News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Belgian order of Leopold ll

• Replies 171
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A Knight of the Order with a Palm leaf and the letter "A", would this be for WW1 or is it a made up one?

Hi,

The palm, having the cypher "A" of King Albert I, does indeed signify a WW1 wartime award. Similarly, the Military Decoration (2nd class as it doesn't have the 1st class chevron device on its ribbon) stems from the Albert I period as its reverse bears the cypher ...

Nice ones !

Cheers,

Hendrik

To get this thread back upon the right track, here is one op my knight badges.

This one belonged to a Flemish WW1 soldier, who clearly a was Flemish nationalist, because he tore off the centre medaillon with the French inscription "l'union fait la force" and engraved a flemish lion in its stead.

:beer:

Jan

Edited by Vatjan

Nice one to know, however I must admit it's not really one I would like to have in my collection ......

It appears somehow strange to me...

And yes, let's split the thread so it will get the attention it deserves!!

Kind regards,

Jacky

Nice one to know, however I must admit it's not really one I would like to have in my collection ......

It appears somehow strange to me...

Only that this one tells you way more about the recipient than any other "un-altered" ones one might in his collection. :jumping:

Jan

Just to help clarify things for me, the Knights level with the WW1 palm, would that have been issued to a civilian for bravery, because there are no crossed swords? Or could it also be issued to a soldier?

No, they were given to soldiers, for bravery in the field.

The crossed swords come later, every 10 years, to keep the memory alive, the government offers a "promotion" to veterans who have accumulaterd a certain amount of points. These points are calculated through the time spent in the trenches and the awards won. These promotion orders are distinguishable from the others through the application of swords.

I admit it is quite complicated :cheeky:

Jan

Edited by Vatjan

On the ring, next to the silver mark. The crossed arrows is the makers mark for Wolfers

Dear Olivier,

:shame: Sorry but I have to correct this, the crossed arrows are the Marks of WALRAVENS in Brussels and not from WOLFERS the mark was in use from 1942 until 1966 (end of Walravens)

;)

see here the mark

Edited by g_deploige

That's stange, becouse I have the french Officer in the order of Leopold II wich is marked with the arrows and is in a Wolfers box. I have a knight in the order of the crown wich is marked with the arrows and is in a box from Wolfers and I have a real golden miniature of the workersmedal wich is marked with the arrows and sits in a box of Wolfers.

Can you give me an explenation for this?

That's stange, becouse I have the french Officer in the order of Leopold II wich is marked with the arrows and is in a Wolfers box. I have a knight in the order of the crown wich is marked with the arrows and is in a box from Wolfers and I have a real golden miniature of the workersmedal wich is marked with the arrows and sits in a box of Wolfers.

Can you give me an explenation for this?

Walravens registerd this mark in 1942 by the Royal Mint in Brussels

It is possible that Wolfers sold Pieces made by Walravens and put it in his boxes :o

• 4 weeks later...

So what is this one? Is it legit or made up?

The knight cross is given for actions in the 1st World War, for ancienety in the administration or the army or for other reason this person recieved the golden medal in the Order of Leopold II, with is lower in rank than the knight degree, for that reason a bar with the miniature of the golden medal was placed on the ribbon of the knight cross.

the bars where created on the 19 january 1962, it exist olso for the medals and palms of the order of the crown

:beer: