News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Soviet & Eastern Block Quiz

Gentlemen,

I knew that we have some real talent and expertise out there, but you are beginning to scare me. :speechless1: Because of the way that I purposely phrased the question, ?... the highest ranking (final rank) Soviet officer...? , I figured that Sydir Kovpak would be as far as we would get. If someone did get Yeromenko or Bulganin, I had hoped to offer a bonus question asking for the name of the other Marshal of the Soviet Union who received this relatively lowly award, but Christophe beat me to it.

So, I extend hearty congratulations to Christophe for (1) identifying Yeromenko or Bulganin and (2) reading my mind by identifying Bulganin or Yeromenko for the bonus points which I did not have an opportunity to offer.

To Christian?s point, and a good one it is, I do not know what these medals were awarded for or when; :rolleyes: but I think that we can all agree that they are quite unique among Marshal?s decorations. If anyone has any information on them I would encourage you to share it with us; whatever the circumstances, I am sure that they would be very interesting.

Christophe, again congratulations. The ball is in your court. :cheers:

Wild Card

• Replies 2.1k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, Wild Card, for the congratulations. :beer: This was a good question, as it brought me back to think - as you did - about these relatively low-ranking awards that Soviet Marshals has been awarded...

As I have to leave for a good part of the day, I'll come back to you later with a new challenge... :rolleyes:

Cheers.

Ch.

Edited by Christophe

Auke,

At the price ColletcRussia is proposing it... you should take it!!!!! I have recently been proposed this book in Europe at a far higher price... :rolleyes:

Cheers.

Ch.

Edited by Christophe

Here is my question.

Question #133

This architectural detail shows a well known Soviet title...

The question is NOT : ID it :rolleyes: ...

But,

1. In which building is this architectural detail located ? Name of the building ?

2. Where is it located ? City + location ?

3. What are the two names this building got in its history, with dates ?

Bonus : Who were the architects of this building ?

The first one to fully answer the 3 questions is the winner. I say the 3 questions!!!! :P

Good hunt and good luck!... :rolleyes:

Ch.

SEVEN SISTERS:unsure:

Here is my question.

Question #133

This architectural detail shows a well known Soviet title...

The question is NOT : ID it :rolleyes: ...

But,

1. In which building is this architectural detail located ? Name of the building ?

2. Where is it located ? City + location ?

3. What are the two names this building got in its history, with dates ?

Bonus : Who were the architects of this building ?

The first one to fully answer the 3 questions is the winner. I say the 3 questions!!!! :P

Good hunt and good luck!... :rolleyes:

Ch.

Dear Christophe,

well, I didn't found the shown architectural detail in my books ... :( .

I can only only guess: One of the hughe skyscrapers of the 1940/50s in "Stalin-Gothic" around the Lomonosov-University in Moscow :unsure: ?

The artistic style would be matching.

They are called "Seven Sisters".

Or it might be a project of these architects in another city in Eastern Europe :unsure: ?

Seven Sisters' link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_Sisters_%28Moscow%29

Best regards :beer:

Christian

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, I'm back from Russia, after 2 weeks being there... :jumping:

I know some of you have already been there, in this building... :rolleyes:

All I can say is that this building is in Moscow...

Please, try again... :beer:

Cheers.

Ch.

Edited by Christophe

Welcome back on board, commander :cheers:

So, my guessing with the "Seven Sisters" is wrong :( ?

Christian

Hey, I'm back from Russia, after 2 weeks being there... :jumping:

I know some of you have already been there, in this building... :rolleyes:

All I can say is that this building is in Moscow...

Please, try again... :beer:

Cheers.

Ch.

Christophe,

As you know, the National Historical Museum is located at the north end of Red Square. Is the building in question located almost directly behind this museum? I think that it was originally intended to be a commerce exhibition center. :unsure:

Just as a guess, I'd presume it was in some sort of trade union building..(probably in Leningrad or Moscow?)

Sorry, Belaruski, but it is not a "sort of trade union building"... But, it is definitely in Moscow. :cheers:

Ch.

Welcome back on board, commander :cheers:

So, my guessing with the "Seven Sisters" is wrong :( ?

Christian

Thanks Christian :beer: ,

It is not an architectural detail of one of the seven sisters.

Two hints :

1. Look closely at the pic. It is done in the style of an industrial building more than one like the Sisters, that were mainly built out of stone...

2. The choice of the medal shown should give you an indication about the building date...

Cheers.

Ch.

Christophe,

As you know, the National Historical Museum is located at the north end of Red Square. Is the building in question located almost directly behind this museum? I think that it was originally intended to be a commerce exhibition center. :unsure:

Hi Wild Card,

The building in question is not located there. But, you made a good point about its potential use or destination... :rolleyes:

Cheers.

Ch.