News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hello to all,

Had a really nice time at the MAX Show this year. Found this super clean, nine-placer at the show and knew that I had to bring it home with me. Hope you like it.

Best regards,

Tom

Tom,

May I be the first here to say what an excellent medal bar, and a great find. ;)

Best wishes

Matt

Guest Rick Research

Very nice bar for an (E) retread Oberstleutnant/Oberst. :beer:

This is NOT traceable at this point because he was an Invisible Man--

1) not career Reichsheer

2) there is no Roll for the Lippe War Merit Cross to match up against the EH3bX-- all of which HAVE been done and published.

Every single one of the Lippe Crosses remain on their individual signed receipts.

Somebody... someday....

To attempt to track EVERY recipient of an EH3bX who went back into the Wehrmacht (E) based SOLELY on seniority time and the one lone award wouldn't work.

But it says something that I can only find one single person with that pair (and other awards, alas)... indicating that the odds ar spectacularly good to turn him up on the Happy Day when the "LKr" receipts have been transcribed and can be compared.

Any volunteers for a trip to Lippe?

Hi Tom!

Grear Godet medal bar you found! :speechless1::love::love: Congrats! :beer:

When I first saw it here, I also thought that the research on the original owner of the bar could be quite difficult, also considering that he was a re-called old reserve officer.

I particularly like the combination of the SEHO and the LKr... just Great!!!

Somebody has the numbers of how many LKr were awarded in WWI? They must not have been many.... :whistle:

Ciao,

Claudio

Thanks Christophe!

Interesting... I thought that much less LKr were actually awarded, considering the size of the "Fürstentum", about 150'000 inhabitants in 1910 (see http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lippe_(Land) ).

But of course many of these crosses were awarded to "Foreigners" (Prussians, etc.).

Ciao,

Claudio

Thanks to all for the nice comments.:cheers:

Yes, according to the information on Dave Danner's wonderful website: 18,374 Lippe-Detmold KVK2s were awarded with combatant ribbon and 1,116 with a non-combatant ribbon. Still a rather small number when you consider the number of Prussian EK2s awarded or even some of the other German States EK2 equivalents.

http://home.att.net/~david.danner/militaria/lippe-detmold.htm

As Rick mentioned, though, I think the Lippe-Detmold KVK2 found in combination with the Ernestine House Order is very, very scarce indeed. I really think that this bar will be indentifiable someday. Whether or not it is, I still feel very privileged to be the custodian of this piece of history.

Best regards,

Tom

Guest Rick Research

How is the Ernestine attached? It is extremely well done-- hard to mount these since they were so much taller than other awards. Is the suspension ring folded DOWN and sewn in under the crown, or removed and they sewed it in without a ring?

Usually an odd pairing like this suggest SOMETHING-- some division which shared regiments from the two places.. but not here. This is a very much personal duo, almost certainly unique to whoever the exact recipient was.

It's a peach. :cheers:

How is the Ernestine attached? It is extremely well done-- hard to mount these since they were so much taller than other awards. Is the suspension ring folded DOWN and sewn in under the crown, or removed and they sewed it in without a ring?

Usually an odd pairing like this suggest SOMETHING-- some division which shared regiments from the two places.. but not here. This is a very much personal duo, almost certainly unique to whoever the exact recipient was.

It's a peach. :cheers:

Hello Rick,

Ed Maroli made the same exact comment about how nicely the Ernestine House Order was attached on this bar. I guess that is why Gebrüder Godet was the premier medal bar assembler. Their bars are absolutely incredible when it comes to the quality of workmanship.:jumping:

The suspension ring is removed on the Ernestine House Order and there are numerous passes of heavy thread through the hole where the ring once was, making this the upper tie-down point. The second tie-down point is immediately below the crown. The Order is still being held tightly in place.

Thank you so very much for sharing your insight about this medal bar.:beer:

Best regards,

Tom

Hi Tom,

Congrats for your purchase, very nice medal bar with rare combo

Do you find an hallmark on the EH3bX. It can help to know if it came from Saxe Coburg, Altenburg or Meiningen. Thanks

Christophe

Hello Christophe,

Sorry for the delay in responding to your inquiry.

I have looked at all of the areas that are visible on this Order and I have been unable to locate a maker mark. I figured, if anywhere, a marking would be on the rim of the lower cross arm, but no such luck. Any idea where I might look for a marking? Maybe these were seldom, if ever, marked? If it would be located somewhere on the reverse, I'm afraid I'll just have to abandon the search as the piece is securely fastened and I would never risk damaging the bar in the hope of finding a maker mark.

I know very little about this particular Order. Who are the known makers of these? Is there any way to determine the maker by the details of the center medallion, swords, lions, etc?

If you, or anyone else, can determine the maker by seeing closeups of the details, let me know and I will post some better pictures.

Thank you for any and all assistance!

Best regards,

Tom

Edited by tyanacek

Hi,

Don't worry. I am a fanatic of the hallmark that's all. usually the hallmarks are on the arm, like on the Hohenzollern knight cross. If it is an Altenburg knight cross you would probably find the following hallmark : EE. So if there is nothing your knight cross is probably from Saxe Coburg Gotha or Saxe Meiningen.

Why I ask that ? If your cross is from Altenburg, like there are less crosses awarded that two others it would be, noteasy, but possible with Lippe rolls, trying to identify this very nice medal bar. :catjava:

Christophe

Edited by Deruelle

Hello Christophe and Vince,

Thank you both, so much, for the information.:cheers:

Wow! I see that Bury & Leonhardt of Hanau was the court jeweler that produced the Breast Star of the Ernestine House Order with Swords and Diamonds for Sovereigns. I wouldn't mind having one of those!:love: Shown on Andreas Schulze-Ising's wonderful site:

http://www.medalnet....f_Ernestine.htm

Best regards,

Tom

Edited by tyanacek

Hi Tom,

Beautiful medal bar congratulations...also congratulations on your book. Purchased it and love it thanks heaps.

Phil

Aussie

Hi Phil,

Thank you so much for your kind words.:cheers: And thank you for purchasing a copy of my book. I'm glad to hear that you like it.

Best regards,

Tom

If it is an Altenburg knight cross you would probably find the following hallmark : EE. So if there is nothing your knight cross is probably from Saxe Coburg Gotha or Saxe Meiningen.Christophe

Hello Christophe,

Do you happen to know the name of the court jeweler that used the 'EE' marking?

Thank you & best regards,

Tom