News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Soviet & Eastern Block Quiz

Again, maybe...

But, keep in mind that some os us seem not to be equipped with the latest high tech computers... :rolleyes: And this could have an influence about their settings, size of the screen 4:3 or 16:9 (are big pics visible entirely), maximum number of posts by page (dowloads quicker when there are less posts by page)...

If any of us had a nice modern computer, we would never has stressed the point of the difficulty of downloading pages...

And finally, not difficult to take the number of the post of the topic you want to see, and divide by 20... :rolleyes:

Cheers.

Ch.

• Replies 2.1k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all,

Many thanks Christian! :cheers: Here's the scoop on Charles... I just heard back from him. He said he'd very much like to ask the next one if possible... but that he won't be able to do it until Monday afternoon. He said if that is okay with everything then he'll take it then... if not to pass it along to Ed.

I have no problem waiting but didn't know how the rest of the group felt. And I agree with Ed that Charles did have an excellent question if that's the one he wants to go with.

I (and Charles) await the decision of the group. :unsure:

Thanks! :beer:

Dan :cheers:

Edited by Hauptman

First - a big thanks for inviting me to propose my question. My hat is off to those who worked to make this happen!

The question is this:

1) Who is this individual and for what event was the photo taken? (bonus for what year)

2) What is the serial number of his Order of the Red Banner? (It has been published - so the answer is not impossible!)

3) Seeing as how this is post #1910 - what was he doing in 1910? (again its published)

Edited by hunyadi

BELA KUN :unsure:?

Dear Charles,

the comrade in question looks a bit like the Hungarian Communist Leader BELA KUN http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B%C3%A9la_Kun at a COMINTERN-meeting http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comintern :unsure: ?

I couldn't yet find the s/n. of his RB :(

In 1910 Bela Kun - or Bela Kohn - worked as a muck-raking journalist with sympathies for the Hungarian Social Democratic Party in Kolozsv?r.

Best regards :beer:

Christian

Edited by Christian Zulus

Yes - that is Kun Bela - but not at a Comintern meeting. If no one else can come up with the RB # in a little bit, I will post it. And corectly he was a freelance journalist in 1910, but his main method of employment at the time was with the Kolozsv?r Workers Insurance Bureau. He was charged with stealing money from the Bureau in 1914 and there was the prospects of imprisonment, but luckily for him....WW1 started and he was able to join the KUK Army to avoid further prosecution. Later in 1917 as a POW in a Russian camp, he was the ringleader of a revolt in the camp over the distribution of Red Cross parcels. In his court marshal which would have ultimately led to his execution he appealed to the local Workers Council that he was a vital member for the revolution, citing himslef as the President of the Social Democratic Workers Insurance Bureau. The Blosheviks did not beleive him and sent a letter to Kolozsv?r to inquire of his status with the party and the bureau. The reply was sent that there was no such position and that Kun was awaiting trial for his criminal activities. When the letter arrived back at the camp, to Kun's ultimate luck.... the camp commander returned the letter to Hungary as he claimed that he had never heard of the POW by the name of Kun Bela (even though legal preceedings were pending against him!)...

Dear Charles,

conference in september 1920 in Baku of the peoples of the East, where also John Reed participated :unsure: ?

Christian

Yes - that is Kun Bela - but not at a Comintern meeting. If no one else can come up with the RB # in a little bit, I will post it. And corectly he was a freelance journalist in 1910, but his main method of employment at the time was with the Kolozsv?r Workers Insurance Bureau. He was charged with stealing money from the Bureau in 1914 and there was the prospects of imprisonment, but luckily for him....WW1 started and he was able to join the KUK Army to avoid further prosecution. Later in 1917 as a POW in a Russian camp, he was the ringleader of a revolt in the camp over the distribution of Red Cross parcels. In his court marshal which would have ultimately led to his execution he appealed to the local Workers Council that he was a vital member for the revolution, citing himslef as the President of the Social Democratic Workers Insurance Bureau. The Blosheviks did not beleive him and sent a letter to Kolozsv?r to inquire of his status with the party and the bureau. The reply was sent that there was no such position and that Kun was awaiting trial for his criminal activities. When the letter arrived back at the camp, to Kun's ultimate luck.... the camp commander returned the letter to Hungary as he claimed that he had never heard of the POW by the name of Kun Bela (even though legal preceedings were pending against him!)...

Keep going - the background is a bit of a help...and for another hint - this is probably the last known photo of the Hungarian Soviet Republic's leader...

Dear Charles,

so it has to be shot during the "M?rz Aktion" (March Action) in march 1921 in Central Germany (Saxonia), when the KPD tried to seize power. Bela Kun played an active role.

Well, the sculptures of Marx & Engels might also hint to Germany ...

Christian

You are on the right track - but perhaps thinking a bit too hard. In 1921 he was well alive and in the good graces and protection of Lenin. Use the hint that it was probably the last known photograph of him alive...and in public...

You are on the right track - but perhaps thinking a bit too hard. In 1921 he was well alive and in the good graces and protection of Lenin. Use the hint that it was probably the last known photograph of him alive...and in public...

Dear Charles,

o.k., then it might have been Vienna 1928 before the Austrian Police arrested Bela Kun, due to the fact, he entered Austria with an forged passport.

Bela Kun tried to revitalize the Hungarian Communist movement ... :rolleyes:

I guess, Vienna 1928 had been his last public appearence :unsure: .

Christian

No - not 1928. Closer though - March 14th, 19XX?

Dear Charles,

maybe 1933 or 1934 in Moscow, when he published his last pamphlets :unsure: ?

1933: The Second International in Dissolution

1934: The Most Burning Question: Unity of Action

1934: Preface to Fundamental Laws of the Chinese Soviet Republic

http://www.marxists.org/archive/kun-bela/index.htm

Christian

You guessed one of the years correctly - March 14th, 1933.

From the book Kun Bela by Borsanyi Gyorgy (Kossuth, Budapest 1979)

Caption on the photo (pg 355) cites that this is "Kun Bela at the 50th Annaversary of Marx's death in Moscow."

The book also cites (pg 278,279) that on November 7th, 1927 one thousand soldiers of the revolution were were brought to Moscow to be decorated for their actions in the Soviet Revolution. According Borsanyi's citing of the document, Kun's ORB was number 578. Acording to his notes the document (or copy) of Kun's ORB resides in the National Archives.

Dear Charles,

dear Christophe,

many thanks for giving me my victory #31 :cheers: .

In the moment I am just travelling from Munich to Vienna. So I will post the question tomorrow afternoon.

Christian

Charles,

Our pleasure. :beer:

But, next time, let us search a little bit more!!!! :rolleyes: You helped us too much on this one... :P

Christian,

Your turn, now!!!!

Cheers.

Ch.

Question #154

Gentlemen,

a really very easy one :D :

Who am I :unsure: ?

The photograph shows me in the year 1945 at the age of 19, so the RS + MMM are no long service awards ;) (1969 I got a OPW 1cl as a catch-up award).

I am of Jewish nationality and got world famous in a completly different profession - even a renowed university bears my name. Also a movie had been made about my military career in WW II, which is regarded by many experts as the best movie about the GPW. My older brother made also a brilliant career in his profession and received a proud collection of Soviet orders & medals. I died rather young.

1) What is my name?

2) What is my nick name, my parents gave to me?

3) What is the title of the mentioned movie?

4) Which famous university bears my name?

The winner is, who answers ALL four (4) questions in a sufficient way.

Christian

Edited by Christian Zulus