News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Is anyone here bidding on the cased Bavarian observer grouping finishing today on Ebay? Wow it is sure making much much more than it is worth (IMO) It is nearly up to ?2500 when I last looked. Items in box seem to be fine but I am just not convinced that the box is anything to do with the awards.Seems like a ' marriage ' to me . :rolleyes: It's very easy to ' convert ' a knife and fork box or such to look like a fancy presentation box,too easy in my mind. No ribbons seem to be present with the medals and they are just (it appears) sitting in the folds of the satin box lining. Still the punters are going mental to own it,if you ask me it smells unsafe . I would put the total value of goods at ?1200 tops. Hey,ho... it's not my money !! Ferg1.

Guest Rick Research

I've never understood why a jeweller's box is worth more than whatever's in it, me. Must be some kind of "fetish" thing beyond my limited imagination. :rolleyes:

:shame:

ah..ah...ah...there is more to this than meets the eye. There are photos and documents included, but (according to the seller if he is to be believed) he accidentally attached to another F-P medal bar group. And WOW, is that a great group itself. more on that below.

But to begin, the observer and the F-P group are father and son. As I said, the observer has documents and photos, specifically a doc for his observer badge along with some other ancillary docs. The photo has the recipient in front of his plane (that has personalized insignia).

The F-P group has a medal bar w/ 1870s EKII with oak leaves and 1914 bar. Now, I know you (like me) would be suspicious of this bar but the group comes with award docs AND a photo of the father wearing the EXACT medal bar. outstanding. still five days left in the bidding.

And that boys & girls.... is why we (A) rarely discuss active auctions, (B) ALWAYS click "View seller's other items" and © shop directly on the site.... because ....

"This item is not available for purchase on eBay United States.

Learn more about our accepted payments policy.

View the original listing on eBay and buy this item on eBay Germany "

I've been following this auction, and I thought at first the spange with repeat bar was put together. Then I looked a little closer.....

Your response is bit cryptic. Do you believe it or do you have some doubts?

The boxed aviation related materials went for ?5100 and the bar with the repeat clasp is almost half that price with a few more days to go.

If the person who got the aviation items wants the documents (and bar belonged to the father) he's going to have to pay a hefty amount to keep it all together at this point. He also stands a good chance of not being able to keep both of them together. Pity to see groups split up, but this looks like what's about to happen.

Stogie: Non culpa mea est.

Les

Edited by Les

Shame to see it split up. The father's medal bar certainly seems to be the one in the photograph, which would make it the only documented example of the 1914 Bar to the 1870 EK2 I recall seeing. Assuming the Bar itself is original. It probably is. But if not, it wouldn't be the first time valuable accessories had been removed from groupings and replaced by fakes. If the medal bar has been assembled more recently, it has been very well done by someone who took the time to reproduce the angles at which accessories were fixed and their positions relative to the ribands. It strikes me that the vendor doesn't know what he is selling or, at least, didn't know when he put this family grouping up for sale. Look at the careless manner in which the father's medals have been shoved in the case. I would say that it is OK and might go for it myself if I hadn't sunk this quarter's 'recreational' budget into my latest old motorbike.

PK

Edited by PKeating

All that belong together was sold together. the buyer of the aviation group got all the documents from the observer and the documents from the father with the big 1870 bar will be sell together. Nothing suspect here except the confusind description.

Regards Alex

Les, I know, I know....

I think as time progresses, as the market continually gets flooded with fakes, newly made bars, etc. When a group shows up that is just... well, perfect.

Prices will sail to the moon.

New blood, lots of money.... and the rest of us will bemoan the "Good old days"

At this point, I'll just concentrate on trying to retrieve pieces I sold. At least bring back home the ones I know to be good. Docs, groups, etc. to a flyer.... documented 1870 repeat spange.... this is like the Holy Grail for an EK collector! I expect this group to end up over 10K for all of it. Frankly, the 1870 bar and pix is the real prize IMO.