News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Fallschirmjager Badges.

Hi John,

The list is as follows;

C.E Juncker.

W.Deumer.

GWL

BSW

G.H Osang.

P. Meybauer.

B&NL.

F.W Assmann.

JMME & Sohn.

Unknown Maker.. Unmarked.

All the maker marks can be found through the link..

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=616

There is also a pretty comprehensive thread on the subject, should you need pix of originals for comparison.

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=595

:beer:

Thank you for your response, John. I dont mean to be a pain yet by looking at the above links, the Junkers badges seem to have different hinges and catches. Was this type of assembly done during a certain time period?

Regards

Paul

Thank you for your response, John. I dont mean to be a pain yet by looking at the above links, the Junkers badges seem to have different hinges and catches. Was this type of assembly done during a certain time period?

Regards

Paul

Is there a metallurgist in the house?

Generally, hinge and catch systems were soldered to the badge. On early nickel silver/tombak/buntmetal badges, the soldering process was quite easy as the manufacturers were working with high grade metals, which meant that the attaching of parts to badges could be made with small amounts of solder. As the war progressed, these high grade metals became harder to come by due to the demands of the war machine and alternate, lower grade metals were utilized in the production of non essential items such as medals and awards.

On the introduction of zinc, it was found that conventional hinge/catch assemblies were harder to attach as it needed a larger amount of solder to make the parts stable. This is when the use of hinge and catch plates came in to existence.

Instead of soldering the hinge/catch directly to the badge, these parts were first soldered to the plate, and then the plate attached to the badge. This gave a larger area to work with and a much more stable platform.

So, this is why you see a difference in reverse setups on early/late badges.

The general rule is? If the badge has a hinge/catch plate, it?s zinc and a late piece. Of course there are exceptions, with certain makers using their own methods in an effort to combat the problems of attaching parts to their zinc badges in the form of riveting, making the hinge an integral part of the die, soldering the catch into a recess in the badge, etc.

Your "Juncker" shows one of the typical setups for their zinc series. As well as the oblong catch plate, Juncker also used a round plate on many of their badges, another characteristic to look out for.

Hope this makes sense.

Hi John,

The list is as follows;

C.E Juncker.

W.Deumer.

GWL

BSW

G.H Osang.

P. Meybauer.

B&NL.

F.W Assmann.

JMME & Sohn.

Unknown Maker.. Unmarked.

Hi John,

Isn't JFS a known and accepted maker as well?? I know I read somewhere that Paras, as obscure as they are, existed by this maker as well and are accepted as originals.

ERIC

Hi John,

Isn't JFS a known and accepted maker as well?? I know I read somewhere that Paras, as obscure as they are, existed by this maker as well and are accepted as originals.

ERIC

Hi de hi, Eric..

I did consider putting JFS in the list as a possible maker but decided against it as I?ve not seen enough evidence to support the theory. As you say, JFS para badges have a certain amount of acceptance. Personally? I remain sceptical, but with an open mind.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Nan Su !

Very interesting LW Para .

I only seen 3 of these "JFS" LW Para badges throught the years I have been on internett .

From pics it looks like a good one to me . Think You have got a good deal on that one .

Jan Arne

Hello Nan Su,

It looks like the others that were deemed acceptable to me as well. As Jan stated,

'very interesting' - I wouldn't call it an outright fake - in a way, I like it alot. :cool:

ERIC