News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Soviet & Eastern Block Quiz

• Replies 2.1k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it possible that the Khrushchev picture is reversed?

Dear Soviet,

many thanks for your congratulations :beer: .

Yes, I also think, that the picture is reversed, but in 1942/43 the officers where still rather "free" in how to present their orders and medals, I think. Specially Khrushchev was always "over-correct" and so I think, that the picture should be the other way round.

It is also interesting at your picture of the four friends, that we see 3 high-ranking Party-Dudes and only one (1) real and authentic general around the map planning the great counter-offensive. The want to show us the important role of the Communist Party in the GPW :P:P:P .

Sorry for my German-English transliteration of the new question :blush: . Anybody else, who as an idea about the answer of my new question?

Best regards

Christian

Edited by Christian Zulus

Gentlemen,

I also thought that the picture was reversed; but if you check it against the picture in post #623, you will notice that all tunics are buttoned left over right. So I am inclined to think that the picture is a correct illustration of that short period when the new regulations regarding the wearing of decorations was not yet sorted out? Refer to the Red Bible, page 86, where we see Rokossovsky wearing his first type Suvorov on the left side.

Regards,

Wild Card

Edited by Wild Card

NEW QUESTION

Gentlemen,

again a very easy question, to make the process faster ;) :

What do we see at the front of SU-Medal: "Medal of Merit in Teaching and Education USSR" ("Medal Sa saslugi w obutschenije i wospitanije CCCR")??????

Please describe what you see in a few words - thanks :beer:

Second, very small additional, question:

What is the more familiar name among collectors for this prestigious (and rare) Soviet State-Medal?

Best regards :beer:

Christian

BTW: It is a very nice, small and beautiful medal in silver.

Sorry Christophe,

it is not this medal :( .

The medal in question is about the same size, also round, also the same hanger, but it is made of genuine silver (not german silver) and the ribbon has two small yellow stripes at the border.

You can see a (rather) famous person at the av. of the medal :P .

The market value of the medal in question is also a bit higher, than the "People's Teacher of the USSR".

Christian

BTW: The person at the av. of the medal had some relationship to comrade Lenin ...

KRUPSKAYA-MEDAL

Dear Christope,

congratulations, you are right :beer: .

It is the so-called "Krupskaya-Medal" - rather rare and rather unknown.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nadezhda_Kons...novna_Krupskaya

Here is the entry of this medal in Dr. Herfurth's booklet (4th edition):

So it is your turn, Christophe :P .

Best regards

Christian

So, we can imagine this medals depicts Nadejda Krupskaia... :rolleyes:

But, I have to say I'm not able to answer the other parts of the question...

Any other try to answer Christian's one?

Ch.

But Christian, what was the ansewer to your additional question : "What is the more familiar name among collectors for this prestigious (and rare) Soviet State-Medal?" ?

Ch.

BTW, I'm furious against myself, as I used several time this book this afternoon, without even seeing its pages 156 and 157... where the medal is shown!!! :speechless:

"What is the more familiar name among collectors for this prestigious (and rare) Soviet State-Medal?"

Dear Christophe,

simply "Krupskaya-Medal" - nothing more :P .

BTW: I have never seen such a medal at the market - have you any idea about the market value? The medal looks nice and the design is good.

Christian

Edited by Christian Zulus

I have never seen myself such a medal. The only clue I have about its market value (but nothing scientific here) is that Herfurt in 2004, in his book, gave it the same value (plus 10%) than the one I posted earlier (the "People's Teacher of the USSR"). This could give a market value around $800-850 for the Krupskaya-Medal... :rolleyes: But, again, here nothing exact. Pure supposition...

Ch.

Soviet Prize-Medals as super-bargains?

Dear Christophe,

many thanks for the link :beer:

I also think, that this - USD 800,- to 850,- - would be the present price range.

I have in my collection the medal "Meritorious Pilot of the CCCP" (no s/n. and with the rv. ident with the picture in the right corner at p. 134 in Herfurth's booklet) and this - also extremly rare - medal sells at the present for the same money.

