News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

National Guard Medals

Hi,

Can anyone tell me, which medals the National Guard are issued for the current Iraq conflict?

I`ve been told that they get the National Defence Medal, when they join up. Possibley the War on Global Terror Medal (exp) & and possibley the Iraq campaign medal, for service in Iraq, can anyone confirm this for me. Finally, if a National Guardsman, was to be killed in action he`d be entitled to the Purple Heart.

I assume that the National guard is the US counterpart of the Britsh TA?

Gordon.

A National Guardsman called to active duty would qualify for the same awards as a regular Army soldier for similar service, including the Purple Heart. He would also qualify for any awards his state might issue.

The National Guard is roughly equivalent to the TA.

Every state has it's own Army National Guard medals and ribbons they award/issue on top of the normal US Army medals and ribbons(Same applies to the Air National Guard). There is no Naval Service or Marine Corps in the State Military Structures... I dont know why.

Please bear in mind that each state has their own awards system on top of that of the Army and Air Force. Here is an example of this for the State of Maine:

http://armyawards.com/arng/me/meawards.shtml

I dont know why each state has to have their own medals and awards on top of the Federal ones already in existance. These are only for issue to members of the state run military. Federal military members are not eligible (thank God!) for state awards.

National Guard units are state forces until federalized. As such, they fall under the command of the state governor (with the Army/Air Force retaining control of certain aspects of operations for continuity and consistency in doctrine, training, uniforms, policies, etc). Each governor can activate his own National Guard forces, usually for disaster relief these days. These activations are generally restricted to service within the state's borders. States are generally discouraged from attacking other states.

Each state adjutant general (usually political apointees, although usually from the state's forces) has his own program, including awards. State awards can only be worn on the uniform when on state duties. They cannot be worn when on federal duty.

I think New York State still has a Naval Militia component to its National Guard, and that used to have a battalion of Marines. Other states have had naval militia units (New Jersey, Massachusetts and Illinois come to mind), but the Navy has always preferred to have the Navy Reserve rather than naval components of National Guards. This probably has some ancient seagoing tradition behind it, but it is most likely the reluctance of the Navy to give up control to a state authority.

I had no idea that such units ever existed(state controlled naval and marine forces)... sounds like a google search this weekend!

Thank you for your explaination on the manner the two award systems work. I was kind of confused as to how that would work.

Warm regards

Paul

Hi!

When a National Guard unit is deployed in that manner, they are considered "Federalized". Thus they would be awarded the same medals as their Federal/Active Duty counter parts.

Yet... despite this, it seems as if they have a state ribbon or medal as well?!?! :shame:

Here is a link to Wisconsin's State medals...

http://armyawards.com/arng/wi/wiawards.shtml

I do not understand why the state would come up with a medal or ribbon for a deployment to the Middle East when there are already campaign medals designated.

Here is a better look at the ribbon bar. I wish I could get better detail of the clasp.

I will also post the two medals that would most likely be awarded. Please bear in mind that a member deployed will not recieve both medals I am about to post... For Example, I received the Global War Against Terror Expeditionary Medal for my time over there. I did not get the Iraq Campaign medal. Our unit received the GWOT Medals as the Campaign medal was not released yet.

Anaway, I hope that I did not confuse you too much

Edited by Paul Reck

Wisconsin?

See: http://www.omsa.org/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=830

The OMSA database has coverage of many/most of these state medals.

The Gulf War II medal shown is a generic unofficial commercial medal which many states picked up so their "forces" could have just one more medal for liberating Kuwait.

See: http://www.omsa.org/photopost/showphoto.ph...to=1911&cat=657

Ed

I think you might already know this... but here are the medals that could be issued for service in Iraq.

The first one is the Campaign medal for people fighting in and or within 12 miles of Iraq.

Here is the official information...

The Iraq Campaign Medal (ICM) was established by Public Law 108-234 on 28 May 2004 and Executive Order 13363 on 29 November 2004.

The ICM is authorized to be awarded to Soldiers who deploy to Iraq in direct support of Operation IRAQI FREEDOM (OIF) on or after 19 March 2003 to a date to be determined or the cessation of OIF.

The area of eligiblity encompasses all land area of the country of Iraq and the contiguous water area out to 12 nautical miles, and all air spaces above the land area of Iraq and above the contiguous water area out to 12 nautical miles.

To be eligible for the ICM, a Soldier must be assigned or attached to a unit participating in OIF for 30 consecutive days or for 60 nonconsecutive days in Iraq or meet one of the following criteria:

- Be engaged in actual combat against the enemy and under circumstances involving grave danger of death or serious bodily injury from enemy action, regardless of the time in Iraq.

