, and use of a false identity (he used the name of a friend that was killed during the Civil War).

Marc