News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Spanish Air Force Medal with Swastika ?

Mike

I've had this for a few years now and have never been able to ID it. It looks like Ikarus on the front ..but then again , why would they feature him since he crashed? It has the Falange Yoke and arrows ...?

That item is not related in any way to neither the Condor Legion nor the Spanish Civil War.

Hi Panzerpionier, Have you ever seen this style Eagle (with a Castle on it's chest) being used in Spain for anything ? I only thought it was Spanish because of the ribbon "buckle" and the arrow cluster.

For all I know , it could be the Rare Albanian Hang Glider Night Fighters award :rolleyes:

I do appreciate your help and if you do have any idea , please let me know. It is a strange one.

--Mike

Hi Panzerpionier, Have you ever seen this style Eagle (with a Castle on it's chest) being used in Spain for anything ? I only thought it was Spanish because of the ribbon "buckle" and the arrow cluster.

For all I know , it could be the Rare Albanian Hang Glider Night Fighters award :rolleyes:

I do appreciate your help and if you do have any idea , please let me know. It is a strange one.

--Mike

That castle is the crest of the Spanish city of Ciudad Real:

IPB Image

BTW the ribbon is wrong.

Best regards

Edited by Panzerpionier

That castle is the crest of the Spanish city of Ciudad Real:

IPB Image

BTW the ribbon is wrong.

Best regards

If the ribbon is wrong ...what ribbon should it have ? I'm not sure if I understand . You said " That item is not related in any way to neither the Condor Legion nor the Spanish Civil War." ..The metal buckle on the top of the ribbon looks like a Spanish construction style. Add the crest of the Spanish city of Ciudad Real that you found with the Arrow group and a short arm Swastika and I hope you could see why I thought it was a WW2 era Spanish award. Well , thatnks for looking at it anyway and , maybe someday I'll be able to match it up. ---Mike

If the ribbon is wrong ...what ribbon should it have ? I'm not sure if I understand . You said " That item is not related in any way to neither the Condor Legion nor the Spanish Civil War." ..The metal buckle on the top of the ribbon looks like a Spanish construction style. Add the crest of the Spanish city of Ciudad Real that you found with the Arrow group and a short arm Swastika and I hope you could see why I thought it was a WW2 era Spanish award. Well , thatnks for looking at it anyway and , maybe someday I'll be able to match it up. ---Mike

That medal was created by the Spanish city of Ciudad Real for the Blue Division veterans. Therefore you can find the swastika, the arrows of the Falange party, the eagle of the official Blue Division medal and the crest of the city. Being a post-1939 item, that medal does not qualify as an Spanish Civil War item and is off-topic here.

The ribbon should be red with two black and one yellow thin stripes.

Sorry you have had such unuseful responses, Mike. Would think the folks who hang out here would appreciate fascist Spanish medals more.

It's ok Ed ..it's probably my fault for not putting it in the correct section I guess. At least I learned something new about it.

A few months ago I ended up with a Cased Medal given to Italian Vol who fought in Spain ..also made by a City. It was a job finding out what that was as well. There are so many unoffical medals out there ..you'd figure someone would have done a book about them by now.

--Thanks --Mike

I loved seeing it! I just couldn't say anything about it. It was a mystery to me as well. I think you might have misunderstood Panzerpioneer. His comments did seem harsh but he is really helpful on all Spanish items. I think it is just a bit of a language thing and comes off as short. He is always really helpful. I have also been lobbying to add Division Azul to this forum so it might turn out to be in the right place someday anyways ;)

Best, Sal

I loved seeing it! I just couldn't say anything about it. It was a mystery to me as well. I think you might have misunderstood Panzerpioneer. His comments did seem harsh but he is really helpful on all Spanish items. I think it is just a bit of a language thing and comes off as short. He is always really helpful. I have also been lobbying to add Division Azul to this forum so it might turn out to be in the right place someday anyways ;)

Best, Sal

Thanks Sal

• 11 years later...

Hello , The swastika was a finnish emblem , The Falange had in Salamanca his own Military school for officers aspirants . separated of the ones managed by the Army , The director or chief instructor of the Falange Academy was finnish volunteer Von Hartmaan , politically falangist and active . perhaps the medal is of these Academy . 

• 6 months later...

This is a Spanish medal associated with both the Civil War and the Blue Division. I've seen it referred to as the Royal City Volunteers Cross on some websites. I have not been able to determine it's origin or history. Here is a picture of one from my collection along with a Spanish Order of Military Merit with Red Distinction and Blue Division Russian Campaign Medal.

DSCF6034.JPG

DSCF6036.JPG

I learned that this medal in question was awarded to Blue Division volunteers that came from the town of Ciudad Real in Castile-La Mancha, Spain. It's a not often seen medal that fetches a decent price on the collectors market.