News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Gordon,

Thanks for the information and peek into cultural differences. Just curious... how would this lady have been addressed in everyday social settings, say while shopping or at the grocer? At least formally, it appears, she "gave up" her own identity and became known strictly by her husband's. Is this still done?

Generally my experience was that in an informal setting (IE talking to the grocer) she would have been known by her original first name. There were also many pet names or nicknames thrown into the mix. The "wife of" title was simply a very formal and traditional way of adressing her - this tradition held over from the middle ages - my clan is Robertson from - "Son of Robert"... anyhow - to adress her as "mam" or "miss" during the HUPR she would have been formally adressed as "elvtarsno" (Miss / Mrs Comrade)

Just aside - wanna tripple your money on the blank document??? :cheeky:

Edited by hunyadi

Charles,

Thanks for the explanation; good information to have when attempting to decipher these gems. And thanks for your kind offer :D, but my unreasonable fetish for the Rakosi seal just won't let me part with it (I really need help :speechless:).

Edited by Greg Collins

Greg,

To answer your question about "is this still done" the answer is yes. One very obvious use of this form of address is on tomb stones in cemeteries. If you visit a cemetery in Budapest you will find that they have family plots and those who have been buried recently still use this naming convention.

Regards,

Gordon

• 1 month later...

A few documents from the Rakosi era that I recently received... the first is a soldier's book belonging to Pal Wagner and begun in 1953. I'm showing the cover and the first inside pages; the remaining pages are nearly all written on and many are stamped. If you want to see any of these pages, just ask.

post-7004-028682400 1288831624_thumb.jpg

Inside cover and page 1...

#1 - name

#2 - date of birth

#3 - place of service, date of entry

#4 - mothers name

#5 - branch of service

#6 - unit

#7 - rank

#8 - a/b Method of service

#9 - assignment

#10 - (Important!) Political Party

#11 - Schooling (final level)

#12 - a/b civilian service

#13 - work record

#14 - previous military service (when, where, w/ who) - have yet to find one that served in the German army...

#15 - short statement about your service - the one I'm looking at entered the Honved in 1942 served until April of 1945 and then (to my surprise!!) served in the Border Guard in 1945 after the war! (very unique!) this is also the section where they stamped (1960's 1970's 1980's) their complete release from military conscription or reserve duty

#16 - living place in the military

#17 - living place outside the military

#18 - examinations of proficiency etc..

#19 - certifications

#20 - special certifications

I may not have these entries completely correct to the terminology - but its really close

I like Piroska as well - she's a looker - and she studied my "old" profession as an Architect

Edited by hunyadi

• 9 months later...

I like documents a lot too (although I collect pre 1945, especially the vitez order) I have a soft spot for early Party Documents.

Here are mine from 1945/46.

The Red booklet is interesting as it was made out to a vitez - the title still being named at that time - clearly not a communist title :)

The two booklet to the right are end of the 40s and 1950 respectively but rare so I kept them as well....

Regards, Erik

Posted · Hidden by erikscollectables, September 4, 2011 - No reason given
    Hidden by erikscollectables, September 4, 2011 - No reason given

The two booklet to the right are end of the 40s and 1950 respectively but rare so I kept them as well....

Forgot to mention the top right one is the Hungarian - Russian Friendship group membership card, 1950

And the one below the National Farmers association membership card from 1950