News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Soviet & Eastern Block Quiz

128th Question :

Who am I ?

I finished my carrier as Chief of Staff of the Warsaw Pact Forces.

In terms of Soviet Orders and Medals, I have a real specificity...

2 questions :

1. Who Am I ?

2. What is this specificity ?

Good hunt and good luck... :rolleyes:

Ch.

• Replies 2.1k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pavel Ivanovich Batov (1897? 1985)

Dear Christophe,

the comrade in question looks like Pavel Ivanovich Batov:

http://www.theeasternfront.co.uk/Commander...ssian/batov.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pavel_Batov

Well, he got 2x Hero of the Soviet Union, 7 Lenin, 3 Red Banners, three Orders of Suvorov 1cl and 2 Badges of Honour.

Lenin + RB for Spanish Civil War and one Lenin for the Finnish War.

I couldn't find out any "abnormailities" about the decorations of comrade Batov :unsure: .

Best regards :beer:

Christian

128th Question :

Who am I ?

I finished my carrier as Chief of Staff of the Warsaw Pact Forces.

In terms of Soviet Orders and Medals, I have a real specificity...

2 questions :

1. Who Am I ?

2. What is this specificity ?

Ch.

Edited by Christian Zulus

Pavel Ivanovich Batov (1897? 1985)(...)

I couldn't find out any "abnormailities" about the decorations of comrade Batov :unsure: .

Christian

So, it's not him... He has a real specificity!! :P

A hint : our man was born in 1896.

Ch.

So, it's not him... He has a real specificity!! :P

A hint : our man was born in 1896.

Ch.

The Man must be my friend Aleksei Innokentiewich Antonov

He had the order Virtuti Militari from Poland.

Only Leonid B. had one as well

Regards Frank

Frank,

You're right. :jumping::jumping:You have found the right man, and therefore, are the winner!!!! Congrats.

But the real specificity of Antonov is not linked to the Order of Virtuti Militari. I tis linked to a Soviet order. Do you know which one.

I'll post later the pic saying why...

Cheers.

Ch.

Dear Christophe,

so it might be Joe Andry or Mikhail Kazakov, I guess :unsure: ?

Christian

Hi Christian,

Nice tries, but Frank has found our man and is the winner :beer: . But, now, knowing who our man is; what is his specificity in terms of Soviet Orders and Medals?

Cheers.

Ch.

Hi, besides the fakt that Mr. Antonov had got the Order of victory like 14 others I cannot find anything unusual. .

Frank.

Frank,

I won't bother you more, as you are very close!!! :jumping:

Antonov is the only one awarded the Order of Victory not being a Soviet Union Marshal!!! and I think that's a specificity!!! :beer:

Here is Antonov's carrier, as descibed in Steen Ammentorp's site :

http://www.generals.dk/general/Antonov/Ale...viet_Union.html

Antonov Aleksei Innokentevich, Army General

(1896 ? 1962)

1931 Chief of Staff 46th Rifle Division

1934 Chief Operations Kharkov Military District

1937 - 1938Chief of Staff Moscow Military District

1938 - 1941Instructor Frunze Military Academy

1941 Deputy Chief of Staff Kiev Special Military District

1941 Chief of Staff South-western Front

1941 - 1942Chief of Staff Southern Front

1942 Chief of Staff Northern Caucasian Front

1942 Chief of Staff Black Sea Operational Group of Forces

1942 Chief of Staff Transcaucasian Front

1942 - 1945Deputy Chief General Staff

1942 - 1945Head Operations Directorate

1945 - 1946Chief General Staff

1946 - 1948Deputy Chief General Staff

1948 - 1950Deputy Commander in Chief Transcaucasian Military District

1950 - 1954Commander in Chief Transcaucasian Military District

1954 - 1955Chief General Staff

1955 - 1962Chief of Staff Warsaw Pact Forces

Frank, well done!! :beer:

Tour turn, now... :rolleyes:

Cheers.

Ch.

Antonov was an Army-General when he received his Order of Victory. Alle other Soviet recipients were Marshals of the Soviet Union.

Auke,

This is excellent :jumping::jumping::jumping: !!!

You got it right!!! But, unfortunately for you, I think we have to give the victory to Frank, as he has been the first one to coreectky identify our man... :beer: Next time, I'm sure, you will be the winner!!!!

