News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Soviet & Eastern Block Quiz

• Replies 2.1k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I stand to be corrected but isn't being Jewish a faith rather than a nationality?

I suppose you meant he was a Russian Jew right?

Jim :cheers:

You are right, of course, Jim. But, as the categories used in the USSR functioned, it was a "nationality". It appears that way on documents all the. See, for example, "Bad Boy" Supyan -- http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=3728

Question #154

1) What is my name? Konrad Wolf

2) What is my nick name, my parents gave to me? Koni?

3) What is the title of the mentioned movie? I Was Nineteen (Ich war 19)

4) Which famous university bears my name? Hochschule f?r Film und Fernsehen Potsdam

The winner is, who answers ALL four (4) questions in a sufficient way.

Best regards :beer:

Christian

Borther of Markus Johannes (?Mischa?) Wolf :rolleyes:

Edited by hunyadi

Dear Charles,

that has been a more than perfect answer - above 100 % :D:jumping: .

Congratulations to your victory :cheers: .

Question #155 is now your turn again :D .

Christian

BTW: Here is a complete listing of the Soviet Awards, Markus Wolf got and a pic of Konrad & Markus Wolf's tombstone in Berlin: http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=13550 . That's the mentioned movie of and about Konrad Wolf in the GPW: http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?s=&showtop...st&p=159552 .

The "Wolf Family":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friedrich_Wolf

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Markus_Wolf

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Konrad_Wolf

From the movie: Konrad Wolf gets town-commander of Bernau

Edited by Christian Zulus

I stand to be corrected but isn't being Jewish a faith rather than a nationality?

I suppose you meant he was a Russian Jew right?

Dear Jim,

of course it's a faith, but according to the constitution of the CCCP, Jews had been seen as a own nationality and the nationality "Jewish" was noted in their CCCP-passports (as: "Russian", "Georgian", "German", etc., etc.).

As Communists & Jews, the Wolf-family had to leave Germany very, very early and they moved to Moscow. All of them received Soviet citizenship and had CCCP-passports. As far as I know, the Wolf-family always kept their CCCP-citizenship besides their (new) DDR-citizenship.

So I guess, it had been correct, to write, that the young Red Army 1st Lieutenant had "Jewish Nationality" (he didn't have the stamp "German" in his passport ;) ).

Christian

Christian - it was too easy - I muss confess, I was Googleing for several hours until I looked at the film section here and noticed your input on the best movie ever. So - it was all too easy after that. :rolleyes:

In the stroke of generosity that I was given (and as history of the CCCP is not a sector that I know too well - yet...) I would like to give my question to Ed Haynes for his belated birthday. (And see if I can get my question back!)

Thanks to Charles (= Blame Charles!! :jumping: ), here goes:

OK, I know this is a "military" forum, but those who made the revolutions work were not young guys (and gals) in uniform (it isn't all about guns!!), but more mundane people . . .

. . . the Ploughmen (and Ploughwomen):

Identify, by issuing country (etc.) and by name the following awards. Only a score of 100% right will count (some are copied from books, for which I make no apologies -- my budget has limits!):

Don't see why you are saying this... :rolleyes:

Ch.

Hi Christophe,

I think he meant blame Charles for Ed's getting to come up with another difficult question. :P

And that he has. I for one only know two of them for sure... the rest no idea. And sadly little or no time to research it right now as I'm working three jobs, grabbing sleep when I can and can't wait for this coming Friday and Saturday as I'm off from all three... although I need to go out of town most of the day Friday. Nevertheless I'm hoping to relax a bit and perhaps be able to catch up on things here.

Best of luck to all on this one! Another great job Ed! :beer:

Dan :cheers:

Hi Christophe,

I think he meant blame Charles for Ed's getting to come up with another difficult question. :P

(..)

Hi Dan,

Exactly what I meant by this small sentence full of "french humour"... :rolleyes:

I know that Ed will (again) be challenging us strongly :beer: . I decided yesterday night (just coming back from Moscow) not to dive in it, but will do later today or tomorrow... :jumping:

Cheers.

Ch.

Ed baffles us (ME) yet again!!

Think that after the last one we'd (I'D) have learnt the evil of our (MY) ways. But woe.... this comes too soon to have memorised a plethora of new medals way outside our (in this case MY) narrower area of interest.

