News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Round 3 question

don

It's all down to supply and demand. Until recently no reference books even mentioned the "round 3". They were always there of course, but there was no differentiation between them and any other EK, so the prices were just the same as any other EK.

The unfortunate downside of research into any award that ends up identifying those variants that are less often encountered is that it makes them, to some collectors, more desirable and thus increases demand and therefore prices. Don't blame dealers, they just reflect the market. If the collector thinks they are too expensive - don't buy them, - and the prices will come down. It won't work of course because for every enthusiast who thinks - "sod that, no way I am paying ?xx for one of those, there will be 10 who think yes, yes, yes ?xxx, I don't care I've got to have one"

The answer is, of course, ignore the overpriced 3rd Reich EKs, and go for the high quality very reasonably priced and more historically significant Imperial pieces. :D

• 3 weeks later...
    • 2 weeks later...

Chris,

You are exactly right. When I collected EK's, I wanted the variants. I couldn't understand why anyone would want to collect one of every maker of the 1939 EK when they all looked basically the same. I wanted the round 3, the Type B (Gordon saw that one), etc... And, I picked my Type B up for the price of a normal EKII. The dealer missed it.

Different strokes for different folks.

marshall-

i think it is TERRIBLY unkind of you to wave

those TWO rounders under my nose...

you should immediately place one of them

in an envelope and send it my way. that way

you would feel much better and i would be one step

closer to owning as many TR EK's as i ever will.

seriously, those are STRIKING crosses and leave

little to the imagination.

lucky man!

joe

marshall- i think it is TERRIBLY unkind of you to wave those TWO rounders under my nose...joe

Joe

You started it!! http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?s=&showtopic=2...indpost&p=26186 :love:

Ye who waveth thoust spectacular piece first shalt not cast the 1st stone...

.....but thank you!

Like Jim (Panzerman), I'm a variant only collector... the rarer B-Types were top of the list for 1939 EK2 and I now shudder.. and I mean SHUDDER when I reflect on what I paid for the 1st one .. whereas I stumbled on the 2nd for the price of a normal standard three EK2.

Truly it is each to there own... I know mant collectors would not have an 'ugly' B-type anywhere near their collections.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.. but even with that in mind, your stunning 1914 EK2 wins HANDS DOWN IMO.

Marshall

Edited by Biro

i agree, especially on the TR variants.

i have ~20 1939 EK 2's, and the round 3

and the schinkel B are really the only two

left that i have a strong interest in owning.

however, it is difficult to walk away from a

crisp EK in mint, unissued condition. most of

my recent TR pieces have been the result of

trades.

it sounds like there is more than one person

out there who has happened onto the round

3 by simply looking closely at the cross!!

hope it happens to me.

joe