News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Stuff you don't see everyday

Erik,

I would still disagree with you.

From these photos you can clearly see a separation of the letter's bottoms. The enamel that goes over that space is very thin and is prone to chipping. This is also evident on the Red Star at the top of the tower that is also missing.

Rusty.

You are probably right Rusty.

I do not have much experience with these, this is the fist and only one I have ever owned. But I am quite stubborn and not completely convinced.

I realise the first pictures I posted were quite bad so here are two more for everyone.

Happy collecting

Erik

You are probably right Rusty.

I do not have much experience with these, this is the fist and only one I have ever owned. But I am quite stubborn and not completely convinced.

I realise the first pictures I posted were quite bad so here are two more for everyone.

Happy collecting

Erik

I believe Erik is correct. These look like die breaks.

Here is an interesting modification to an Order of the Patriotic War 2cl, with a classic looking German pin and catch. Maybe a repair job while in Germany after the war.

[attachmentid=22940]

That is very cool. I've never seen a Soviet award like that.

Here is an interesting modification to an Order of the Patriotic War 2cl, with a classic looking German pin and catch. Maybe a repair job while in Germany after the war.

That is tres cool! I remember being outbid on that one.. . :ninja:

Dave

Here are two Red Banners to the same recipient. Why did he convert both to screwback, then unconvert them? Hopefully research will tell us!

Dave

You got a very nice group there.

If I am to guess... I would think that he cut them off after leaving the army. Maybe he did not want to make holes in his clothes. :D

Here are two more medals that at some point lost their original rings. One Belgrade and one Odessa.

/Erik

How about this one? The medaillon seems to be double-punched(?) and is noticable thicker, if you look from this perspective. The medaillon is 2mm thick on the top and others, i have checked (ealier and later ones) have medaillons up to 1,5mm thick. There also is a seam in the middle of the edge of the medaillon. I don?t know, if its that unusual, but i thought, its interesting.

Edited by Gerd Becker

I was cleaning my display cases this morning and took out this one to scan. It's a real beaut and one of my favorites!

This guy sure spent a lot of time cleaning his medal and then spent more time re-engraving the details on it.

Veeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrryyyyyyyyyyyyyy nice one Dave. :jumping::jumping:

Though Mongolian rather than russian, this guy also spent quite some time making his medal good as new again.

Edited by vatjan

• 1 month later...