Cheers.

Ch.

Hallo,

This Is my question.

One day we received a sheet of paper on which something was written in cyrillc. when we got the translation from HQ one note was: Light does not work. No contact to "Strawberry" . Dangerous situation with goods train for Schwerin.( Mig 23). 10 MI -8 moved to C, 15 MI-24 at B, 12 MI-8 at A, 2 MI-8 at workshop. Rockets arrived 23.00. Date

What we exactly knew was: "Strawberry" was a Code for an outpost which was for stopping trains when Jets were landing because over the railway line they were very low.

What we could see in this Message was: There were no jets stationed because only helicopters were metioned .

Where was the airfield and who was stationed there? Show the way how you got the answer. ( that will prevent you from guessing)

Good Luck

Frank

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Hi Frank,

A really hard one!!! Congrats :jumping::jumping: !!

I will try this :

The Soviet 3rd Shock Army was headquartered in Magdeburg.

More specifically, the 178th ORAP (Soviet Reconaissance Regiment) was based in Stendal, North of Magdeburg, at a railway crossroad. It was stationed exactly at Stendal Borstel Airfield, a Soviet / russian army helicopter base until 1992. Now back to general aviation. See picture.

Close to this, in the Krupps plant in Magdeburg high caliber firearms were produced. U-boat-parts were also manufactured by the R. Wolf Werken in Magdeburg-Buckau. Magdeburg has also been a famous rocket center. Secret productions were located there...

Magdeburg was also inside one of the air corridors between West-Germany and West-Berlin. There was also the Autobahn Berlin-Magdeburg-Hanover, and the road paralleling it, and one twenty-mile-wide air corridor from Berlin to Magdeburg and west. The air corridor was divided in two over Magdeburg, one lane bearing southwest toward Frankfurt, the other west toward Hanover.

We can therefore imagine that when there were transport of "strategic weapons" to the North (line Magdeburg / Schwerin for example), the rail line was equipped with a system allowing the trains to stop, to forbid aircraft of the West flying very low, to see what was transported ?

I know, a lot of guesses... :rolleyes: But, maybe it will pave the way for others ? :beer:

Cheers.

Ch.

Hello Christophe,

Congratulations Place and Regiment is correct. You are the winner.

You imagination is understandable but not correct.

Normally there were only a few jets landing at Borstel. Because the landing zone was near the railway they had to stop the trains when a jet was landing. This was for flight security. (have a look on your map.) "Strawberry" had the duty to turn the signal on red for the trains. The message to stop the trains came from the tower. In this situation there was no connection. I have got the incident book of that airfield from 1990 until the last day. The Soviets had a lot of problems with communication. ( I cannot post a picture of a page because I cannot uploade any pictures ).

Unfortunately Cold War is over. So I can not offer you a job.

congratulations again and now it is your turn

Frank :cheers::cheers:

Dear Christophe,

congratulations to your victory #22 :cheers::jumping: .

I didn't have the slightest glue how to answer Frank's extra difficult question ... :(

Christian

BTW: Your quiz develops to a match of French world vs. German world ;) . Where are all the wise English speaking collectors ... :rolleyes:

I didn't have the slightest glue how to answer Frank's extra difficult question ... :(

Hallo Christian,this was not extra difficult. When this all happened there was no internet like we have it today. It took us one day to find out where that happened.

Just take a map of DDR. Find Schwerin. See what railway lines go from Schwerin. Have a look at a map with the airfields of GSFG. It must be that airfield near the main railway.

My hint made it easier. Which Airfield was near the railway line Schwerin - Magdeburg ? There is only on.

We did not have a hint that time. That was the reason why we were called intelligence or eggheads.

Regards

Frank :cheers::cheers::cheers:

Dear Frank,

I couldn't find a map of the GSFG-airfields ... :blush: .

Christian

Hallo Christian,this was not extra difficult. When this all happened there was no internet like we have it today. It took us one day to find out where that happened.

Just take a map of DDR. Find Schwerin. See what railway lines go from Schwerin. Have a look at a map with the airfields of GSFG. It must be that airfield near the main railway.

My hint made it easier. Which Airfield was near the railway line Schwerin - Magdeburg ? There is only on.

We did not have a hint that time. That was the reason why we were called intelligence or eggheads.

