News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Took a chance on this one ! I had a albert commanders cross and details are same ! I was unsure of the swords but in my research I understand there were a large variation on the swords for these ! I guess he won albert bear medal a civilian prewar or as enlisted man ???? all the pieces seem ok to me ! what do you think? all ribbons are no glow under black lite!

Guest Rick Research

Unfortunately Anhalt's 1914-18 award rolls have either been destroyed or are lost and have yet to be found.

I believe for military merit at the front ! someone told me they could also be awarded for single acts of bravery ?? I think last medal is a civil gold merit medal of anhart

I think it is a pretty obscure bar! Not much info out there on anhalt!!!

Ah, now this is some very interresting information!

Assuming the bar itself is an original one (I'm not sure but honestly don't know) a peace time "silver bear" made much more sense on it than the medal, wouldn't it? From what I know the silver and honey bears with swords are very rare, though I have no numbers and with no rolls, as Rick said...

:banger:

PS: scottplen, welcome to the GMIC - just realized you're new here. If you're the scottplen I think my father bought one of your bars on eBay that's in the post right now. ;)

OK, I cannot find the thread, spent quite a bit of time searching. But I know this bar appeared here last year, with no medal in last place. Now... I'm not opposed to completing a group, just hope Scott knew that before he purchased the bar. I believe the bar was originally on eBay. In fact, if memory serves... it was actually auctioned off twice. First time there was some issue with a bidder....

OK, I cannot find the thread, spent quite a bit of time searching. But I know this bar appeared here last year, with no medal in last place. Now... I'm not opposed to completing a group, just hope Scott knew that before he purchased the bar. I believe the bar was originally on eBay. In fact, if memory serves... it was actually auctioned off twice. First time there was some issue with a bidder....

Hello Rich and fellow collectors I got this of browning but it had the last medal ! I have been perplexed by this one

The medals seem correct to me and ribbons seems vintage no glow but when was it mounted not sure but what i paid i figured I would take chance I did not buy it on ebay !got it right off him direct !!! my gut tells me pieces are good ! I know swords are rare for anhalt I have had non sword awards before and the seem same ! I have had 2 commanders neck grades in past with two diffrent type of swords so i know there was large variations on type of swords used I think because they had to be turned in to anhalt for reissue at time of death !The last medal in my mind from a strictly military point of view as an officier should he have it? I guess if it turns out I goofed on this bar guess buyer beware !!! who knows when it was made up

saschaw I think your father got my baden 1870 grouping !!!! I sold a few and bought a few to you rich!!!

Rich whats your gut on it ???? don't worry you won't hurt my feelings !!!!good to find a site like this !!!!!

hello again been going over this medal bar like crazy !!! THE last medal I feel does not belong My guess it should be a honor cross or a ls award ! someone changed out !!!the ribbons on the albert knights crosses are diffrent from it in fact that the merit medal ribbon seems newer! and not folded as others and with a loop i can see the yellow thread on loop is not the same a slight diffrent color yellow !

ribbon seems to be an original piece does not glow under black lite ! and medal seems to be a good one ! Thats the one thing thats bothered me about this bar last medal never made sense to me !!!!

the albert bear knights I believe are good sword awards ! so what to do its been a while since i got this so im sure he won't refund me ! Should I just remove last medal????? or is it better left alone ? i don't like messing with things like this!!!! :speechless1:

... Not much info out there on anhalt!!!

Hi scottplen,

Actually there is an excellent book, Die Orden und Ehrenzeichen der Anhaltischen Staaten 1811-1935, by Gerd Scharfenberg which does a terrific job of covering the awards of the Anhalt states.

Referring to this book, I do not find any swords like the ones on these two badges. The W?rttemberg style center panels on the cross guards, in particular, bother me; but, as you point out, style changes through the years may account for this.

Incidentally, as near as I can determine from Dr. Scharfenberg?s book, there were about sixty first class and ninety second class awards with swords. All things considered, that certainly is a beautiful looking bar.

Regards,

Wild Card

• 2 weeks later...

Took a chance on this one ! I had a albert commanders cross and details are same ! I was unsure of the swords but in my research I understand there were a large variation on the swords for these ! I guess he won albert bear medal a civilian prewar or as enlisted man ???? all the pieces seem ok to me ! what do you think? all ribbons are no glow under black lite!

Hello

Been going nuts reading talking to dealers, collectors ! an I think I figured this bar out

the medals are correct and vintage as is the ribbons Now that being said I took swords of since they bugged me! and two much time has past to get my $ back! the swords in my opnion were added by a person trying to make this bar more ! so what i paid i figure two of the anhalt piece were worth that !

The sword are neatly done but on reverse you can see signs that they had a prong to go on ribbons

and they were neatly sanded flat! and loops were added to swords to attackh to bear order!the medal fasteners to hold medals to bar threads were cut and slid down lower on bar to incorperate the swords and every medal was moved down ! the to match swords !

i always thought medals seemed too low on ribbons! I simple flipped fastens up to old thread marks still under ribbon and resewed them in original place!!! All medal seem to line up better and I believe is original way bar was ! I think this was a non sword award bar ! I must say to Saschaw He was right with the peace time award info !!! also Wildcard was right on with the bogus swords! only thing that stinks is

in moving medals back to original place I messed up anhalt ribbon a bit in getting in and looking at it and moving back up fasteners ! my guess is fastners were added later And old marks and thread were were medals were oridinally sewn on! but who knows !!! only the guy who added swords!!! the ribbons all seem to have same folds!

so guess I learned a lesson ! I should have gotten a $ back return policy!! but I dealt with this guy in past and thought it was ok!!! I like the bar anyhow so I will just keep it for a while !!!

to

Hello

Been going nuts reading talking to dealers, collectors ! an I think I figured this bar out

the medals are correct and vintage as is the ribbons Now that being said I took swords of since they bugged me! and two much time has past to get my $ back! the swords in my opnion were added by a person trying to make this bar more ! so what i paid i figure two of the anhalt piece were worth that !

The sword are neatly done but on reverse you can see signs that they had a prong to go on ribbons

and they were neatly sanded flat! and loops were added to swords to attackh to bear order!the medal fasteners to hold medals to bar threads were cut and slid down lower on bar to incorperate the swords and every medal was moved down ! the to match swords !

i always thought medals seemed too low on ribbons! I simple flipped fastens up to old thread marks still under ribbon and resewed them in original place!!! All medal seem to line up better and I believe is original way bar was ! I think this was a non sword award bar ! I must say to Saschaw He was right with the peace time award info !!! also Wildcard was right on with the bogus swords! See how ribbons under swords are a bit messed up from who ever added swords ! the swords were them sewn down so the medals could not be lifted!

! my guess is fastners were added later And old marks and thread were were medals were oridinally sewn on! but who knows !!! only the guy who added swords!!! the ribbons all seem to have same folds!

so guess I learned a lesson ! I should have gotten a $ back return policy!! but I dealt with this guy in past and thought it was ok!!! I like the bar anyhow so I will just keep it for a while !!!