News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

How are you storing and displaying your photos?

Hello Gentlemen,

Over ths last few years I have been purchasing photo postcards and actual photos and storing them in mylar (spelling?) top-loader protectors I purchase these from the local sports card shop. The mylar protectors come in many sizes so they fit a range of photos and post card sizes. This was all well and good until I reached a point where I have quite a few photos and the drawer I keep them in is completely full.

Do the members use albums with plastic pages? Or are some of these plastic pages bad for these old photos? I really need to do something before they start to flow out of the drawer and onto the floor.

Any suggestions are more than welcomed.

Regards

Brian

Ridiculously, I keep them in arch lever files, each photo or linked group of photos in an A4 plastic sleeve. Takes up space for no good reason & the materials they're stored in won't be doing the photos any good.

I should get a grip & store them in document boxes & protective sleeves, proper archive quality inert storage, I too would be happy to hear of suggestions & sources, costs of the storage items.

Guest Rick Research

I got a pile of the archival "forever" plastic pages (NOT cheapo made for throw away business presentations from chain office supply stores :speechless1: flimsy plastic pages) 30 years ago from a place that was then called "Light Impressions." Also got a roll of acid free tissue wrapping paper from them at the same time, as well as large acid free A4 size acid free heavy card paper folders for documents.

Have now run out of the plastic pages and am down to the last few sheets of acid free paper, but 30 years and no ill effects.Document folders good as new too.

Don't know if they're still in business, though. Not if they had to wait 30 years between my orders. :rolleyes:

It really is best to buy the best. "Expensive" doesn't matter decades later.

Any suggestions are more than welcomed.

There's an on-line outfit called "Bags Unlimited" that sells sleeves for CDVs, cabinets, and larger photos, as well as binder-ready pages for storing them. Bought a pile just last fall to organize my photo collection after too many years of tossing them all in a dark box. You'll find them if you do a Google search for "Bags Unlimited."

You might have to study the website a bit as it's junked up with a lot of other worthless crap ( ;) ) that's of no value to those who are only interested in old photos (like me).

Mark

• 4 weeks later...

To display them, scan them and use one of those electronic picture displays

Great idea Laurence. I would have never thought of using one of these for anything but family photos. I suppose one could also take photos of their favourite medal groups and do the same.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Regards

Brian

Great idea Laurence. I would have never thought of using one of these for anything but family photos. I suppose one could also take photos of their favourite medal groups and do the same.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Regards

Brian

You can also gang them in a larger format display (see http://tinyurl.com/mmd5ee). I've done several of these for collectors: Canadian Militia, Canadian Militia in Winter Dress, Canadian Artillery, and the latest . . . Swedish Cavalry. You get to enjoy them without putting the original images at risk, and they can be framed. This image at the link is low-resolution and is shown at about a third of it's finished size of 24" x 10".

Scans of my collection are set up to run as a screen saver on my monitor. Sure gets some attention.

Mark

Hello,

I use the Itoya a4 art profolio Professional.

Acid free paper, archival safe polyglass.

I buy one for each grouping of photos.

I collect u-boat photos,documents, so one for each boat,group.

They are expensive,but storage and display is fantastic.

Paul

• 4 months later...

Hello,

I use the Itoya a4 art profolio Professional.

Acid free paper, archival safe polyglass.

I buy one for each grouping of photos.

I collect u-boat photos,documents, so one for each boat,group.

They are expensive,but storage and display is fantastic.

Paul

hello

can you please show some page from your itoya album to see how it looks

thanks

• 2 weeks later...