Regards

Frank :cheers::cheers::cheers:

Frank and Christian,

Many thanks for your congratulations messages :beer: . I have to say this one was quite tough, and without Frank's first hint, I would'nt have known where to begin with...

And my guess about the air corridors was rather funny... :rolleyes: But that's a fact that Magdeburg is in the middle of it... :P

So, my turn, now. I have to think about a question... :rolleyes:

Cheers.

Ch.

(...) Just take a map of DDR. Find Schwerin. See what railway lines go from Schwerin. Have a look at a map with the airfields of GSFG. It must be that airfield near the main railway.

My hint made it easier. Which Airfield was near the railway line Schwerin - Magdeburg ? There is only on.(...)

I did this way, but also thought the air corridor was part of the guess... :beer:

Ch.

Question #130

I think this one will be a not so cryptic one... :cheers:

What does this photo represent ?

1. What is doing this man ?

2. From which institution is he part ? Name complete ?

3. When has been this institution created ? Its role ? Its Location ?

The winner will be the first one to completely answer questions 2 & 3. :beer:

Ch.

BARTCC (Berlin Air Route Traffic Control Center)

Question #130

1. What is doing this man ?

2. From which institution is he part ? Name complete ?

3. When has been this institution created ? Its role ? Its Location ?

Dear Christophe,

this USAF Staff Sergeant is located in the Tempelhof Air Base in West-Berlin and looking via his radar-screen at the 3 West Berlin Air Corridors http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Berlin_Air_Corridor .

The institution had been called BARTCC (Berlin Air Route Traffic Control Center).

The radar-screen 1989 at Tempelhof-airport:

Well, the USAF Staff Sergeant might be from the US 7350th Air Base Group :unsure: .

On 10th of july 1945 the US 852nd Engineer Aviation Battalion arrived at Tempelhof and the US-Forces stayed there till 1993.

BARTCC controlled and regulated airways for civil and military air traffic of the Western Allies between West Berlin and the other Federal German States over the 3 air corridors of the German Democratic Republic.

During the Berlin Airlift 1948/49 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berlin_Blockade Tempelhof Air Base played a major role.

The photograph with the USAF Staff Sergeant might be from the time of the Berlin Airlift :unsure: .

The name Tempelhof Air Base had been instituted with the USAF in 1947 and I guess, that BARTCC might have been instituted during the Berlin Airlift :unsure: .

Hope my answer is somehow correct :rolleyes: .

Christian

Edited by Christian Zulus

Hi Christian,

Congratulations for your new victory !!! :jumping::jumping:

Your answer is absolutely correct!!!

We could precise that :

The BARTCC has been put in place in March 1949, at the end of the blockade, as the USSR lifted its blockade on 11 May 1949. However, the airlift did not end until September 30, as the Western nations wanted to build up sufficient amounts of supplies in West Berlin in case the Soviets blockaded it again.

The operational control of the three allied airlift corridors was given to BARTCC (Berlin Air Route Traffic Control Center) air traffic control located at Tempelhof. Diplomatic approval authority was granted to a secretive four-power organization also located in the American sector. It was called the Berlin Air Safety Center (BASC).

Congratulations :beer: !!

Your turn (again) now... :rolleyes:

Cheers.

Ch.

Dear Christophe,

many thanks for your congratulations :cheers: .

It had been a truly hard job for me, but I had to get the right answer as fast as possible, because you already came very close to my score of victories and Frank Knarf would be able to answer your BARTCC-question within 2 minutes ;) .

Christian

BTW: From which time is the photograph - it looks rather old?

Hi Christian,

Congratulations for your new victory !!! :jumping::jumping:

Your answer is absolutely correct!!!

We could precise that :

The BARTCC has been put in place in March 1949, at the end of the blockade, as the USSR lifted its blockade on 11 May 1949. However, the airlift did not end until September 30, as the Western nations wanted to build up sufficient amounts of supplies in West Berlin in case the Soviets blockaded it again.

The operational control of the three allied airlift corridors was given to BARTCC (Berlin Air Route Traffic Control Center) air traffic control located at Tempelhof. Diplomatic approval authority was granted to a secretive four-power organization also located in the American sector. It was called the Berlin Air Safety Center (BASC).

Congratulations :beer: !!

Your turn (again) now... :rolleyes:

Cheers.

Ch.