News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Soviet & Eastern Block Quiz

• Replies 2.1k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dear Christiophe,

many thanks for your congratulation to my victory #32 :cheers: .

Well, your question wasn't that easy, as it looks ;) . At first sight, it looked like the history of a labour award, but the starting year 1924 brought me to comrade Lenin - then it was easy, having your interest for architecture in mind :D .

Best regards :beer:

Christian

Hi Christian,

This is perfect!! Congratulations for your new victory!!! :jumping::jumping:

Your turn, now... :beer:

Cheers.

Ch.

New question #158

Gentlemen,

again a question about a rather renowed person in the history of the world of communism.

Who am I :unsure: ?

I am non-Russian, got rather old (1907 - 2000), had many names in my long life and among the decorations I got there are also 2 RBs. The first RB I have got in the year 1937 (see the pic) and my second 1969.

Question:

1) Tell at least 2 of my names an my famous nickname.

2) For which "company" did I work?

3) For what did I receive my 2 RBs?

The winner is, who can answer ALL 3 questions :jumping: .

Christian

Hello,

the Lady must be Ruth Werner,

other names: Ursula Ruth Kuczynski, Ursula Beurton

Her Name in GRU was Sonia

She was working in Mandchuria, China in 1934,helped chinese communists with explosives, sent reports to Moscow, 1935 she went to Poland For her outstanding work for GRU she got the RB

She gave very Important Informations which helped the Soviets on their development of the A-bomb.

bacK to work

regards

Frank :cheers::cheers:

Dear Frank,

congratulations to your victory #11 :cheers::jumping:

Now you are - together with Bryan - already at 3rd position in the ranking of the "good-answerers" of Christophe's quiz :D . It's rather strange, that the leading positions in the quiz-ranking are hold only by persons, who speak either German or French as their mother language ... :rolleyes:

Yor answer is absolutly correct: Ruth Werner has been one of the absolute top-spies for the Soviet Union and she got both RBs from the GRU:

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruth_Werner

Ruth's brother had been the world famous historian & economist J?rgen Kuczynski:

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/J%C3%BCrgen_Kuczynski

Question #159 is now your turn :jumping: .

Christian

Hello,

the Lady must be Ruth Werner,

other names: Ursula Ruth Kuczynski, Ursula Beurton

Her Name in GRU was Sonia

She was working in Mandchuria, China in 1934,helped chinese communists with explosives, sent reports to Moscow, 1935 she went to Poland For her outstanding work for GRU she got the RB

She gave very Important Informations which helped the Soviets on their development of the A-bomb.

bacK to work

regards

Hello,

Every month I get my pension from the German Embassy. (1500,--Euro) My husband is still with me even he is dead. My Father was a shoemaker. Before my husband married me he was married to another woman. (It is said that he was married twice before he married me). My doughter was born before my husband was devorced from his first wife.That caused Problems with Moscow. Some people called me "Miss Education" or "Purple Dragon" and a lot of people hate me.

What is the name of my husbands eldest doughter ? Why did some people call me "Purple Dragon"

Regards

Frank :cheers:

Dear Frank,

you are speaking about Margot Honecker (former: Feist), who lives in Chile and gets about EUR 1.500,- per month from the German Embassy in Santiago:

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margot_Honecker

Sonja Y?nez Betancourt (former: Honecker, born 1952) is the daughter of Margot & Erich, married to Mr. Betancourt in Chile, where also mother Margot has her residence.

Erich Honecker's eldest daughter is Erika Honecker (born 1950) from the marriage with Edith Baumann.

Margot Honecker was more or less an authentic "Purple Dragon": Clever, intelligent, but totally uneducated and supporting her husbands career 150 %. The people in the DDR hated her like sXXt ... :rolleyes:

Christian

Hello,

Every month I get my pension from the German Embassy. (1500,--Euro) My husband is still with me even he is dead. My Father was a shoemaker. Before my husband married me he was married to another woman. (It is said that he was married twice before he married me). My doughter was born before my husband was devorced from his first wife.That caused Problems with Moscow. Some people called me "Miss Education" or "Purple Dragon" and a lot of people hate me.

