News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

The insignia certainly looks fine, but I do have some preliminary concerns (which may, in the end, amount to nothing).

The visor embroidery seems to "peter out" at the ends on both sides, which I don't believe is normal. Also, the visor itself appears to have been re-attached, based on the view of the underside, again at the ends on both sides.

What is the interior cap support band made of? Is it treated cardboard or something else? The lining looks a little "short", as well, and does not come as far down on the sides as I am used to seeing.

Again, all these are just initial observations which may be meaningless. Closer photos of the visor and interior would help. Others need to comment.

Best,

Harrier

My main concern would be that it has been "assembled" from original parts. The tail end of the scalloped embroidery on the peak shouldn't be exposed like this. However, it may be that the peak has been re-attached after coming loose - or may have been replaced.

The celluloid sweat diamond certainly look like good, old, brittle celluloid. If the top has simply moved around and is the removable type, I'd like to see the crown with the top removed. That would give some good clues on the interior structure.

Every good KM cap I have seen has the band stiffener may from either opaque celluloid or black or white buckram type material. Very hard to tell what it is on this one.

Has potential. I wouldn't condemn it at this stage, but certainly more info require before it would get a "clean bill of health"

Nesredep,thanks for posting the pictures of the visor for me. Harrier/Gordon, you are right, the top is of the removable type and that goes for the band also. I will try to take some more pictures tonight of the interior/crown. Again thanks to all of you for your comments. As you also stated Gordon the celloid is very brittle and you can hardly touch it without pieces falling of. Cheers Frode

Thanks for posting the pictures for me. My friend who got it said that the guyhe purchased it from said it was his father's and his name was Zimmermann and he had been a S-boot commandant. I got this checked and got the answer bellow ;

There is a Wilhelm Zimmermann listed in the 1937 Km Rangliste as Leut z See, date of rank 1.4.37.

Then in the 1944 list as Kapitanleut date of rank 1.12.41

The 3 vol. Die Deutsche Kriegsmarine gives more details:

Born 3.2.14 in Furstenwalde/Spree, KapitanLeut 1.12.41, 4. Zerstorer Flot. Adj. 4.39 - 9.39, 2. S Flot. Kommandant 10. 39 - 6.40, then time at Lazarette (field hospital), then Sab F.d.S. 2 Asto 1943. released 10.45

Cheers Frode

Michel, Thanks for your input. Always a problem to judge when things are not textbook and a handinspection is definitly better than pictures. I think I will take the chance on it if I get it to the right price. Any more comments ?

Cheers Frode

Michel, Thanks for your input. Always a problem to judge when things are not textbook and a handinspection is definitly better than pictures. I think I will take the chance on it if I get it to the right price. Any more comments ?

Cheers Frode

Hello!

Frode

I told You this Visor looks good.Take the chance on it.Michel said 99%,this is good.

All the best :beer:

Nesredep