- While participating in OIF or on official duties, regardless of time, is killed or wounded/injured requireing medical evacuation from Iraq.

- While participating as a regularly assigned air crewmember flying sorties into, out of, within, or over Iraq in direct support of OIF; each day that one or more sorties are flown IAW the criteria shall count as one day towards the 30 consecutive or 60 nonconsecutive day requirement.

Service members qualified for the GWOTEM by reasons of service between 19 March 2003 and 30 April 2005, in Iraq, shall remain qualified for the medal. Any such Soldier may be awarded the ICM in lieu of the GWOTEM for such service. Additionally, any such Soldier authorized the arrowhead device may be awarded the ICM with arrowhead device in lieu of the GWOTEM with arrowhead device. No Soldier shall be entitled to both medals for the same act, achievement, or period of service.

Only one award of the ICM may be authorized for any individual. Service stars are not prescribed.

The ICM may be awarded posthumously to any Soldier who lost his/her life while, or as a direct result of, participating in qualifying operations, without regard to length of such service, if otherwise eligible.

Description: On a bronze metal 1 3/8 inches in diameter the relief of Iraq, surmounted by two lines throughout, surmounting a palm wreath. Above is the inscription 'IRAQ CAMPAIGN.' On the reverse, the Statue of Freedom surmounting a sunburst, encircled by two scimitars points down crossed at tip of blades, all above the inscription 'FOR SERVICE IN IRAQ.'

Symbolism: The relief of Iraq represents the area of operation. The lines symbolize the Tigris and Euphrates Rivers, recalling Iraq?s title as 'the land of two rivers.' The palm wreath denotes peace and honor. The Statue of Freedom represents the ideals and goals of the United States army to bring stability and improve the way of life for Iraq. The sunburst symbolizes hope and success. The two scimitars recall the swords erected by Sadam Hussein during his reign; the points down symbolize the goal for freedom of the Iraqi people, after the fall of Hussein. The ribbon reflects the colors of the Iraq flag. Green is the traditional color for Islam. Red honors the fighting courage for the pursuit of freedom. White denotes generosity and black exemplifies Islam?s success.

Medal, regular: NSN 8455-01-527-8023 (includes regular size medal and ribbon bar)

Edited by Paul Reck

The second medal is for service of personel outside the 12 mile radious of Iraq.

Here are the official details...

The Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal (GWOTEM) was established by Executive Order 13289 on 13 March 2003.

The GWOTEM will be awarded to recognize all members of the Armed Forces of the United States serving in or in support of Global War on Terrorism Operations, on or after 11 Sep 01 to a date to be determined.

Soldiers may receive both the GWOTEM and the Global War on Terrorism Service Medal (GWOTSM) if they meet the requirements of both awards; however, the same period of service establishing eligibility for one cannot be used to justify service eligibility for the other.

Initial award is limited to Soldiers deployed abroad in Operations ENDURING FREEDOM and IRAQI FREEDOM in the following Department of Defense designated specific geographic areas of eligibility (AOE): Afghanistan, Bahrain, Bulgaria (Bourgas), Crete, Cyprus, Diego Garcia, Djibouti, Egypt, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Iran, Iraq, Israel, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kenya, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan, Lebanon, Oman, Pakistan, Philippines, Qatar, Romania (Constanta), Saudia Arabia, Somalia, Syria, Tajikistan, Turkey (east of 35 degrees east latitude), Turkmenistan, United Arab Emirates, Uzbekistan, Yemen, that portion of the arabian sea north of 10 degrees north latitude and west of 68 degrees longitude, Bab El Mandeb, Gulf of Aden, Gulf of Aqaba, Gulf of Oman, Gulf of Suez, that portion of the Mediterranean Sea east of 28 degrees east longitude, Persian Gulf, Red Sea, Strait of Hormuz, and Suez Canal.

To be eligible for the GWOTEM a Soldier must be assigned, attached or mobilized to a unit participating in designated operations for 30 consecutive days or for 60 nonconsecutive days in the AOE, or meet one of the following criteria:

- Be engaged in actual combat against the enemy and under circumstances involving grave danger of death or serious bodily injury from enemy action, regardless, of time in the AOE.

- While participating in the designated operation, regardless of time, is killed or wounded/injured requiring medical evacuation from the AOE.

- Soldiers participating as a regularly assigned air crew member flying sorties into, out of, within, or over the AOE in direct support of Operations ENDURING FREEDOM and/or IRAQI FREEDOM. Each day that one or more sorties are flown IAW the criteria shall count as one day towards the 30 consecutive or 60 nonconsecutive day requirement.

Under no condition will any soldiers in the United States receive the GWOTEM. Only Soldiers serving in an operationally deployed status within the AOE are eligible for the GWOTEM.