What is the name of my husbands eldest doughter ? Why did some people call me "Purple Dragon"

Regards

Frank :cheers:

If you take purple as a generic term for another colour you should have it.

regards

Frank :rolleyes:

Dear Frank,

well "purple" might be seen as an intensive "red" - like "Red Dragon", but "purple" has in American English also a double-meaning ... :P

In German language comrade Margot had been called: "Roter Drachen" (red dragon) or "Rote Hexe" (red witch) and many other "nice" names .... :cheeky:

Christian

Dear Christian,

I will accept your answer.

What I really wanted to know was: She was often called "purple Dragon or lila Dragon".

The reason for this was: Older women have often a yellowed appearance when the hair has turned into grey.

Blue rinse is a delute hair dye to reduce the yellow and makes yellow grey hair appear blue - white. The poor quality of East German chemicals made poor Margot`s hair very often look purple or lila instead of grey-blue.

Your turn now

Regards

Dear Frank,

many thanks for giving me victory #33 :cheers: .

Well, I am not an expert in hair-styling for old ladies ;) - Ed's mentioned "blue hair" is more common to me ...

The next question - #160 :jumping: - will be an very easy one ... :D

Christian

Dear Christian,

I will accept your answer.

What I really wanted to know was: She was often called "purple Dragon or lila Dragon".

The reason for this was: Older women have often a yellowed appearance when the hair has turned into grey.

Blue rinse is a delute hair dye to reduce the yellow and makes yellow grey hair appear blue - white. The poor quality of East German chemicals made poor Margot`s hair very often look purple or lila instead of grey-blue.

Your turn now

Regards

New question #160

Gentlemen,

due to the fact, this question is an very easy one, I made two different parts of it.

ALL ABOUT ZHUKOV

We all know him and his career :D .

Some month after the great victory in GPW, Marshal Zhukov faced some difficulties with the NKVD, some Politburo-Members and also with comrade Stalin. Zhukov's brilliant career come to an end somehow.

Let us assume, that Zhukov would have left the Soviet Union and moved over to England. O.K., he would have lost his Soviet citizenship immedatly, his rank as a Marshal CCCP, etc., etc., but the Crown would have confered the British citizenship to that most famous WW-II-General within few weeks.

Question part #1:

1) What would have been Zhukov's full name written down in the British official documents :unsure: ?

Zhukov got the Hero-Star #4 with the s/n. 1.

Question part #2:

2) For what did Marshal Zhukov receive his 4th Hero-Star :unsure: ?

The winner is, who answers both question in the correct way.

Christian

Edited by Christian Zulus

1) What would have been Zhukov's full name written down in the British official documents :unsure: ?

2) For what did Marshal Zhukov receive his 4th Hero-Star :unsure: ?

Re question 1) I can only think of Sir Georgy (George) K. Zhukov G.C.B. - Dunno if that is what you were looking for.

Re question 2) This was officially a 60th birthday present to Marhsall Zhukov. However as it was awarded a few weeks after the 1956 going ons in Hungary, one is left to wonder.... Some even think that this had something to do with the arrest of Lavrentiy Pavlovich Beria earlier in 1953....

Jim :cheers:

Dear Jim,

congratulation to your victory #9 :cheers::jumping:

Re question 1) I can only think of Sir Georgy (George) K. Zhukov G.C.B. - Dunno if that is what you were looking for.

Re question 2) This was officially a 60th birthday present to Marhsall Zhukov. However as it was awarded a few weeks after the 1956 going ons in Hungary, one is left to wonder.... Some even think that this had something to do with the arrest of Lavrentiy Pavlovich Beria earlier in 1953....

Your answer are 100 % correct :D .

Sir Georgy Zhukov G.C.B. might have ended in the House of Lords as his Lordship George Zhukov 1st Viscount of Berlin :P:speechless: .

Marshal Zhukov got in 1945 the Knight Grand Cross of The Most Honourable Order of the Bath, the most supreme class of that high-ranking British Order:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_the_Bath

But Marshal Zhukov didn't leave the CCCP, but took up his brilliant career after Stalin's death and promoted to the rank of a minister of defense - and got his 4th HSU-Star in december 1956.

Most of the historians think, that he got HSU #4 as the supreme commander of the "Operation Hungary 1956" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hungarian_Revolution_of_1956. And it was not the practice in the 1950s to confer HSUs for mere round birthdays, which got the (bad) tradition during the Brezhnev-era. There had been quite a lot of HSUs - and other high-ranking orders - confered for Hungary 1956 by the Supreme Soviet. I guess, that even Yuri Andropov http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yuri_Andropov , at that time Soviet Amabassador in Budapest, got one of his Lenin's for playing mastermind during the operations in Hungary 1956.

