News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Another Wurttemberger with a Foreign Order

The previous topic on the Gustav Klein group brought to mind this group that has always intigued me. I haven't held out much hope of knowing the recipient in spite of the unusual combination. The only clue to its Wurttemberg roots in the 20 year reserve cross. As far as I know there are no rolls on the Saxe-Weimar cross. Perhaps the Swedish North Star Knight is the key?

That?s a really nice bar Beau. :love:

The Saxe-Weimar cross is rare enough

by itself; but mounted in a group... wow! :jumping:

I do have a question though - is there a reason as to

why it is mounted between the two Prussian medals?

It's also a little odd that the LS cross is right behind the EKII.

Hmm, not to odd for a W?rttemberger. Keep in mind: anything else on the bar is "foreign"!

I don't know why exactly but the PrRKM 2 and 3 are sandwiching anything, at least mostly.

Great bar with that rare W?rttemberg XX, that Weimar cross and a nice combination with a foreign order. Good luck for identifying.

:cheers:

Guest Rick Research

Agh. The Weimar Roll--assuming there is one (I don't have it) would ID this is a flash.

It is backwards for a Frackspange-- somebody interpreting regulations wrong-- fairly common.

It is not necessarily medical-- before the war the Prussian Red Cross Medals were more often given for donations etc. There is nothing Red Cross related from W?rttemberg.

Had a look through 1914 and didn't find him-- but then this could be a businessmann retired as an Oberleutnant dL in 1903 or.... every year has to be checked.

The Swedish Order is another instant eye opener-- but could be post-1918.

This is one that needs to be checked year after year after year after year in the W?rttemberg dR and dL officers.

Argh! I misread what you typed Claudio! Sorry.

I assume the bar is just at an angle.

A double red cross medal-ESP. a @2nd class to me says "medical person". Looking at ranklists, photos, court handbooks etc. The VAST majority of DRK medals were actually awarded to people who worked with/in hospitals and the wounded. This is especially true of war time awards (note placement of red cross medals).

Edited by Ulsterman

Guest Rick Research

But what seems at this point to rule out a DIRECT medical connection is the lack of the same sorts of awards-- Olga Medals and Charlotte Cross-- from "home state" W?rttemberg. That Weimar cross is a kicker-- I think when ID'd this will turn out to be a businessman type outside W?rttemberg's borders, retired from dR or dL status long before the war.

ID-ing this from the order of the North Star is not impossible.... but a lot of work. The easiest way, or should I say"easiest", is to look in the "statskalender". The book lists living holders of the Swedish orders that year.

I only have the books for 1887, 1902 and 1937. In 1937 there are about 1000 foreign knigths of the North Star. Maybe 100 germans...

Looks like the order is made of gold. This means that it was awarded before 1926. After that year only gilded silver crosses were given to foreigners. For some reason many just ignored the rule of sending it back after the recipients death.... :rolleyes:

/Kim