News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Cossack Picture.

Kev in Deva

Guest Rick Research

You're off about 20 years. :rolleyes:

The blurry close up is a cross commemorating internment in a refugee camp 1920-21 for members of General Wrangel's army evacuated from the Crimea in 1920. These bear designations with 1920 on the top arm, 1921 on the bottom, and the name of the camp across the middle:

Gallipoli, Lemnos, Bizerta etc.

So dates circa 1923 or so I'd say from the youth of the men. Will move to the Imperial Russian section since this is an aftermath of the Civil War subject.

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_10_2008/post-950-1224272456.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_10_2008/post-950-1224272672.jpg

Rider 1 close-up and Rider 4.

Hallo Ed and Ricky, :beer:

many thanks for your response, :jumping: I will post a picture of the rear

of the card tomorrow as its written in red pencil

and wont photograph under house lights, so I will try natural light.

Its addressed to a location, in the town of Arad, Western Romania

Interestingly there is also a lead penciled notation to: "Geoagiu de jos Baile,

Villa Dublesiu, Judet: Hunedoara," (which is a spa bath not far from Deva where I live,)

and there are 3 stamps, one partially removed and one of which depicts the Romanian King Carol II.

The postmark date is unreadable to my eyes.

This card was being tossed around the room at the Hobby Club, when I arrived this evening,

some guy was looking to sell a stack of postcards for drink money, it caught my eye and I decided to take it.

Ricky, can you post an example of the crosses you mentioned??

Kevin in Deva. :beer:

Edited by Kev in Deva

Guest Rick Research

Though badly out of focus, I think the first biggest one you posted is "Lemnos."

Page of them here from ? P. Pashkov's "The White Armies' Orders & Badges in the Civil War 1917-1922" English translation of 1983:

I was able to xerox the Russian language one of 1961 but that's in worse shape to scan a copy from since it is older than most of our readers. :rolleyes:

The Allies INSISTED that the men be re-settled in host countries AS UNITS rather than individually, which I would have thought (in addition to simply being bizarre) was politically and militarily dangerous, for those uncertain times. :speechless:

I knew a survivor of the 1919 "Ice March" (lost all his toes, which fascinated me as a yout' never having seen frostbite amputations before or since) who was resettled in what was then "Jugoslavia," where he ended up with the Chetniks in the Second War.

These are not technically "unit badges" since they are of a place and not specific units. The ones made while still in internment were quite crude, whereas ones made in places like Paris in the "affluent" late 1920s were made in silver and enamel. They fall into every material in between, since the wearer had to buy his own-- wherever he ended up.

One thing is certain-- no pretender would have gotten away with having CLAIMED to have been entitled to one as long as the real veterans were around.

Guest Rick Research

Well, the recipient is in HUNGARIAN, the upper message is in that and GERMAN (mixed) , and the lower message is in ROMANIAN.

Unfortunately the blurred wrinkled grease pencil defies any clear reading of the only one of those I can read-- but the next to last line is "zu Gutern" in German script.

I attach pictures of the back, perhaps Carol I could translate.

As Rick has said, only the writing in black pencil is in Romanian, and that is an address. I presume it was that of the sender.

post-950-1224343457.jpg

Geoagiu de Jos (Lower Geoagiu)

Băile (Spas)

Villa Dubleşiu (Dubleşiu Villa, Dubleşiu being most likely the name of the owner of the house)

Jud. Hunedoara (Hunedoara County)

• 2 years later...

Just in case anyone looks back at this, the photo is of some Cossack 'djigits' or trick-riders. The badges are Lemnos crosses as most of the cossacks (particularly Kuban) were dumped there after the Civil War. The djigit groups were very popular between the wars & enabled many of the cossacks to get gainful employment.

I hope this helps!

• 2 years later...

I'm late to the game but I'd like to offer a different interpretation of these photos. The regional hat (I have several), the distinctive and traditional choka (tunic) and the kindjal all suggest Georgian to me. Georgia wasn't conquered until 1921 so 1920s works, maybe late '20s. A trick rider group of escaped/resettled/whatever Whites isn't impossible, I suppose (see Buffalo Bill), but that seems sacrilegious to me and I tend to doubt it.

Nice find.

Chuck

This is russian cossack with (most likely) "Lemnos" cross (post #2).

Just in case anyone looks back at this, the photo is of some Cossack 'djigits' or trick-riders ...The djigit groups were very popular between the wars & enabled many of the cossacks to get gainful employment.

Every cossack http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cossacks can be (with proper training) a dzhigit http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dzhigit

The regional hat (I have several), the distinctive and traditional choka (tunic) and the kindjal all suggest Georgian to me.

Chuck, these are typical elements of cossack uniform http://forum.alexanderpalace.org/index.php/topic,3704.0.html

Cheers,

Nick

Edited by JapanX

• 3 weeks later...
    • 2 weeks later...
    • 7 years later...