News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

1914 EKII in brass!

This one is strange-one piece,but complete in brass! The eye ring is just a piece of wire in a hole,the cross itself looks like one of the poor manufactured ones you can always find....just in brass.I'm sure the "core" is pebbled......

Micha

"Ugly and not believable" I agree with the ugly.....and I'm not sure what I've got here. No official piece at all! Either a try to jump on the train and make some money with the private manufacturing of iron crosses in the 20/30ies or just someone made a copy in brass. No idea...but anyway,it has it's place in the cabinet of the "strange" ones.

Micha

Nothing wrong-I didn't know there was a discussion about it until you showed me the link! I still have my doubts about any!! 1914 austrian manufactured iron crosses! But anyway-that variation is a keeper and the only wrong thing I can see is-it's not in my collection!

Micha

But anyway-that variation is a keeper !

Micha

thanks Micha,

That was my view as well. Odd enough or should I say interesting enough to keep. Real Ek or not.

Edited by gregM

I've had this for many years. One piece brass with very good details. Full size.

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_05_2009/post-6181-1243113179.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_05_2009/post-6181-1243113206.jpg

Here are a couple of one-piece or ersatz EK2 1914 I have had for a long time. They're struck on the same set of dies but one is unfinished. The finished example seems to be stove-enamelled. The strike is, as you can see, of very quality. They look a bit like nickel but that would have been a restricted resource so I'd hazard a guess that they are of good quality plated brass, judging by the ringing sound when tapped gently against a wooden surface.

PK

Very interesting find...I think it could in fact be genuine........in fact, similiar to what gregM said, there are numerous accounts of iron crosses being cast out of virtually anything near the end of world war I......it was cheaper than solid silver.

So in fact....I think it is genuine, yet just a later version

Edited by George Hammerton