News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

I'm chuffed

In a desperate attempt at catching up I sent all my money to Herr Doktor To Be in Porscheburg and got a box of goodies.(More on that later) Among the treasures was this '14 EKII on my favorite style mount. Ho hum, you say, another EK. Unlimbering my trusty loupe and gently exposing the ring I discovered, to my delight, a mark. Is it a "7", a "2", a "Z", or possibly an "N"? But that's not the best part. Not satisfied with this inspection I turned my attention to the ?se and, mirabile dictu, found a very clearly incised backwards "J" :jumping: Oh boyoboyoboyoboy :D

Hi Tom,

That's a nice EK, and i really like the mount - un-messed with and straight out of a period photo!

Re the marking, I'd probably rule out the Z & N options as there should be two parallel strokes on those and that flat "tail" leans towards the 7 or 2 or maybe even a P.

Regards

Mike

That was my opinion to, but I thought all numbers were TR manufacture, and this appears to be Imperial. Wha intrigues me is the "j"on the ?se. Hopefully, someday, well learn what all these marks mean'.

Well if it's a 7, it would indicate Paul Meybauer as the maker. Now, was this old stock, because it looks like a period piece as opposed to a TR era made piece. Maybe the Meybauer firm had old stock left over and stamped thier official number on it after 1939 or whenever they brought in the number system. Meybauer did make crosses during both world wars, but as far as I know, no one has identified or come up with a Meybauer marked EK2. I have always wondered about this as they made many EK1's and both classes in WW2. Of course, this all depends on it being a 7 and not something else. It could still be a letter, poorly struck and hard to read like so many from this era. The ribbon looks like it came right out of the WW1 era.

Well if it's a 7, it would indicate Paul Meybauer as the maker. Now, was this old stock, because it looks like a period piece as opposed to a TR era made piece. Maybe the Meybauer firm had old stock left over and stamped thier official number on it after 1939 or whenever they brought in the number system. Meybauer did make crosses during both world wars, but as far as I know, no one has identified or come up with a Meybauer marked EK2. I have always wondered about this as they made many EK1's and both classes in WW2. Of course, this all depends on it being a 7 and not something else. It could still be a letter, poorly struck and hard to read like so many from this era. The ribbon looks like it came right out of the WW1 era.

The core looks like a possible Meybauer, but I just can't picture that ribbon on a TR uniform. Maybe for mufti. There's no sign of any method of attachment, so I imagine it was worn on a string or "comb" in the Austrian style, or maybe just for display. Anyway, I'm still chuffed :D

Tom,

What size is the EK? 42-43 mm (pre-TR) or 44 mm, which would be correct for Meybauer TR?

Even if the marking is a "7", is does NOT necessarily mean this "7" has anything to do with WW2 markings - it could be something similar to the numbers found under the pins of many S-W EK1s (ie quality control, assemblers marking, etc).

Regards

Mike

Tom,

What size is the EK? 42-43 mm (pre-TR) or 44 mm, which would be correct for Meybauer TR?

Even if the marking is a "7", is does NOT necessarily mean this "7" has anything to do with WW2 markings - it could be something similar to the numbers found under the pins of many S-W EK1s (ie quality control, assemblers marking, etc).

Regards

Mike

42.56mm exactly. Pre-TR. I think it's probably issue/20's by an unknown maker. The bottom line,though is I :love: it.

Edited by Tom Y

sorry for the delay....

RING EYE

Z / 2

K / 6

Z / F

N / O

WS / T

N / 5

LW / D

Fr incuse / D

LW / Square box with central dot

W-S / O

We / We

We / K

We / b or 6

A / M

R / D

Z / 5

R/ T

N / box

WE crown/moon/800 /// 5

N / reverse J

P / A

O / Y

R / O

so these are 23 variations of ring/eye MM's

i've found on 1914 EK 2's.

i am SURE there are more.

ahhhh... if they only could talk.

joe

Edited by joe campbell

To the fact that Meybauer and Godet have used the same core design at the first class I don't think this one here is a Meybauer! Remember when the Pr?sidialkanzlei and LDO numbers have showed up.So I'm with Mike here....

Micha

• 5 weeks later...