News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Soviet & Eastern Block Quiz

• Replies 2.1k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, in a probably-all-too-easy effort at not burning out the limited brains of all "players" (as Chuck maybe came close to doing):

What (single) British (and Commonwelath) woman received the Order of the Red Banner of Labor (Labour?) during the Great Patriotic War?

OK, a simple (?) online London Gazette search may solve it, but please by-pass that frustrating way to answer this.

Should no one get it, there is an extra-credit question:

What "politically incorrect" (for the time) gallantry awards had her father and husband received? And why?

Should take HOW MANY seconds . . . ???

Too easy, OK. :banger:

Ed,

Not so easy :rolleyes: ...

I think I have an answer, but maybe not the right one : by chance,... did she die in 1977 ?

I have found several women awarded this Order, but am not sure they correspond in all points to your description...

I let the others guess... :blush:

Cheers.

Ch.

OK, in a probably-all-too-easy effort at not burning out the limited brains of all "players" (as Chuck maybe came close to doing):

What (single) British (and Commonwelath) woman received the Order of the Red Banner of Labor (Labour?) during the Great Patriotic War?

OK, a simple (?) online London Gazette search may solve it, but please by-pass that frustrating way to answer this.

Should no one get it, there is an extra-credit question:

What "politically incorrect" (for the time) gallantry awards had her father and husband received? And why?

Should take HOW MANY seconds . . . ???

Too easy, OK. :banger:

No one ?

Who will try answering Ed's question ? Don't be too shy... :P:rolleyes:

Cheers.

Ch.

I have no idea about the "politically incorrect" awards, her father or husband may have gotten, but the woman could be Baroness Clementine Spencer-Churchill, wife of Winston Churchill for her chairmanship of the Red Cross Fund to Russia? Am i close? :unsure:

No, Gerd, not close, right! Clementine Ogilvy Spencer-Churchill, Baroness Spencer-Churchill, GBE, CStJ (n?e Clementine Ogilvy Hozier; 1 April 1885 ? 12 December 1977). Her father (at least he might have been her father) was awarded the Iron Cross 2nd class 1870 with oak leaves and her husband (who was her husband) was awarded the Spanish Order of Military Merit. Both awards later became, of course, identified with "the Narzi enemy", directly or indirectly.

I want to see HER gongs! (Oops, can I say that? :blush: )

Your turn, Gerd!

Edited by Ed_Haynes

I have no idea about the "politically incorrect" awards, her father or husband may have gotten, but the woman could be Baroness Clementine Spencer-Churchill, wife of Winston Churchill for her chairmanship of the Red Cross Fund to Russia? Am i close? :unsure:

Great Gerd!!!!! :jumping::jumping::jumping:

We were waiting for YOU!!!!

Congrats!!! Your turn now!! ;)

Cheers.

Ch.

Edited by Christophe

No, Gerd, not close, right! Clementine Ogilvy Spencer-Churchill, Baroness Spencer-Churchill, GBE, CStJ (n?e Clementine Ogilvy Hozier; 1 April 1885 ? 12 December 1977). Her father (at least he might have been her father) was awarded the Iron Cross 2nd class 1870 with oak leaves and her husband (who was her husband) was awarded the Spanish Order of Military Merit. Both awards later became, of course, identified with "the Narzi enemy", directly or indirectly.

I want to see HER gongs! (Oops, can I say that? :blush: )

Your turn, Gerd!

BTW, any idea where they are ?

A good question, Ed... as usual. Thanks!!! :jumping::jumping::jumping:

Ch.

Time and opportunity for updating some statistics :

This small game has been launched for more than 6 months now (1st November 2005) :jumping::beer: , and since :

* 28 questions have been asked,

* They have generated 339 answers,

* This quiz has been viewed more than 3405 times,

* 19 Members of the Forum (including myself) have played,

* and we are 14 to have correctly answered at least 1 question, with the following number of good answers :

* 4 good answers : Bryan (Soviet).

* 3 good answers : Christophe.

* 2 good answers : Andreas (Alfred), Chuck (in Oregon), Ed (Haynes), Gerd (Becker) and Jan (vatjan).

* 1 good answer : Darrell, Dave (Navy FCO), Dudeman, Kim (Kimj), Rick (Stogieman), Steen (Ammentorp) and Wild Card.

Thanks to all for your participation!!! :jumping::jumping:

Now, let's have fun with the 29th question, Gerd's one !!! :rolleyes:

Cheers.

Ch.

• 2 weeks later...

Just noticed now that this quiz has been moved from the "Soviet & Eastern Block Orders, Medals & Decorations" subforum to the "Soviet & Eastern Block Militaria" one... :speechless1:

Any reason for this ? I just hope Members will find it... :unsure:

Ch.

Guest Rick Research

Subjects range alllllllllll over the place-- hence the non awards specific relocation.

It is not as if this is the Gulag, Comraids! :P

Subjects range alllllllllll over the place-- hence the non awards specific relocation.

It is not as if this is the Gulag, Comraids! :P

Fair 'nuff, I guess. But "militaria" not the same as ODM. Some of us may not care about bayonets and insigniae.

But your call, herr grupperfuhrer -- oops -- tovarich commissar.

Gulag, here I come, . . . .

Edited by Ed_Haynes

Guest Rick Research

Actually, if you people keep ON with this instead of starting a NEW Thread Nick may need to build a sub-Forum JUST for this! Why, the download time alone now stands at "turkey dinner timing!" :rolleyes:

EIGHTEEN pages... and counting!!!! :speechless1:

I shudder to think what would happen if youze wuz playin' for MONEY!!!! :lol::cheers:

Rick,

No pb with the new location... Your decision. :rolleyes:

But, about the download time ? There are in fact only 66 pics in these 18 pages, which is low and similar or comparable to many other threads in the Forum... :rolleyes:

But, no matter, we will feel comfortable soon with our new "home"... ;)

Cheers.

Ch.

PS : Money ? What's money ? Never have heard about this... :cheeky: