News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

An Oberst. with an RK: 1941

here's a little photo I picked up at the local show. Taken in the early winter of 1941 in Russia, a battalion commander Oberstlt., WW1 vet with an RK.

RKs were still somewhat rare at this stage of the war. Alas, I can not make out the name. Dr Muntz?

Pity he wasn't wearing his ribbon bar, but it appears as if they didn't much in combat.

What a great find: An original portrait of a Brillantentr?ger (only 27) taken right after the award of the Ritterkreuz

It reads: Bataillons-Kommandeur Oberstleutnant Dr. Mauss, Russland 1941

It is the later Generalleutnant and Brillantentr?ger Dr.med.dent. Karl Mauss (a Dentist in civilian life)

* 17. Mai 1898, Pl?n / Holstein

+ 9. Februar 1959, Hamburg

Knight's Cross awarded as Oberstleutnant and commander of II. Bataillon Sch?tzen Regiment 69 on the 26 of November 1941 for holding the Bridge-head at the river Ugra.

Eichenlaub: November 24, 1943 as Oberst und Kommandeur PzGrenRgt 33

Schwerter: October 23, 1944 as Generalmajor und Kommandeur 7.PzDiv

Brillanten: April 15, 1945 as Generalleutnant und Kommandeur 7.PzDiv

Edited by Naxos

Dr. Mauss in his post war practice.

BTW: He was awarded the EKII at the Somme at the age of 16 (the youngest recipient in the Division)

Edited by Naxos

This is very interesting. I don't guess I've heard of him. Does anyone know his WW1 and WW2 awards?

WWI

enlisted in Infanterie-Regiment ?L?beck? (3. Hanseatisches) Nr. 162, later transferred to a J?gerbataillon

EKI

EKII

Hanseaten Kreuz (L?beck)

Was promoted to Leutnant in 1917. He fought in France , the Eastern- and the Italian Front

He changed in 1918 to Air Force and was trained as a an observer and pilot, but I don't know if he was awarded the Beobachter or Flugzeugf?hrerabzeichen.

Post WWI

He joined the Marinebrigade Erhard (Freikorps Oberland) and fought in Silesia. After the the battle of Annaberg on October 22, 1921 he was again promoted to Oberleutnant. He left the Army soon after.

Edited by Naxos