News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

I've narrowed down my list of Imperial Medals i want to collect. I already have a decent Austrian collection so I want to set a different area to collect. I've narrowed the list to: Schaumburg-Lippe, Baden, Bavaria & Prussia ( I really like the Red Eagle). Any help would be appreciated.

:beer: Doc

well, you said "any help".

Let me see if I understand. The choices are 1) Bavaria & Prussia, 2) Baden or 3) Schaumburg-Lippe.

If you go with;

1) Bavaria & Prussia, the two largest states combined would provide the largest block of medals and awards to collect and the most available (for sale). It is a large set to collect. But, you should be able to find them...at least the lower classes.

2) Baden has a lot of medals and some awards to collect. The attractive OZL of note. But there are fewer overall out there to find compared to Bavaria & Prussia.

3) Schaumburg-Lippe is the smallest state of the choices and the smallest of the "set" of awards. Some will be easy to fill, but some of the uber-rare may leave you stuck while you wait for it to be offered for sale. (then what?)

Ultimately, why choose. Collect what you like. You said it yourself, you like Red Eagle..then collect Red Eagles. There is even a book dedicated to Red Eagle and Crown Orders. If you declared that you were collecting Baden (or Shaumburg-Lippe for that matter) and then you posted a Red Eagle, no one is going to say "Hey, I thought you collect Baden...what gives?"

In my experience, most collectors (and myself) reverse engineer what they collect. Meaning...they buy items they like...recognize a pattern...fine tune their future purchases and sell what doesn't fit to buy the items that do "please" them.

It's been said by all collectors in ANY field. "Collect what you like...not what you think will appreciate." Just don't collect Tsingtau groups or flieger guys....THAT'S MY TURF :violent::cheeky: Or, at least let me see what you got. :lol:

I've narrowed down my list of Imperial Medals i want to collect. I already have a decent Austrian collection so I want to set a different area to collect. I've narrowed the list to: Schaumburg-Lippe, Baden, Bavaria & Prussia ( I really like the Red Eagle). Any help would be appreciated.

My vote goes to Prussia, but that's just me and my personal obsession.

My vote goes to Prussia, but that's just me and my personal obsession.

Hear, Hear....collect Prussian.

Now, I have for sale this nice little Prussian Crown Order in a box with..... :shame: <<<angel on shoulder>>> Give it a rest Claudius, nobody wants that cross of yours. Didn't you pull that offer anyway...

I appreciate everyones input. After some thought I have settled on Baden with a little Lippe on the side. Now to find a nice 3 or 4 place Baden medal bar to start my collection... I was really tempted with Prussian. But, the number of fakes out there would surely burn me.

I was really tempted with Prussian. But, the number of fakes out there would surely burn me.

Makes no difference. Baden and Lippe stuff is faked as well. And baden awards are actuually uuuugly... so leave those for me. ;)

Well I've settled on Baden and a little Lippe. I'll have to wait until September because I have to book my flight and pay my registration fee for the OMSA Convention in August. I hope to find one there. I member has also showed my a three place Baden I like. Maybe I can buy it next month. Question: Are there any books that cover Baden ODMs in them? I'll also, have to ask all of you for advice until I get a better understanding of the medals.

In my experience, most collectors (and myself) reverse engineer what they collect. Meaning...they buy items they like...recognize a pattern...fine tune their future purchases and sell what doesn't fit to buy the items that do "please" them.

It's been said by all collectors in ANY field. "Collect what you like...not what you think will appreciate."

Very well said, Claudius. :cheers:

Question: Are there any books that cover Baden ODMs in them?

There's a very good one, unfortunally in German: Volle, Henning: Badens Orden, Ehrenzeichen, Pr?mienmedaillen. Freiburg im Breisgau 1976.

Well I've settled on Baden and a little Lippe. I'll have to wait until September because I have to book my flight and pay my registration fee for the OMSA Convention in August. I hope to find one there. I member has also showed my a three place Baden I like. Maybe I can buy it next month. Question: Are there any books that cover Baden ODMs in them? I'll also, have to ask all of you for advice until I get a better understanding of the medals.

So...you're going to be "Baden with a little Lippe" :rolleyes: (there's a pun in there somewhere but I just can't quite dig that nugget out)

That's great Doc, I look forward to what you find. I don't believe I will be able to make it out to the OMSA show, but I have a good friend going.

Hi,

The best book about Baden medals and Orders is the out of print Henning Volle, Badens Orden Ehrenzeichen Pr?mienmedaillen, Verlag der M?nzenhandlung Sonja Volle, 1976, 188p.

Of course you can buy the following book :

HOLZMANN (August), Badens Orden, Offenbach, Phaleristischer Verlag, 1997, 275 p.

and to finish, the volume 5 of O'CONNOR (N.), Aviation airmen of Imperial Germany and the men who wore them.

Christophe

Hi Doc!

Baden? :unsure: Yuk! :shame: Plainest medals, ugliest ribbons... :sleep:

Come on buddy! Both Prussia and Bavaria have great selections. With Bavaria you could go nuts for years on the Military Merit Order and Crosses alone.

Saxony is also a great choice! But Baden? :P Even Lippe has a rather limited selection...

Anyhoot... It's your dough my friend.

Hi Doc!

Baden? :unsure: Yuk! :shame: Plainest medals, ugliest ribbons... :sleep:

Come on buddy! Both Prussia and Bavaria have great selections. With Bavaria you could go nuts for years on the Military Merit Order and Crosses alone.

Saxony is also a great choice! But Baden? :P Even Lippe has a rather limited selection...

Anyhoot... It's your dough my friend.

Hey francois,

I love Bavarian ODMs I have an MvK 4th Class. I was looking at prices and availablity. Believe me I would love to collect Bavaria. Who knows at the OMSDA Convention I may find a nice Bavarian medal and no Baden. We'll see...

Gentlemen,

Are we talking about a Military Merit Cross of the Bavarian Military Order, 4th class, here?

I thought that there were only three classes to these crosses.

If so, could someone please provide a picture of one of these 4th class crosses?

Thank you and regards,

Wild Card

Hello Riley 1965,

Unless I am mistaken, what you have there is a beautiful example

of the 3rd class cross with swords.

Best wishes,

Wild Card

Thanks!!! I also have the case. But, the elastic band that holds the ribbon is gone :banger: