News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Wasn't sure whether to post this here or in the modelling section but as there is no modelling involved ( these are already assembled and pre-painted)and these are aimed at a collectors market, I decided to post here.

For the last few months I have been working in an advisory capacity with a Swiss firm who are about to launch a series of model submarines (from all the major WW2 powers, not just German).

Today, I received a sample of the launch model, Priens U-47. These are die cast metal, not plastic, so are pretty robust. Although die cast metal has limitations regarding the level of detail than can be provided, I think they have done a great job. For those who want a greater degree of realism it would be simple enough to add rigging and some weathering, rust staining etc.These would make super desk ornaments. Others still to come include boats of the great aces like Lüth and Topp.

post-101-070463300 1287595368_thumb.jpg

Very nice and very interesting, Gordon! I'm glad they consulted you for the design.

If these do well, do you think the company might produce some other vessels like Graf Spee, or even a minesweeper vessel?:rolleyes:

Cheers.

---Norm

Looks great! jumping.gifjumping.gif What is the size... always hard to tell in pics without a reference. Any idea on pricing? How will one be able to order them?

Dan cheers.gif

Hi Dan,

Its around 29cm ( about 11.5 inches).

I have seen the CAD images for the first six in the series ( U-47, U-556, U-2540, USS Archerfish, I-400 and the giant French Surcouf which had the massive twin 20cm gun turret in front of the conning tower). The box had a little blurb on the back in numerous languages including English so I'm sure they will be available everywhere eventually but I think they'll be launched in the German speaking countries first ( Germany , Austria, Switzerland etc).

Not sure of the cost etc as my involvement was in chosing the boats to be included in the series and assisting with technical data, finding photos etc and writing up the text for the little info leaflet that comes with each one. I don't know much about the "business" side of it but they've been good at keeping me informed so I'll pass on more info as I get it. Around 50% of the series will consist of German U-Boats, everything from the small Type II Coastal craft, to the Type IX Monsun Boats, Minelayers Flak Boats and Milch Kuh supply boats. The U-Boat Archiv are supporting the series too.

Many thanks for the additional info on these. Can't wait to hear more, see more pics and find out prices. Hoping they're reasonable enough that one could collect the entire series. Would make one heck of a nice display with some appropriate awards and pictures.jumping.gifjumping.gif

Many thanks! beer.gif

Dan cheers.gif

Very nice and very interesting, Gordon! I'm glad they consulted you for the design.

If these do well, do you think the company might produce some other vessels like Graf Spee, or even a minesweeper vessel?:rolleyes:

Cheers.

---Norm

Or perhaps a Hilfskreuzer??? :whistle:

I would certainly like to purchase one of the U-Boats though.

Cheers,Martin.

post-1906-080878500 1287855732_thumb.jpg

Edited by Martin W

Level of detail is quite good for cast metal. Not sure why the manufacturers didn't do the darker grey on the deck which was shown on the CAD model.

Nice model Gordon. I had always hoped that some one would manufacture a set of conning tower configurations in cast metal. Not even the whole boat but just the conning tower area.

Richard

Spoke with the manufacturers. They found that the very dark grey decks made the drainage slots virtually inivisible and as this dark grey finish was in reality soon scoured off by salt water anyway, they preferred the appearance with the slots more visible. I tend to agree with them.

I may add rigging and some weathering etc to mine just to see how much it improves it.

• 2 months later...
    • 3 months later...

I just been sucscribing to the Atlas Editions Battleship Collection & they are VERY well worth collecting. This U -boat looks like a typical model from thier range of models. I hope they come to the U.K.

I just been sucscribing to the Atlas Editions Battleship Collection & they are VERY well worth collecting. This U -boat looks like a typical model from thier range of models. I hope they come to the U.K.

I heard from them a couple of weeks back that they had completed their market testing and were pleased with the results ( with this kind of product it usually means a limited launch over a restricted geographical area)and so the "real" launch should be imminent.

I will try to find out if/when they plan a UK launch.

I heard from them a couple of weeks back that they had completed their market testing and were pleased with the results ( with this kind of product it usually means a limited launch over a restricted geographical area)and so the "real" launch should be imminent.

I will try to find out if/when they plan a UK launch.

Please don't forget those collectors who live on the other side of the "pond". :) I too would like to purchase one of these when they become available.

Too bad you can't link this site to the manufacturer to see that there is a market/demand for quality items such as the one you displayed.

Best Regards,

JustinG