I sit quietly and curiously wait for closure on Ed's tractor's :)

Jim :cheers:

OK guys... Quiet here... :rolleyes:

I think you got time enough.... :ninja:

Here are my proposals :

1 Mongolia - Medal Glory of the Virgin Land Cultivators

2 USSR - Medal for Development of Virgin Lands

3 Mongolia - Badge Virgin Land Claimer

4 USSR - Order of Lenin ("Tractor")

5 People's Democratic Republic of Afghanistan - Self-Suficiency Medal

6 North Korea - Agricultural Merit Medal

7 Tadjikistan SSR - Order of the Red Banner of Labor

and the extra credit is :

8 Mongolia - Dornod Badge (a "famous" NIB).

Ed, am I far... ? :rolleyes:

Cheers.

Ch.

Let's celebrate with some new stats... :jumping::jumping::jumping:

This small game has now been launched 2 years ago (on 1 Nov. 2005), and since :

* 156 questions asked,

* with 1,944 answers,

* This quiz has been viewed more than 20,340 times.

* 36 Members of the Forum played, and 27 correctly answered at least 1 question :

Nb of good answers :

* 31 : Christian (Zulus)

* 30 : Christophe

* 11 : Bryan (Soviet)

* 10 : Frank (Knarf)

* 8 : Jim (JimZ) and Simon (Red Threat)

* 6 : Auke (Ferdinand), Belaruski and Ed (Haynes)

* 5 : Carol I

* 4 : Wild Card.

* 3 : Andreas (Alfred), Ivan (Piramida) and Kim (Kimj).

* 2 : Chuck (in Oregon), Dan (Hauptman), Gerd (Becker), Jan (vatjan) and Order of Victory.

* 1 : Charles (Hunyadi), Darrell, Daredevil, Dave (Navy FCO), Dudeman, Filip (Drugo), Rick (Stogieman) and Steen (Ammentorp).

This is a great achievement. Thanks to all for your participation. :beer:

Now, let's continue to have fun with the 157th question... Mine!!! :jumping::jumping:

Cheers.

Ch.

Regarding the debate we had a few weeks ago about the need or not to open a Quiz Volume 2 for a more convivial use, saving bandwith, etc...; I propose to take the opportunity of next 1st January (2008) to open a new thread that will be the "Soviet & Eastern Block Quiz 2008" !!!

I'll open this new Quiz on 1st January 2008, in a separate new thread. I hope it will contribute to attract more Members than the present one, that maybe could be now quite "heavy" to consult... Let's see this in a 2 months time.

Thanks to all for your contribution to the success of this little game. :beer:

Cheers.

Ch.

Question #157

It's not a Who am I? question, but a What am I?

What I am?

I'm "born" in 1924, in 3 days time. 7 months later, I have been upgraded, and again in 1930. My latest significant improvement took place in 1973. I have been very quiet during the GPW, and much more "busy" in 1953-1961. But, I always have been a passionated topic...

What am I ?

What happened on my major milestones in 1924, 1930, 1941-1945, 1953-1961 and 1973 ?

The first one to fully answer these two questions is the winner.

Good hunt and good luck!!! :rolleyes:

Cheers.

Ch.

Edited by Christophe

Regarding the debate we had a few weeks ago about the need or not to open a Quiz Volume 2 for a more convivial use, saving bandwith, etc...; I propose to take the opportunity of next 1st January (2008) to open a new thread that will be the "Soviet & Eastern Block Quiz 2008" !!!

I'll open this new Quiz on 1st January 2008, in a separate new thread. I hope it will contribute to attract more Members than the present one, that maybe could be now quite "heavy" to consult... Let's see this in a 2 months time.

Thanks to all for your contribution to the success of this little game. :beer:

Cheers.

Ch.

Well done, Christophe. 100000% agreement. :beer:

LENIN'S MAUSOLEUM

Dear Christophe,

congratulations to your proud victory #30 :cheers: .

Ed's question was really a hard job :jumping: .

The answer of your question about Soviet architecture:

It's Lenin's Mausoleum :D .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lenin%27s_Mausoleum

It was built in 3 days time in 1924 (wood construction and 7 month later upgraded), 1930 the stone monument, during the GPW Lenin's body was removed, 1953 - 1961 comrade Stalin had been guest inside the building and in 1973 there had been the last improvments (a new sarcophagus).

Christian

Question #157

It's not a Who am I? question, but a What am I?

What I am?

I'm "born" in 1924, in 3 days time. 7 months later, I have been upgraded, and again in 1930. My latest significant improvement took place in 1973. I have been very quiet during the GPW, and much more "busy" in 1953-1961. But, I always have been a passionated topic...

What am I ?

What happened on my major milestones in 1924, 1930, 1941-1945, 1953-1961 and 1973 ?

The first one to fully answer these two questions is the winner.

Good hunt and good luck!!! :rolleyes:

Cheers.

Ch.