News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Soviet & Eastern Block Quiz

Soviet and Chuck,

Thanks for the last ones!! :beer: Good questions and answers!!! For a while, as there were several questions together and simultaneously, I just wondered if a famous russian female singer could have been a weapon designer, or a colleague of Beria... or the contrary... or the contrary of the contrary :P ... :speechless: (Just kidding...).

Now, it's Kim (kimj)'s turn.

Kim, Your turn, now!!!

Cheers.

Ch.

• Replies 2.1k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(...) (I never play. If I remarkably DO know an answer, I can't think of a question, or vice versa. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.... (...)

Rick,

You should!!!! As your avatar, you seem too serious!!! But, that's you :P !!! :beer:

Cheers.

Ch.

Here is my question. This is a pic of a soviet hero from outside the USSR. What is his name and when did he become a Hero? For extra credits write a short essay on why he became a Hero.... :P

/Kim

While Nasser got the HSU, this isn't him. I think -- away from reference books -- that this is another Egyptian, Field Marshal Hakim Abdel Amer. I think I recall it was also awarded to Ben Bella of Algeria, but this isn't him, I think. Stay with Amer for my guess. Will have to check research notes and revert.

Ed is right! That?s our man: Hakim Abdel Amer (عبد الحكيم عامر)! He made hero 13 may 1964, gold star #11 225. (I wonder where that is today...)

He got his title when Khrushchev was in Egypt to see the Aswan Dam. Amer had got to know Khrushchev in Moscow on a mission to get soviet help for the dam. Khrushchev was rather generous with ?political? hero titles and awarded Nasser the same day as Amer. Ben Bella got his two weeks before. I guess you have to bring some gifts to your hosts when you visit. Personally I think flowers or a bottle of wine is more than enough....

Amer was also the big Egyptian loser of the six-day-war. He was stripped of all power and ?retired?. He and a group of co-conspirators were later arrested and accused of plotting a coup against Nasser. In jail he got the Rommel choice: trial and a certain conviction of treason OR suicide. Amer chose suicide and full military burial.

/Kim

Time and opportunity for some statistics :

This small game has been launched for more than 4 months now (1st November 2005), and since :

* 24 questions have been asked,

* They have generated 284 answers,

* This quiz has been viewed more than 2680 times,

* 18 Members of the Forum (including myself) have played,

* and we are 14 to have correctly answered at least 1 question, with the following number of good answers :

* 4 good answers : Bryan (Soviet).

* 3 good answers : Christophe.

* 2 good answers : Andreas (Alfred), Ed (Haynes) and Jan (vatjan).

* 1 good answer : Chuck (in Oregon), Darrell, Dave (Navy FCO), Dudeman, Gerd (Becker), Kim (Kimj), Rick (Stogieman), Steen (Ammentorp) and Wild Card.

Thanks to all for your participation!!! :jumping::jumping:

Now, let's have fun with the 25th question, Ed's one !!!

Cheers.

Ch.

OK, try this:

Why is IO-16764 (16984?) Subadar Birta Sing Gurung, Bahadur, OBI, MC, 1/3rd Queen Alexandra's Own Gurkha Rifles, special and why is he especially relevant to this sub-forum (and this question)? Be as specific as possible.

Have fun. :beer:

(Extra credit if you know where his medals are. Even more extra credit if you send them along to me. :jumping: )

That's a tough one.

I always think of Sing/Singh as a Sikh name and I think that would be consistent with being a Gurkha. I found on Google that he was awarded an OPW-1 in 1944, which seems unusual and may be the genesis of your question.

I also found an interesting medal site created by a certain GMIC member. I thought I might steal the info from there, but I was unsuccessful. BTW Ed, tough loss yesterday for the Eagles. I thought they were going to win it.

I'll keep trying.

Chuck

That's a tough one.

I always think of Sing/Singh as a Sikh name and I think that would be consistent with being a Gurkha. I found on Google that he was awarded an OPW-1 in 1944, which seems unusual and may be the genesis of your question.

I also found an interesting medal site created by a certain GMIC member. I thought I might steal the info from there, but I was unsuccessful. BTW Ed, tough loss yesterday for the Eagles. I thought they were going to win it.

I'll keep trying.

Chuck

A good Gorkha name.

Close, very close, maybe a winner. Forgot I had most of the answer up there. Oops. :banger:

Only our university president cares about OUR sports teams. I, as a triple Duke graduate, have my mind elsewhere this time of year. :P

Will hold off (unfairly?) declaring a winner for a bit . . . .

Ed

Ed,

What do you think of Chuck's last answer ? Is he the winner ? :Cat-Scratch:

Ch.

Until his last answer, Chuck was the winner :P

Despite his last answer, Chuck is the winner!

:beer:

IO-16764 (16984?) Subadar Birta Sing Gurung, Bahadur, OBI, MC, 1/3rd Queen Alexandra's Own Gurkha Rifles, was the one and only Indian (OK, including Nepali) winner of the OPW. Natives (of the British Isles) don't count.

Never have websites up that have the answer. :speechless:

Over to you Chuck . . . .

:jumping:

Until his last answer, Chuck was the winner :P

Despite his last answer, Chuck is the winner!

:beer:

IO-16764 (16984?) Subadar Birta Sing Gurung, Bahadur, OBI, MC, 1/3rd Queen Alexandra's Own Gurkha Rifles, was the one and only Indian (OK, including Nepali) winner of the OPW. Natives (of the British Isles) don't count.

Never have websites up that have the answer. :speechless:

Over to you Chuck . . . .

:jumping:

Doggone it! Missed it by thaaat much. But still declared the winner ... by technical knock-out. Christophe, will I have to have an asterisk by my name in your stats? I deny all rumors of steroid-enhanced productivity. That was a darned good question.

When I found the 7 April 1944 London Gazette supplement at http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/archiveDo...PageDuplicate=n that listed a group of British subjects (is there a better term?) authorized to wear various high-level Soviet awards -- Suvorov-3, Kutusov-3, Nevski, this OPW-1 and other awards -- it never occurred to me that this might be the only OPW-1 issued to an Indian soldier. I thought there must be an "and ..." in there somewhere. But nooooo! (Thank you, John Belushi.) So I didn't get the answer from your website. I wasn't above that, mind you. I just didn't see it.

My turn again? How can I live up to what has gone before? I'll try to find a photo or item around here that might stump one or two of you. I have one in mind but my translation of the citation is poor-to-God-awful so I'll try to get a better one before I post it, maybe by the week-end. Meanwhile, if anyone else wants to step in first, be my guest. Please?

A triple Dukie, Ed? My God, couldn't you get admitted anywhere else? Meanwhile, my hapless Oregon Ducks (they did somehow beat Arizona in the regular season and Washington in the Pac-10 tournament) watch the tournament on TV. Duke is my pick to win it all unless they come against a big guy who has a monster game. I think an opponent with a talented big guy might be their Achilles heel.

How can a mere mortal compete with questions from a triple Dukie?

Chuck

• 2 weeks later...

Chuck,

It's your turn now :beer: !! Don't be afraid about competition :rolleyes: ; I'm sure your question will give us hard time!!!

Cheers.

Ch.

I have the photo picked out already. It's an ex-Museum of the Revolution propaganda photo with a note of ID on the back and the museum exhibit number. I need a better translation of the note than I can offer as Cyrillic cursive is difficult-to-impossible for me. When I get it, which should be next Friday, I'll post my question.

Chuck