News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Soviet & Eastern Block Quiz - 2008

Tikhvin 1941

Dear Marc,

Demyansk http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demyansk_Pocket is even more far away ... :(

My last try:

The battle of Tikhvin in 1941.

The German Heeresgruppe Nord initially succeeded in occupying Tikhvin on November 8. However the newly-appointed commander of the Soviet 4th Army, Kirill Meretskov, bogged down the Germans by applying active defense and constant counterattacks. He then went on the offensive and on December 10 recaptured Tikhvin.

In the midst of the battle Stavka ordered Meretskov to organize a new Volkhov Front. By December 30 Meretzkov had forced von Leeb's troops back to positions from which they began their Tikhvin offense. According to one of the leading historians of the Eastern Front, David Glantz: "the concept of blitzkrieg failed for the first time in the Second World War... anticipating [the Soviet victory at Moscow]".

But Tikhvin has been rebuilt after the GPW ... :rolleyes:

O.K., if my guessing is wrong again, I will give w.o.

Best regards :beer:

Christian

Christian,

You are getting closer with Tikhvin, but still quite far from the place we are looking for...

Marc

• Replies 634
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dear Marc,

so - like in playing tennis - I have to give a w.o. :( .

My abilities of using GOOGLE in Russian cyrillic language are very, very limited :blush: .

Christian

Well, it seems that major events that took place on the Eastern Front are not too well known at all in the West :rolleyes:

OK, one more hint (sorry for the movie parody): a river runs through it.

Edited by Lapa

Dear Marc,

nearly all important towns in the northern part of the former USSR have rivers running through ... :rolleyes:

Due to the fact, that I am too uneducated :blush: to answer your question, I will collect all your hints and our failures. Maybe this will help the prospective winner of question #177 :D .

Your question:

This time, we are looking for a place.

It is refered to as the "Soviet Verdun" in the former USSR. There took place one of the bloodiest battle of WW2; more than 300,000 Soviet troops were killed there, to which should be added the German deads (I don't have any figures about them, but I've been told it was awfully high too).

1. What is the Russian name of the place?

2. Where is it located? What front was it part of?

3. What was the maximum size (approximate) of the battlefield?

4. How long did the battle last (beginning/ending dates)?

5. What was the first unit engaged in the opening battle?

6. What is there today?

Your hints:

1. The place (town/village) is located somewhere in the northern part of the Eastern Front of the GPW.

2. The place (town/village) was not fortified or was a fortress.

3. The place was 100 % destroyed during GPW and never rebuilt. The place - as it was before GPW - dosen't exist anymore.

4. The place has a river running through.

5. The place "has been most certainly the utmost "meat-grinder" of the whole eastern front in term of casualties per square km (or m, or cm), and from the incredible amount of iron/lead/steel/whatever other metal that has been thrown there."

6. It might be located within the Volkhov Front :unsure: .

7. It should be located (rather far) west from Tikhvin.

8. It should be located north of Staraya Russa.

9. There might be now a monument at the location of the former town/village :unsure: .

Our failures:

It is not:

- Leningrad

- Stalingrad

- Sevastopol

- Rzhev

- Smolensk

- Kursk

- Oranienbaum

- Peterhof

- Staraya Russa

- Tikhvin

- Riga

Maybe my summing up helps ...

Christian

Edited by Christian Zulus

Dear Marc,

many thanks :cheers: .

"Soviet Verdun" & hughe losses indicate to the period after the Vlasov-debacle :unsure: .

One of the meat grinding Volkhov battles of 1942/43 :unsure: .

When to start and when to end :unsure: ?

At the Novgorod Kremlin http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Novgorod_Kremlin there is a big monument commemorating the battles against the Nazis at the river Volkhov:

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_02_2008/post-922-1202755885.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_02_2008/post-922-1202755901.jpg

Christian

It could be Riga, and the River Dvina???

I would like to take the opportunity to say Welcome to hipnos, an newcomer in the Quiz !!!!! :jumping::jumping::beer:

Cheers.