It is rather strange, that the ultra-rare state-prize-medals have such a moderate market value :unsure: . Except the Stalin-Prize-Medals, which cost several times more, but are still - in relation to rarity & historical importance - completly underrated in their value.

Maybe the Prize-Medals are to rare to gain adequate market prices :unsure: ?

So, do you have a new question for us :P ?

Best regards

Christian

Soviet Prize-Medals as super-bargains?

(...)

It is rather strange, that the ultra-rare state-prize-medals have such a moderate market value :unsure: . Except the Stalin-Prize-Medals, which cost several times more, but are still - in relation to rarity & historical importance - completly underrated in their value.

Maybe the Prize-Medals are to rare to gain adequate market prices :unsure: ?

So, do you have a new question for us :P ?

Best regards

Christian

Christian,

I agree with your points. Specifically when you think they are so difficult to find...

For the question : let me think about it... :rolleyes:

Cheers.

Ch.

While the whole range of "prize" medals are badly unappreciated, they are also hurt by the pro-military bias that exists within phaleristics. While killing Hitlerites is (surely) a worthy act, so is teaching little children?

A lovely medal, Christian!

While the whole range of "prize" medals are badly unappreciated, they are also hurt by the pro-military bias that exists within phaleristics. While killing Hitlerites is (surely) a worthy act, so is teaching little children?

A lovely medal, Christian!

Dear Ed,

wise words - you are exactly right :beer: .

Such groups like that http://www.collectrussia.com/DISPITEM.HTM?ITEM=12161 would be great pieces of human history, if the group would contain the torne out photographs, include the big HSL-award-document, the medal "People's Physician of the CCCP" and the prize-medal shown on the photograph (Lenin-Prize :unsure: ?). The asked price would be o.k., if the booklets wouldn't be mutilated and the big document included. Igor notes about the group: "The recipient, Galina Safronenko, was Chief Gynecologist of the Kherson Region of the Ukraine. She is still remembered there as an extraordinary doctor who had saved many lives. The citation in his Hero's certificates reads "for outstanding achievements in safeguarding health of Soviet people".

Another point is, that the collectors argue, that Labour Awards can't be researched. But if someone manages to get access to the archives of the (former) Supreme Soviet, than everything might be possible. There have to be records about confering Labour Awards.

Best regards

Christian

Talking about historical Merit of Stalin Prizes look at this one:

http://www.collectrussia.com/DISPITEM.HTM?ITEM=11539

Awsome historical piece :jumping:

Order of Victory

Dear "Order of Victory",

great set, for at great artist!

It would be even greater, if it would be from the early 1940s with the ORGINAL signature in blue ink of comrade Stalin and with the filled in entry of issuing date in the small ID-booklet ;) .

But the price, Igor asks for his Stalin-1cl-set, is moderate - taking the rarity and historical weight into consideration.

Christian

Dear "Order of Victory",

great set, for at great artist!

It would be even greater, if it would be from the early 1940s with the ORGINAL signature in blue ink of comrade Stalin and with the filled in entry of issuing date in the small ID-booklet ;) .

But the price, Igor asks for his Stalin-1cl-set, is moderate - taking the rarity and historical weight into consideration.

Christian

Christian,

Unfortunatly you cant have everything :lol:

I agree its well worth the money, if only I had the money :banger:

BTW Igor has a third class doc with Comrades Jo's signature on for 3450 usd :jumping:

Order of Victory

• 2 weeks later...

On this Christmas Day, I will make my question an easy one... :rolleyes: A gift... :P

Where is this very nice Order of Victory located ?

1. City and complete name of the location ?

2. Name of the room ?

3. When has it been possible for the public to see this specific Order for the 1st time ?

The first member who gives the correct answer to all 3 questions is the winner!!!! :jumping:

Good luck!!

Cheers.

Ch.

Edited by Christophe