News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Afghan-War era group

This came with NO documentation. sad.gif

It came with Soviet and Afghan "International Warrior" badges and with an Afghan Medal for Combat Service. Part of the group? Who can say.

Guesses to date say KGB colonel-or-above (so 0% chance or less of research?).

1- Order of the October Revolution, var 2, 69482

2- Order of the Red Banner, type 4, 440621

3- The Order of Friendship of Peoples, 10705

4- The Medal for Distinction in Guarding the State Borders of the USSR, type 3

5- PDRA- Border Guard Medal (wrong ribbon, as usual in Soviet groups?)

Help?? user posted image

(And it could, of course, be "made up". Such is life.)

Edited by Ed_Haynes

Guest Rick Research

My gut reaction would be that this is a parts group. Friendship of Peoples is just over the top, and foreign awards are almost always worn separately under Soviet ones.

The October Revolution dates circa 1975, and I just have never seen ANY one of these researched, though they show up with their usual solo-award Orders Books-- and no clue as to recipient's status. As yet another barley harvest to Spetsnaz valor Orders, not a clue!

(Wupsies-- Red Banner #s parargraph removed... see below. Brain malfunction!!!)

I was amazed that research WAS possible on my 1979 Red Star to a divisional commander in Afghanistan--

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=1937

Rick,

you say, the Red-Banner COULD be from the Afghanistan aera, but normally is this serialrange earlier, isn?t it?

For example, i have these two numbers in my database:

454.346 26.10.1955

489.908 30.12.1956

So its probably more an exception to find one in this range, which was awarded for Afghanistan.

It seems, that the Order of the Red-Banner was very rarely awarded after 1956, is that true?

TIA

Gerd

Guest Rick Research

blush.gif Hey, who's awake at 4 AM??? You are right... I was looking at Order of LENIN numbers!!!!! speechless.gifblush.gif

Gerd is absolutely right. cheers.gif ORB is probably a 1950s long service award... and I'd say VERY slim chance these awards all go together: no WW2s etc and a foreign award would not be worn ahead of those.

Time for me to get some beauty sleep! Night all! rolleyes.gif

Hi Ed,

I must say that in my limited experience with Soviet awards and decorations, this is definitely one of the most unique groups I have ever seen. I am hardly qualified to pass judgment on it, or even offer useful evaluation; but I do sincerely hope that it can proven to be a good one and its? recipient can be identified .

Best wishes,

Wild Card

I agree with what has been said by Rick and Gerd.

I just would like to add the ribbon bar has been mounted in a non-professional manner (look at the ribbons). It does not prove anything... but is an usual hint of a lately "made-up" bar...

Cheers.

Ch.

Edited by Christophe

• 2 weeks later...

My gut reaction would be that this is a parts group. Friendship of Peoples is just over the top, and foreign awards are almost always worn separately under Soviet ones.

The October Revolution dates circa 1975, and I just have never seen ANY one of these researched, though they show up with their usual solo-award Orders Books-- and no clue as to recipient's status. As yet another barley harvest to Spetsnaz valor Orders, not a clue!

(Wupsies-- Red Banner #s parargraph removed... see below. Brain malfunction!!!)

I was amazed that research WAS possible on my 1979 Red Star to a divisional commander in Afghanistan--

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=1937

I have an interesting grouping of these medals(order of friendship being one of the orders) belonging to one person. I will scan the book and post it to another thread.

Best regards

Paul Reck

• 2 years later...

Everyone confirms my suspicions. Thanks.

The good news is that the price I had to pay was quite reasonable, essentially the "sum of the parts".

Ed

So far, by the way, research on any of the "parts" continues to come up quite empty. Won't disassemble the bar until there is a good research-based reason to do so, though.

Guest Rick Research

Your only chance is going to be the Red Banner-- and that is virtually guaranteed to be a circa 1954/55 long service award.

Is it "worth" the expense of that, on the off chance it actually went to somebody exciting? (Not TOO exciting, or this wouldn't be his FIRST Red Banner after 20 years service!)