Ch.

Guys,

Re-reading my previous hint, I must precise/clarify one thing: there was a village standing in the very spot where the battle took place; this village was entirely destroyed and was never rebuilt. Now, the name of the place is NOT the name of the village itself (I'd be really surprized if anyone came up with the actual name of the village).

Marc

Re-reading my previous hint, I must precise/clarify one thing: there was a village standing in the very spot where the battle took place; this village was entirely destroyed and was never rebuilt. Now, the name of the place is NOT the name of the village itself (I'd be really surprized if anyone came up with the actual name of the village).

Dear Marc,

to keep Christophe's quiz running: Maybe one or two more hints - time period (?) :love: .

Christian

Maybe when we switched "machines" end of december / beginning of January .... :cheeky:

Guys,

All being very quiet on the Eastern Front :rolleyes: I'll try to point you in the right direction.

Hint of the day: the place name comprises 2 words, one of which refers to an extremely famous Russian warrior.

Marc

Hey, I'm back after 10 days travelling in India and Singapore... :jumping:

The fact is that we are now only 8 Members to animate and post in the Quiz. This does not mean that more Members don't read and look at it, but only a few of us actively participate.

I think we have now to solve Marc's challenge, and maybe for a while try to post easier challenges to attract new Members, or make some come back...

What do you think ?

And, now, back to Marc's question and hints. :rolleyes:

Cheers.

Ch.

Here are my proposals :

1. What is the Russian name of the place?

Nevsky Pyatachok , in Russian: Не́вский пятачо́к

2. Where is it located? What front was it part of?

50 km East of St Petersburg. Part of the Leningradsky front / Volkhov Front.

3. What was the maximum size (approximate) of the battlefield?

1 km.

4. How long did the battle last (beginning/ending dates)?

From January 1942 to January 1943.

5. What was the first unit engaged in the opening battle?

45th Guard Rifle Division.

6. What is there today?

A National Memorial, built as part of the "Green Belt of Glory" commemorating the heroic resistance during the siege of Leningrad.

Ch.

Edited by Christophe

Dear Christophe,

congratulations - I guess, you have got it :D:cheers: .

I couldn't find anything about that location, which should be close to the town of Dubrovna in the Leningrad Oblast http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leningrad_Oblast ... :blush:

That's the Wiki-entry:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nevsky_Pyatachok

That's the mentioned memorial there:

Christian

Edited by Christian Zulus

We need to move on this Quiz !!!!

As we have no news from Marc, and as I think I have got the right answer; as the "boss" of this Quiz, I decide to attribute myself this victory and will therefore ask for the next question, the 178th one... :rolleyes:

To make this Quiz more dynamic, I will ask an easy one, so that more Members will try to participate. :beer:

Question #178

What are the two latest Soviet awards (orders or medals) instituted by the USSR ?

1. Names of these awards ?

2. Date of creation for each ?

The winner is the first one correctly answering both questions.

Come on Members, it's easy !!!! :jumping::jumping:

Good hunt and good luck !!! :rolleyes:

Cheers.

Ch.

Edited by Christophe

Dear Christophe,

speaking about official CCCP-awards, as listed at PMD-Bible or Andrew's Mondvor-website, it's one order and one medal:

- Order of Personal Courage, 28.12.1988

- Strengthening of Fellowship of Arms Medal, 25.05.1979

Christian

We need to move on this Quiz !!!!

As we have no news from Marc, and as I think I have got the right answer; as the "boss" of this Quiz, I decide to attribute myself this victory and will therefore ask for the next question, the 178th one... :rolleyes:

To make this Quiz more dynamic, I will ask an easy one, so that more Members will try to participate. :beer:

Question #178

What are the two latest Soviet awards (orders or medals) instituted by the USSR ?

1. Names of these awards ?

2. Date of creation for each ?

The winner is the first one correctly answering both questions.

Come on Members, it's easy !!!! :jumping::jumping:

Good hunt and good luck !!! :rolleyes:

Cheers.

Ch.