News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

• Replies 181
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Brian von Etzel

Rick, I thought you had a Milit?rischer Karl-Friedrich-Verdienstorden... That's a closeup and clear photo I'd like to see.

Stop it! you guys are cracking me up!.... :P

I have this one on the way...with a ribbon bar and some other bits and pieces...

Only have a Fur Verdienst Medaille and document elsewise...

Anyway am looking forward to seeing what else turnes up here...

Oh! and whats this Mannheim badge all about? it came with the Bar in a lot.

Cheers

Paul

And what about the ribbon bar with BV3 (Baden Karl Friedrich Verdienst Orden). One of my 2 ribbon bars with this order. I have received last week the second one from the same officer. As soonas I have another scan I will take photos and post them. I will give the short history of this officer at the same time.

Regards

Christophe

Guest John Harman

Always liked this interesting catch-all war medal; retroactive to 1806 and awarded until 1871. Wrong ribbon, but that's how she came!

Guest John Harman

Joe,

According to v. Hessenthal/Schreiber, these were oxidized copper-bronze until 1866, afterwards oxidized pure copper. This one must be the latter. I have another, below, which has more of a dull bronze look.

notned,

The badge is for the association of former members of the 110th Gren.Rgt. The cypher in the middle was that of Kaiser Wilhelm I, for whom the regiment was named. They wore this cypher on their shoulder straps. Can we get a better look at the other tinnie that is in the picture?

Chip

notned,

Actually, I was talking about the one with the helmeted soldier, that has "Mannheim" on it. This one you are now showing is a bit small for my old eyes. Can you enlarge it so that the inscription might be read? The cypher is also that of the 110th Grenadiers.

Chip

Hi Chip,

I see now...sorry but the pic i have is the sellers and i have tried to enlarge it but its just making it really fuzzy.

The actual pic he put on the auction was only 60 odd kilobytes so i cannot make it bigger no matter what.

But i have enclosed the pic for you.

Cheers

Paul

Thanks Chip.

Cool!

Now i want to know more about this 110 grenadier regiment.

Obviously a Baden regiment. but where did they fight and was their commander noteable? and maybe this wee bar could be traceable? due to the centarmedaille?

Hmmmmm, at least i know which regiment he was from...more than some bars i have..

Cheers

Paul

Thanks Chip.

Cool!

Now i want to know more about this 110 grenadier regiment.

Obviously a Baden regiment. but where did they fight and was their commander noteable? and maybe this wee bar could be traceable? due to the centarmedaille?

Hmmmmm, at least i know which regiment he was from...more than some bars i have..

Cheers

Paul

The bar isn't traceable because it isn't an officer's bar. Also, by the lack of a long-service medal (Baden switched from clasps to medals for long service in 1913), I'm going to go out on a limb and guess he served a stint in the late 1890s with GR 110, qualifying for the Centenary Medal, and then got out, and was recalled in World War I. In that case he might not have served with GR 110 in the war, but with a reserve, Landwehr or Ersatz unit, or possibly in the rear in a support position. He didn't get an Iron Cross, so he might be just one of thousands of anonymous soldiers who did their duty.

The prewar history of GR 110 is reproduced here, at the site of a reenactor/historical preservation group dedicated to the regiment: 2. Bad. Grenadier-Rgt. Kaiser Wilhelm I. No. 110

During the war, the regiment was part of the 55. Infanterie-Brigade of the 28. Infanterie-Division. David Gregory has a summary of the division's structure and its Gefechtskalendar here: http://www.zeltbahn.net/wehrpass/28id.htm

GR 110 had the second-largest number of MKFVO recipients with 13, one less that LGR 109's 14.

The regimental commander at the outbreak of the war was Otto Freiherr von Diepenbroick-Gr?ter, but he became commander of the 58. Infanterie-Brigade on 7 October 1914, when the XIV (badisches) Armeekorps was redeployed from Alsace-Lorraine to Arras. He was awarded the Pour le Merite on 13 June 1918 as commander of the 10. Infanterie-Division.

I'm not sure who immediately succeeded him, but in 1917 at Verdun GR 110 was commanded by Heinrich Wambold, whose ribbon bars Stogie-Rick owns or owned. Maybe he still has?

David,

Thankyou very much for the information and the website links.

I am just pleased to be able to find out the history of this regiment and know that i have the bar and veteran badges for a Gent who was a footslogger in this Illustrious regiment of the Kaiser.

All my other bars tell me Zip,nada, zilch! so its nice to have some history behind the bars.

Cheers

Paul.

Dave,

Thanks for showing the link to the 28. Infanterie-Division overview. Those pages have their own URL now which reads as follows:

http://www.militaerpass.net/28id.htm

If anyone wants anything specific on Grenadier-Regiment 110, I've got the regimental history.

Nice stuff guys.

Cheers,

David

Edited by David Gregory