News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Nice Soldier With Badges Portrait Oct 1964

Guest Rick Research

:Cat-Scratch: is the Lieutenant*** wearing a earring in his left earlobe? :speechless1:

This is interesting-- his Soviet clone armored car specialty badge is worn over his LEFT pocket rather than over the RIGHT, where a Soviet one would be worn. :cheers:

I've seen these clone armored car badges with a simple hook catch pin on back-- is that what distinguished them from screwback Soviet ones?

*** Horst Buchholz in "The Magnificent Seven" :rolleyes:

That is a very interesting photo - the Excelent Soldier badge is clearly the "skeleton" form of the badge and the grouping location in unique. As for the tank badges - some threads ago we did touch on the Soviet style ones as these are pinback as Rick mentioned. The second photo is also interesting as it is a group of soldiers from the Interior Ministry of the Border Guard.

Yes - Verdun 16 does have some very nice items - I hope he will share more of his gems in the future! :jumping:

A nice group photo dated 1950 on the reverse,

Bryan

I eagerly await the response from the group to Charles comment that this photo shows Ministry of the Interior Border Guard troops. Anyone care to comment on why he said that? Except you of course Charles!

Regards,

Gordon

Picked this one up in Budapest back in the early 1990s. Back is dated 1964.X but no other info,

Bryan

Some interesting things to note about this photo.

1-he appears to be wearing the white plastic rank stars. These rank stars had a single hole in the top but a double hole in the bottom of the star allowing them to be sewn to the collar tab.

2-he is wearing the Killian Sports Badge which was a country wide sports association but could also be worn on the military uniform. Next to that he has the military sports badge as Charles mentioned which appears to be of the early "cut out" version.

Regards,

Gordon

Great photo of am early HUPR Air Force chap. These uniforms are super rare. I know because I bought one a couple of months ago that turned out not to be completely original. When I checked with the Military Museum here in Budapest it was really hard to tell if it was real or not. Major problem was that even the Military Museum does not have one of these tunics!

Regards,

Gordon

whoa-who is that in the last picture? Civil Guard? Police?

yes - very interesting - he may be - a civilian contractor to drive military vehicles or more likely he is Postal. I have to check my reference material - not with me at work right now...

Well it appears that he is not a civil military driver. He may be postal, but I am not sure. He could even be from some obsucre unit. I picked up a cap with HUPR buttons on it, dark blue with red trim a cap badge wich depicted a bridge with water and red star. It seems that this particular cap was worn by men who guarded the bridges... so there are some pretty obscure things out there. I wonder if we can get a better close up on the cap and the ollar tabs???

Gents,

I would put my money on an early factory guard. The picture below is blurry but the white area at the front of the collar tabs is two white stripes with some sort of emblem at the other end of the collar tab. Note the absence of shoulder boards.

Regards,

Gordon

Edited by Gordon Craig

That propoganda image threw me for some time as well. She is actually a member of the MT or "Magyar Talulo" (Hungarian Learners?). Blue collar tabs apear to be for rail, red for heavy industry, wine red for logistics, etc.... I have a belt buckle, cap badge and collar tab of these uniforms - how I wish I had a uniform... this is a single collar tab that I have for the logisitcs branch. This organization was similar to SZIT in that it was charged with educating and indoctrinating the young men and women who were slated for trades. Each band on the collar tab indicated a year of study. This is my logistics branch / trade learning for one year of study.

Edited by hunyadi

Charles,

Eureka! I'm familiar with the foto you posted of the girls in class but I always thought they were SZIT uniforms. Very interesting to find out about this MT organization. I have been looking at MT stuff at the Coin and Stamp show and debating about buying some but didn't because I was not sure what I would be buying. That wil stop today? Here is another MT artifact. Do you have any info on it?

Regards,

Gordon

Here is another award that I think may be associated with the MT as well as the Children's Railroad. The award is badly battered so it is hard to tell if the letters MT are actually on the medal part but it certainly looks like the symbpl on the other medal. The picture is from a local Hungarian medals site. I have never seen one in real life.