Only one award of the GWOTEM may be authorized for any individual. A message will be transmitted at a later date by the Military Awards Branch to address battle stars/service stars.

Effective 30 April 2005, the GWOTEM is no longer authorized to be awarded for service in Afghanistan and/or Iraq. However, the GWOTEM is still authorized for service in the other geographical areas of eligibility.

Service members qualified for the GWOTEM by reasons of service between 24 October 2001 and 30 April 2005, in Afghanistan, shall remain qualified for the medal. Any such soldier may be awarded the Afghanistan Campaign Medal (ACM) in lieu of the GWOTEM for such service. Additionally, any such soldier authorized the arrowhead device may be awarded the ACM with arrowhead device in lieu of the GWOTEM with arrowhead device. No soldier shall be entitled to both medals for the same act, achievement or period of service.

Service members qualified for the GWOTEM by reasons of service between 19 March 2003 and 30 April 2005, in Iraq, shall remain qualified for the medal. Any such soldier may be awarded the Iraq Campaign Medal (ICM) in lieu of the GWOTEM for such service. Additionally, any such soldier authorized the arrowhead device may be awarded the ICM with arrowhead device in lieu of the GWOTEM with arrowhead device. No soldier shall be entitled to both medals for the same act, achievement or period of service.

Description: A bronze color metal disc 1 3/8 inches in diameter, charged with a shield adapted from the Great Seal of the United States surmounting two swords hilts to base saltirewise enclosed within a wreath of laurel; overall an eagle, wings displayed, grasping in its claws a serpent. On the reverse, the eagle, serpent and swords from the front of the medal with the encircling inscription 'WAR ON TERRORISM EXPEDITIONARY MEDAL.'

Symbolism: The shield and eagle represent the United States. The swords denote readiness and the resolve to fight international terrorism, which is symbolized by the serpent crushed in the eagle?s claws. The wreath denotes honor and achievement.

Edited by Paul Reck

The relations between and among these four new US medals (the two for the so-called "GWOT") and the two for Iraq and Afghanistan are, at best, complex. It seem clear that whoever came up with them never envisioned multi-tour (multi-generational?) deployments (i.e., they'd never read the military history of these areas). And I am not even touching issues of phaleristic "design" here!

I think New York State still has a Naval Militia component to its National Guard, and that used to have a battalion of Marines. Other states have had naval militia units (New Jersey, Massachusetts and Illinois come to mind), but the Navy has always preferred to have the Navy Reserve rather than naval components of National Guards. This probably has some ancient seagoing tradition behind it, but it is most likely the reluctance of the Navy to give up control to a state authority.
    The Navy hasn't always preferred a Naval Reserve, as the Naval Reserve wasn't founded until 1915. Most of the formal state naval militias also only date from the late 1800s.

The main reason is not rooted in seagoing tradition or Navy politics, but in the constitutional structure of the armed forces. Article I, Section 8 of the Constitution states that "The Congress shall have power... [t]o raise and support armies," and "[t]o provide and maintain a navy". It was envisioned that there would not be a standing army (or at least much of one) but there would be a standing navy. Thus, for land warfare, the maintenance and existence of state militias was necessary to allow for the raising of armies in times of war, but since there already was a standing navy, the same reliance on states was not necessary.

Even today the Navy doesn't rely much on reserves. There is no Navy National Guard, and the Selected Naval Reserve (those that actually belong to reserve units) is about 20% of total Navy strength. By contrast, the Army Reserve and Army National Guard together outnumber the active Army. The Air Guard and the Air Force Reserve are about one third of total Air Force strength.

Mobilization also shows the difference in service philosophies. As of October 5, 2005, 122,147 Army National Guardsmen and Army Reservists are called up, but only 4,610 Navy Reservists, 6,732 Air National Guardsmen and Air Force Reservists, 8,606 Marine Corps Reservists, and 519 Coast Guard Reservists. These numbers fluctuate - in Spring 2003, during the height of conventional combat operations in Iraq, more than 35,000 Air National Guardsmen and Air Force Reservists were called up - but I don't think Naval Reserve call-ups have ever exceeded 12,000 since September 11, 2001.

And while the Army has called up entire combat brigades (and even several division headquarters), and the Air Force entire wings, most Naval Reservists called up are individual augmentees or from Navy Cargo Handling Battalions and Naval Mobile Construction Battalions (Seabees).

• 1 month later...
    • 4 months later...

We do need to be careful to distinguish between between awards for Gulf War II ("Liberation" of Kuwait) and Gulf War III (Invasion and Occupation of Iraq). Some of these are GWII, some GWIII, some broader than either. Yes, very complex, sprawling, and uncoordinated.

(And then there's Afghanistan, and . . . ?)