News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Imperial Group with TR L.S. & Bulgarian Medal

Hello Everyone,

This Imperial German Medal group consists of the 1914 EK2, 1914/18 Honour Cross, the 25 Year Membership Medal and a Bulgarian Merit Medal 3rd class.

The ribbons all look "good" and are not something that was thrown on last week. I know that Bulgaria played an improtant role in the beginning of the First World War in that the conflict pretty well started there. The dealer listed this Bulgarian Medal as a Second World War issue. However, I have found during my research that this medal was issued from 1887 until the death of Ferbinand I in 1918. There was different medal issued after 1918. If my research is correct then would this mean that the recipient served in that area of the war (Bulgaria)? If the group is authentic then the recipient saw a lot of service including WWI and as a member of the party for 25 years.

What are the opinions of the members regarding this group?

Regards

Brian

Thanks, I thought it unusual as well, so I made the purchase.

That's usually where I start to go wrong. 2014.gif

Thanks again.

Brian

An interesting group, congratulations!

Ferdinand abdicated in 1918, medals with his effigy supposedly were issued as late as 1921. This medal has the Bulgarian czarist crown so issued from either 1900 or 1908----depending on which 'expert' you consult. It is bronze or the third class but with crown, so the 5th grade of a 6 rank merit medal award system. Perhaps most useful, it has the civil ribbon---ribbon of the Order of St. Alexander. This award often compensated long serving enlisted men, government workers [like teachers with 15-20 years service], junior technical experts, & so on. Foreigners most often would get such a medal if members of a visiting or liaising group worthy of some sort of low level recognition.

Ferdinand visited Germany often and lived in Coburg while in 'exile' until his death in 1944. He often awarded merit medals as a sign of appreciation for personal services [sometimes in lieu of a tip] to people ranging in rank from railway station master to personal servants. It seems clear that he continued this practice on a limited level while in 'exile'.

You will find further information [coinages, makers, etc.] in Petrov, Denkov or similar specialized Bulgarian works. Books in the $15-$50 price range are only in Bulgarian, English and Bulgarian versions cost from $90-$200 and may be found on eBay.

Nice bar, and all is said regarding the Bulgarian medal. I think it might well be a pre-WW1 issue due to the peace time ribbon. They were given to EMs or NCOs. Some people say Ferdinand gave them mostly to cute looking guys... :whistle:

Something to add about the 3rd Reich award - that is not 25 years in the NS party, but 25 years in German state service. Given to officials, teachers, workers in state service and so on.

25 years in NSDAP (1920 to 1945) is somewhat scarcer. :cheeky:

I know that Bulgaria played an improtant role in the beginning of the First World War in that the conflict pretty well started there.

This is news to me what with the Serbs taking the rap all these years. :rolleyes:

This is news to me what with the Serbs taking the rap all these years. :rolleyes:

Hi Don

This is probably news to most as my statement was not very accurate. :unsure:

I was thinking more of the geographical area compaired to the Western Front or even the Eastern Front (Russia) as thought by most people.

Just to set the record straight or as straight as I will get it.

After the Bulkan Wars Serbia and a few other nations were in control of lands thought by Bulgaria to belong to Bulgaria. Though Bulgaria did not get involved in the War at first they did come in on the side of Germany, Austria-Hungary and the Ottoman Empire, declairing war on Serbia in October 1915. Of course the British, French and their allies then declaired war on Bulgaria.

Regards

Brian