Question #161 is now your turn :cheers: .

Christian

Edited by Christian Zulus

He, of course, could never have been addressed by anyone as "Sir" anything. As a non-Crown subject, the knighthood was merely honorary, though the G.C.B. was quite real.

Dear Ed,

that's correct, but my question had been, what would have happened to Zhukov's name, IF he would have swapped his Soviet citizenship to a British one in the 1940s :rolleyes: .

As a Crown subject he would have got automatically - according to the regulations of the G.C.B. - his legal title "Sir" :D .

Christian

Actually, the answer is still no. As the award was given when he was a Soviet citizen, he could not retrospectively have been knighted. Yes, the question is so hypothetical: "Had Zhukov been kidnapped to Pluto by aliens in 1947, could he . . . ??"

Saint George as a might-be "Retro-Knight" :P

Dear Ed,

I don't believe that:

As the award was given when he was a Soviet citizen, he could not retrospectively have been knighted.

As a - hypothetical - subject of the Crown AND as a holder of a G.C.B., he has to be knighted by the next occaision :jumping: .

Maybe we should send an inquiry to Buckingham Palace about the possibilty of getting a "Retro-Knight" :unsure: ?

The Austrian pianist Alfred Brendel http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfred_Brendel and http://www.deccaclassics.com/artists/brendel/mov.htm (great website - have a look :D ) , who lives for decades in the UK, got in 1989 his KBE, but he is not allowed to call himself "Sir Alfred", because he didn't gave up his Austrian citizenship and took the UK one. But I guess, that whenever he gets a subject of the Crown, he will be knighted and get his "Sir" - like most of the other pianists, conductors & composers.

Christian

First Death-Lord of Pluto

Dear Ed,

that's really a fantastic title :jumping::jumping: .

Prof. Ed Haynes 1stD-LoP

What are the decorations of that supriour title :unsure: ?

The title sounds, if you might be the supreme commander of the Alien Kamikaze Forces at the planet Pluto :D .

Pluto offers nice orders & medals:

HAL - "Hero of Alien Labour" (HAL is also the queer computer in Kubrick's "Odysee 2001" :P )

HOP - "Hero of Pluto"

That's a photograph of a twice HOP and one time HAL:

Christian

People can call themselves what they want to. It won't make it legal or kosher.

Ed

First Death-Lord of Pluto

Geez Ed... I haven't had time to reply to your last PM to me... I hope since I'm not a citizen of Pluto I won't fall under any death sentences under your new position on said planet. :unsure::cheeky:

Dan :cheers:

Gentlemen,

back from Pluto, aliens, Crown-subjects & retro-knights to Christophe's quiz.

I want to congratulate Jim again to his victory and ask him to post the new question #161.

Christian

Dear Jim,

congratulation to your victory #9 :cheers::jumping:

Your answers are 100 % correct :D .

Sir Georgy Zhukov G.C.B. might have ended in the House of Lords as his Lordship George Zhukov 1st Viscount of Berlin :P:speechless: .

Marshal Zhukov got in 1945 the Knight Grand Cross of The Most Honourable Order of the Bath, the most supreme class of that high-ranking British Order:

<a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_the_Bath" target="_blank">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_the_Bath</a>

But Marshal Zhukov didn't leave the CCCP, but took up his brilliant career after Stalin's death and promoted to the rank of a minister of defense - and got his 4th HSU-Star in december 1956.

Most of the historians think, that he got HSU #4 as the supreme commander of the "Operation Hungary 1956" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hungarian_Revolution_of_1956. And it was not the practice in the 1950s to confer HSUs for mere round birthdays, which got the (bad) tradition during the Brezhnev-era. There had been quite a lot of HSUs - and other high-ranking orders - confered for Hungary 1956 by the Supreme Soviet. I guess, that even Yuri Andropov <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yuri_Andropov" target="_blank">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yuri_Andropov</a> , at that time Soviet Amabassador in Budapest, got one of his Lenin's for playing mastermind during the operations in Hungary 1956.

Question #161 is now your turn :cheers: .

Christian

Thanks Christian.

Infact that is why I could only suggest an answer to part A. Whereas it would be interesting to see what the name on his GCB docs does read, I could only think what I'd refer to him as if he was a British subject.

Next question will be coming up shortly.

Jim :cheers: