News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Fast Fingers = Just in from Germany

Well, Sascha, first I thought that the device with crown and swords on my bar was for a Prussian Kronenorden 4th class, but I was also suggested that it could have been the less awarded (at least in the Franco-Prussian war 1870-71) House Order of Hohenzoller, RK mit Schwertern. Difficult to say with any doubt. I think the crown device on the RAO it must look differently, like the ones shown before, with the red enamal background.

Just my 2 cents...

Ciao,

Claudio

Just my 2 cents...

Methinks this too, so we have four cents by now ... :cheeky:

(and as I understand, Bernd D's the same opinion)

PS:

Doesn't anyone want to see me bar in full? :catjava:

Edited by saschaw

Claudio said:

Pleeeeeeeease Sascha, show us your bar in its full spleandor!!! :P;)

Ooohhh, very kind you ask for this one ... :P

Even without any decoration on it, in my honest opinion one of my nicest bars:

post-1172-1155936936.jpeg

Edited by saschaw

And the reverse, all well done in fine pre-1897 quality:

PS: Got the Schulterstück with the bar and think they might have belonged together, but the Schulterstück is not from 1870, but might rather be from 1890 or so.

PPS: btw, bought it from Carsten Zeige, Hamburg.

PPPS: Pardon for these crappy little pictures, could please someone tell me when I can post larger pictures than just 100kb a posting?

post-1172-1155937158.jpeg

Edited by saschaw

The oak leaves are very small. Is it normal ? I'm not familiar with medals before 1900.

No, it is not normal, a absolutely untypical oak leaves for such a Baden decoration.

The bar's wearer was Prussian, maybe his tailor had not a fitting one ...

• 17 years later...
    On 18/08/2006 at 23:36, saschaw said:

Even without any decoration on it, in my honest opinion one of my nicest bars:

post-1172-1155936936.jpeg

With support from the Research Gnome Community™, special thanks owed to Glenn and Daniel, I think I was able to attribute this unusual ribbon bar. In the early 1880s rank lists, only one officer wears a combination of EK2, KO4X, RAO4, DA and any Zähringer lion knight's cross with oak leaves and swords, with no other awards: Major Adolf Jouanne, in 1881 in Ulanen-Regiment No. 7.

I'm having a gap in the Prussian ranklists, but my later Baden sources have him as "Oberst a. D.", and he seems to be dead by 1902. In total, he won three Zähringer lions grades: First, an "BZ3aX" in 1872, then additional oaks ("E") in 1877, and a final commanders' cross ("BZ2b") in 1883. Unter the revised 1879 statutes, this one would not replace the cross with swords, so he wore one on the neck and alongside one on the medal bar.

Could someone confirm this attribution? Did he serve as Oberstleutnant in Ulanen-Regiment No. 2, or does the Schulterstück not belong to the bar? Also, might someone have a picture of this man, with or without his medals? I don't dare to dream of a picture with exactly this ribbon bar in wear...

jouanne m. ek2, ko4x, rao4, da u. bz3axe, rl 1881.jpg

Oberstleutnant Jouanne was an Offizier von der Armee in the 1883 rank list with the uniform of UR 7. He was named to command UR 1 that year, and retired from that command on 16.9.1885 with the Charakter of Oberst and the uniform of UR 1. He died on 2.2.1899. No UR 2 connection that I know of.

He received the RA2 around 1883, but that's another neck award.