News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Soviet & Eastern Block Quiz - 2008

• Replies 634
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Marc,

Are you here ? :Cat-Scratch:

Cheers.

Ch.

Hi Guys,

Sorry about keeping you waiting. So, let's try that (who asked for something difficult?)

My name is Vassily Sergeevich, I was born on 18 October 1929.

For me, 7th February is a date to mark with a black stone (litteraly).

1) What is my family name?

2) Where was I born?

3) What is my profession and in what location did I work?

4) What happened on 7th February?

5) Where am I now?

One little hint, that definitely will not help anyone here (trust me on that one!), I am the great-uncle of Marc's wife (told you so :lol: )

Marc

Tried, but not sure... :rolleyes: Is our man Space related ?

Cheers.

Ch.

Christophe,

Are you trying to cheat here? And don't tell me that my previous hint didn't help :mad:

OK, I'll help a bit: he had absolutely NOTHING to do with space.

Marc

1) What is my family name? Postnikov.

2) Where was I born? The village of Chuyevka, now in the Zherdevsky Region.

3) What is my profession and in what location did I work? Your were a Rear Admiral and your last assignment was Chief of the Political Department of the Naval Base of the Kamchatka Flotilla.

4) What happened on 7th February? You died in a plane crash on 7 February 1981.

5) Where am I now? I have no idea... :unsure:

Auke

Edited by Ferdinand

7 February 1981 really was a black day - 44 officers and men of the Pacific Ocean Fleet staff and 8 civilians died in that plane crash, and among them 16 Generals and Admirals :o

They were all buried at the Serafimsky cemetary in Leningrad (St. Petersburg).

For those who can read Russian:

http://www.rigapodplav.narod.ru/Sel_Vl_T/spir.html

Edited by Ferdinand

1) What is my family name? Postnikov.

2) Where was I born? The village of Chuyevka, now in the Zherdevsky Region.

3) What is my profession and in what location did I work? Your were a Rear Admiral and your last assignment was Chief of the Political Department of the Naval Base of the Kamchatka Flotilla.

4) What happened on 7th February? You died in a plane crash on 7 February 1981.

5) Where am I now? I have no idea... :unsure:

Auke

Auke,

Congratulations, I did not expect this one to be cracked so fast and completely :jumping:

Well, Kontr-Admiral Psotnikov rests at the Serafimovsky Cemetery in St Petersburg, along with all but 3 of the other victims of that crash, where a monument stands.

By the way, on 7 February 1981, the entire commanding staff of the Pacific Fleet was killed when their plane crashed a few seconds after takeoff from Leningrad's airport. They had attended a General Staff meeting of all the fleets, presided by Admiral Gorshkov, and were flying back home. Most officers had come with their families which were forbidden to travel on military planes, and watched as the plane crashed.

You got the hand, my friend!

Marc

Hi Marc,

When you will confirm Auke's right answer, please tell us what awards he got.

Cheers.

Ch.

Christophe,

I unfortunately do not know his complete list of awards. I know that he was awarded and ORB in 1968 for his participation in the first trip from Murmansk to Kamchatka by the Northern route onboard a nuclear submarine.

He was promoted to Kontr-Admiral in 1980, just a few months before the crash. He was 51.

Marc

Many thanks Marc! :cheers: It was interesting to find out more about this crash I had known nothing about until now.

Christophe, I was just lucky with my Google search words... And once I was on the right track, it was easy - there appeared to be a lot of articles regarding this event on the internet. ;)

I'll think of a good new one and post it tomorrow.

Auke

7 February 1981 really was a black day - 44 officers and men of the Pacific Ocean Fleet staff and 8 civilians died in that plane crash, and among them 16 Generals and Admirals

Wow. Terrible indeed. Very good question. Guess most of us learnt something new here. Well done Ferdinand!

Jim :cheers:

Christophe,

I unfortunately do not know his complete list of awards. I know that he was awarded and ORB in 1968 for his participation in the first trip from Murmansk to Kamchatka by the Northern route onboard a nuclear submarine.

He was promoted to Kontr-Admiral in 1980, just a few months before the crash. He was 51.

Marc

Thanks Marc for the precision, and for the good question!!! :beer:

Cheers.

Ch.

Many thanks Marc! :cheers: It was interesting to find out more about this crash I had known nothing about until now.

Christophe, I was just lucky with my Google search words... And once I was on the right track, it was easy - there appeared to be a lot of articles regarding this event on the internet. ;)

I'll think of a good new one and post it tomorrow.

Auke

Hi Auke,

Congrats for your victory!!! :jumping: We will be impatient to see it tomorrow...

Cheers.

Ch.

A few stats...

Quiz 2008 is now well launched.

* 2 questions asked,

* with 48 answers,

* This Quiz has been viewed more than 360 times.

Nb of good answers for the Quiz 2008 :

* 1 : Auke (Ferdinand) & Marc (Lapa).

Complete statistics give since this Quiz has been launched (on 1 Nov. 2005) :

* 173 questions asked,

* with 2,193 answers,

* This quiz has been viewed more than 22,630 times.

* 37 Members of the Forum played, and 28 correctly answered at least 1 question :

Nb of good answers :

* 35 : Christian (Zulus)

* 31 : Christophe

* 12 : Frank (Knarf) & Jim (JimZ)

* 11 : Bryan (Soviet)

* 8 : Simon (Red Threat)

* 7 : Auke (Ferdinand)

* 6 : Belaruski, Carol I & Ed (Haynes)

* 5 : Dan (Hauptman)

* 4 : Wild Card.

* 3 : Andreas (Alfred), Ivan (Piramida) & Kim (Kimj).

* 2 : Chuck (in Oregon), Gerd (Becker), Jan (vatjan) & Order of Victory.

* 1 : Charles (Hunyadi), Darrell, Daredevil, Dave (Navy FCO), Dudeman, Filip (Drugo), Marc (Lapa), Rick (Stogieman) & Steen (Ammentorp).

This is a great achievement. Thanks to all for your participation in this Quiz. :beer:

Now, let's have fun with the 174th question, Auke's !!!! :jumping::jumping:

Cheers.

Ch.