News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

You are correct of course.

My interest is in the use of that colour of piping by the Luftwaffe Feldgendarmerie prior to them switching to orange. I had never seen an example of either the pale blue or orange on an NCO cap.

I have never seen these pipings on a visor before. That would be something to see!

I have never seen these pipings on a visor before. That would be something to see!

Not convinced they exist Paul. My guess is that Fg within the HG Div would wear white piping to the cap and those in the Field Divs would have green. I think the specific Fg colours would only be on the shoulder straps and as piping to the collar tab.

These guys certainly seem to have a dark colour piping which I suspect is green.

• 2 weeks later...

A very interesting cap. Certainly looks like the paler blue rather than medical like the one attached. Blue also tend to "disappear" when converted to b/w so that would explain the difficulty in seeing any Waffenfarbe in the wartime photo.

However the only references I have seen to the pale blue piping is for the field divisions. The only blue I can find in 1935 is the medical blue which as Paul suggests, could be fading - or of course just a variation in the dye colour. I have lots of variant colours of orangerot on the various pieces of Feldgendarmerie stuff I have so wouldn't be surprised to see colour variants in medical blue.

If a pale blue piped Luft cap does exist then almost certainly an orange would too. The problem will always be identifying what might be a pale blue against a faded or dye variant medical blue and with orange, some Nachrichten brown can have a distinctive orangey hue.

The book I am working on is some way from being finished but I'd really like to tie down definitively whether the colours related to Feldgendarmeerie (pale blue and orange) did exist on visor caps.

Thanks for the comments.

The blue is not faded. Here is a shot from the side. I have two LW medical visors and both have darker blue piping, although I agree that there are different shades of virtually all piping "types". This cap was a direct veteran purchase from a small town in Virginia in 1976. I always thought it was Transport.

Edited by Harrier

Thanks for the comments.

The blue is not faded. Here is a shot from the side. I have two LW medical visors and both have darker blue piping, although I agree that there are different shades of virtually all piping "types". This cap was a direct veteran purchase from a small town in Virginia in 1976. I always thought it was Transport.

Hello!

Please post your LW medical visors to compare the blue piping. :beer:

Alll the best

Nesredep.

Period photos indicate there was a bit of turmoil as the DLV morphed into the Luftwaffe in 1935-36: LW members (officer & enlisted) wearing DLV belt buckles, DLV hats, etc. Who knows, Harrier's visor may have started life as a DLV cap (?)

As promised, I had hoped to post both my LW medical caps tonight so the darker piping could be shown (in comparison to the lighter blue posted earlier). I must apologize, as one of the two is in storage and I can't get to it right now. Here is the one I CAN get to. (The other is in storage because it is the same darker blue and I didn't need two of the same on display.)