News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Albania - COLLAR OF ALBANIA and ORDER OF SKANDERBEG.

To me it looks like a custom piece, very similar to what they've done on Serbian and Russian orders (for exactly Gold with Diamonds White Eagle Orders for the Noble family of Serbia etc), if a Nobleman or Higher ranked official had the money they could get it done.

That's my initialy observation, its a nice piece and I like the style of Eagle on it :)

As usual, Elmar is quite correct. A noble descendant of Skenderbeg resident in southern Italy founded & awarded several orders as well as titles during the 1880s-1900s. The Italian government of the time appears to have recognized his noble descent and princely title, at least.

The orders included an “Order of Epirus”, “Order of Skenderbeg” and “Order of the Orient”. A bestowal document clearly indicates that each of these orders were distinct entities. French, Italian, Spanish, and possibly other nationals received, qualified for or otherwise obtained these awards.

Sources including Gillingham’s Ephemeral Orders [1935] & a recent ANS auction catalog identify a star comparable to that illustrated in the catalog under discussion as being “Order of Epirus” insignia. Though very likely an uncommon decoration, the pieces are not ‘one off’ insignia. At least three similarly constructed stars, one other sash badge and an identical badge fitted with a neck cravat suspension exist in private collections.

• 11 months later...
    • 1 month later...
    • 4 weeks later...

Finally got this - beautiful medal, Order for Bravery, intricate design incl. a hinge.

What's interesting is also - and I didn't notice this until I looked at the picture - the signature on the front of the medal right below the chin of Zog.

It appears to be the name of the designer of the medal?

"P. Turin 14" is my guess - apparently Pierre Turin, a French artist well known for making bronze medals

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_12_2014/post-679-0-49294600-1419617017.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_12_2014/post-679-0-25271000-1419617024.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_12_2014/post-679-0-77792900-1419617027.jpg

Bob, Congratulations on your beautiful Medal for Bravery, 3rd class!!! A well designed and struck, very rare medal indeed!!

Know of fewer than ten of these currently extant in collections. You are correct, P. Turin designed this [1928-29] while working at A. Bertrand, Paris, according to both Klietmann and Lame. Rrumbullaku does not identify the designer or maker. Lame appears confused over ribbons--yours has a correct ribbon according to most examples seen and Rrumbullaku. No idea of the number of these actually awarded, Statute limited eligibility to 1000 in total but seriously doubt whether more than 50-100 ever officially bestowed.

Thies sold a second class Bravery Medal on wrong ribbon some years ago--think it went for about 800 euros?

Again, congratulations!!

Thanks - appreciate the additional detail.

This was the one item (to my surprise) which I was still able to putting a winning bid on.

Rrumbullaku - what source is that? It sounds like I may have missed a book!

Onufri of Tirana published Filip Rrumbullaku's Dekorimet in 2010, copies still may be available from publisher. Saw a copy for sale at an OMSA convention 2-3 years ago for about $75. Book contains much more documentation from original sources than any other readily available materials seen to date. Albanian language text makes it very difficult for those non conversant with the language. However, some portions are easily comprehensible no matter which languages you know. While graphics do not come near Lame in quality or sharpness, it depicts, among other illustrations, the only image of the Order of Bravery 3rd class neck badge [all other sources incorrectly show the Medal of Bravery as the Order's 3rd class] in the literature, 296 pages including lists of some persons decorated with various awards. It describes awards from 1914 through 1998.

The emedals item displays the most usually encountered Medal of Bravery damage -- also seen on Scanderbeg officer badges --- bent flagstaff spear points. Looks like only one of you piece's is slightly bent.

As to the post #37 star....these"variants" seem to first appear in the 1970s, often in Klenau auctions or Charles Lusted sale lists, and later offered by other dealers including Ernst Blass. Some say Blass 'commissioned' them. Most often of the 1940-43 pattern but sometimes Zogist pattern and usually with blue enamel medallion centers. Lame illustrates one of these 1940 pattern, vol I, pp. 162-3. They are usually silver plated or gilt thin metal with no maker or metal fineness marks and crude hinges/pins. Sometimes seen in 65 mm. or 74-76 mm. diameter [so-called Grand Officer] but more often in 85 mm. diameter. Badges of similar workmanship and material exist, probably from the same sources. Usually very poor and sometimes 'flaking' off gilding or silvering overall and enamels slightly off in color. Similar production quality BESA Order insignia appear on the market as well [Lame illustrates such a type BESA Grand Cross set].

