News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hello Everyone,

I just got this Oldenberg Cross 2nd class in on Friday and wanted to show it off.

It's not the most impressive medal ever but I like it all the same.

For those not familiar with this medal here is a little information.

The Oldenberg Cross was founded by Grand Duke Friedrich August on 24 September, 1914 for outstanding merit. This could be for merit at the front or at home. The ribbon shown on the specimen below is for combatants. The non-combatant ribbons have the ribbon colours reversed.

Regards

Brian

Edited by Brian Wolfe

I just realized that the ribbon is not showing well on the above photos due to the cross being on a stand.

Here is the ribbon for the combatants cross, the non-combatant's ribbons being reversed.

If any of the members have the non-combatant's ribbon please feel free to post it here for future reference for members who might be doing a look up on the Oldenberg Cross.

Otherwise I'll do so when I get one, which might take a while.

Regards

Brian

Thanks for helping me "round out" the post.

Regards

Brian

Hi Brian,

Happy to help out. Great piece you found... thanks for sharing. It's one I'd like to get some day along with the 1st class.beer.gif

I found what I think is a better pic of the ribbon and just popped that one in place of the other.

Dancheers.gif

Now you need one of these. Instituted in September, 1918 for front line service. I don't know whether the stripes are pink from fading or it's from an odd lot of ribbon, but it seems original to the award.

and, of course,

Great pieces Tom... showing honest age and wear... which means if they could only talk the tales they could tell.jumping.gifjumping.gif Much better than pieces that stayed on shelves in a store or in a drawer after award as those may only have seen an occassional parade or special occassion.

Thanks for sharing!beer.gif

Dancheers.gif

Hi Brian,

just a small correction........ it is Oldenburg , not Oldenberg... :whistle::beer:

cheers

Heiko

Hi Heiko,

Oops, you are correct, of course. It was a typo. I grew up in a"burg" so I'm surprised that I made that error. :blush:

Regards

Brian

• 1 month later...

Hello Everyone,

Funny, just when I thought that having both the 1st and 2nd class cross in my collection was all I would or could get along comes the membership with examples like the 2nd class with the clasp. The search continues.

I do have a question. If the recipient of the 2nd and then a 1st class were to be awarded a subsequent 1st class cross what would the device look like, or is this just something that didn't exist?

Regards

Brian

Hello Everyone,

I thought I'd show both of my crosses together here.

The 1st Class "looks" a lot larger than the 2nd Class in the photo mainly due to the different depths of field caused by the 1st Class resting on its pin. The 1st Class is a bit larger though but not as much as it would appear in this image.

Regards

Brian

Hello Everyone,

Funny, just when I thought that having both the 1st and 2nd class cross in my collection was all I would or could get along comes the membership with examples like the 2nd class with the clasp. The search continues.

Regards

Brian

You'll need one of these too.

• 3 years later...