News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

I have this nice Luftwaffe Ribbon bar from someone that had WWI and WWII service career.

Can anyone work out the service career of this person, age rank and possibly an ID?

Thanks in advance.

Dear Alan,

I would guess that the original wearer of this ribbon bar would have served 1914-1918, left service and rejoined in the Luftwaffe 1935-1936.

Given that the Wurttemberg Military Merit ribbon has no device I would say that this represents the Military Merit Medal and therefore this was not an Officer's bar.

I hope this is of some help to you.

Best wishes

Matt

Hi

Agreed with Matt, the second ribbon is for the Wurttemberg silver military medal (like there is no wreath on it).

A brave man who received medal from Wurttemberg, Bulgaria and Ottoman.

Christophe

Hi Matt and Christophe,

Thanks for your responses.

Do you think when he came back into service before 1938 he would have held some sort of rank?

His array of medals are quite impressive. Would the Bulgarian medal have been the enamelled type?

I have been trying to guess an age for this guy and am thinking his birthday could have been around the tern of the century possibly?

Regards.

Alan.

Agree this is an enlisted man's bar. Thus, Bulgarian ribbon probably represents an [unenameled] Military Bravery Order 4th [silver] or 6th [bronze] class 'bravery cross'; much less likely a Military Merit Order silver cross or even less likely, a Military Merit Order silver cross with crown on bravery ribbon.

Hi,

I presume that our man has been recalled to duty after 1935. About age I have no idea. Probably that our man was born between 1890 to 1900. He probably made only the end of the war. There is no free corps insignia or Weimar medal on his ribbon bar.So he's doing nothing with paramilitary unit after WW1

Christophe

No I think he probably planned some quiet time after WWI, he still applied for his honour cross though '34.

Maybes he was called up mid 30's for his previous military experience? I can't imagine him being a flyer though. He would be at least late 30's early 40's when WWII broke out.