Never saw any period photo image of these 'design variants' so suspect they are fakes made for the collector market. I would be happy to be corrected on this point.

Hello,

Albanian awards from the Zog and the Savoy period can still be a mystery, but in my opinion (but I'm almost sure), the breast star posted by Bob is one of the various more-or-less fantasy pieces made at the workshop of the former Alberti firm of Milan, assembling different parts.

E.L.

Edited by Elmar Lang

• 10 months later...

Something very rare... An order of skanderbeg award document from 1930, framed, awarded to Italian "Giulio Folegatti" and signed by King Zog... Will be digging into my albania book collection to try to find out more about him!

without the actual award

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Yep, that is all i was able to find with google as well. I am not at home but in a couple of days will be and will then do a search in the 3piece fairly exhaustive history booms of albania which i have.

There is one hint in red on the document but my albanian is a bit 'rusty' - perhaps a native speaker can help : educational instructor kruje?

• 2 years later...
    On 3/19/2009 at 08:15, Artan Lame said:

143_Dekoratat.jpg

Hey everyone Ive heard that the order of Bravery theoretically had three classes? Do any of you have any idea what those classes would have looked like? the one pictured would be the hero class (first) but what about the Martyr (2nd) or the Brave (3rd) Classes????

Edited by roberttheknight

Rrumbullaku's Dekorimet [see earlier posts for full citation] page 83 seems to be the only source that gets all three classes right.  He includes poor quality images of all 3 classes plus their description.

HEROI/HEROIT {Hero} lst class neck badge & star as worn by King Zog in the image above.

THERORI {Martyr} 2nd class is a neck badge similar to HERO class but with the Skenderbeg Crown replaced by an ornament that looks like an upside down fleur-e-lis.

TRIMI {Brave} 3rd class is a neck badge similar to THEROR design but the wreath and swords are NOT suspended from the eagle's talons.

Other usually accurate sources [Klietmann and Lame] indicate that TRIM insignia is the same as the Bravery Medal.  According to Rrumbullaku's documentation [via Arthus Bertrand archives?] this is incorrect. 

I know of only 3 complete HEROI/HEROIT sets, one THERORI badge and one TRIMI badge--one of the HEROI/HEROIT sets may be an unissued specimen.  Bertrand made and marked at least one run of the insignia, maybe in 1927-8.

Hi to all,

As per Law 10.01.1928, the Order of Bravery (Urdheri i Trimerise) has 3 clases and the Medal of Bravery in 3 clases.

Order: Hero, Theror, Trim.

Medal: Gold, Silver, Bronze.

I the same law is specified:

-HERO, lst class, neck badge & star

-THEROR, 2nd class, neck badge

-TRIM, 3rd class, medal, 5 cm over the the belt.

The neck badge and the Trim class have a green ribbon and the three classes of medal have a red ribbon.

I think that the Rumbullaku has some wrong informations, including the image of Trim class that is a fantasy design. 

An attached, image of the original article of law, with the denomination of the different classes of the order.

Thank you.

Artan

thumbnail (14).jpg

1 hour ago, Artan Lame said:

Hi to all,

As per Law 10.01.1928, the Order of Bravery (Urdheri i Trimerise) has 3 clases and the Medal of Bravery in 3 clases.

Order: Hero, Theror, Trim.

Medal: Gold, Silver, Bronze.

I the same law is specified:

-HERO, lst class, neck badge & star

-THEROR, 2nd class, neck badge

-TRIM, 3rd class, medal, 5 cm over the the belt.

The neck badge and the Trim class have a green ribbon and the three classes of medal have a red ribbon.

I think that the Rumbullaku has some wrong informations, including the image of Trim class that is a fantasy design. 

An attached, image of the original article of law, with the denomination of the different classes of the order.

Thank you.

Artan

thumbnail (14).jpg

So according to this source its a medal worn at the breast? What do you mean by 5cm over the belt?

Hello, just to add some further material to this discussion, I would like to post a scan of an old drawing dating from the '30s (tempera on thin cardboard) from the archive of an Italian firm, once producers of orders and decorations, depicting the "Hero" class of Albania's Military Order:

Hero.jpg