News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Greek Victory Medals

• 2 years later...
    • 2 weeks later...

Hello Rob,

Your item is an unofficial type 2 (Laslo classification). Of interest is the main planchet appears to be of a different composition than that of the unique suspender. This is most noticeable in the reverse pictures. It also looks like someone has cleaned just the main planchet but not the suspender. Irrespective of that it is an unofficial type 2. They have been seen in a variety of different finishes and with planchet variations that are extremely minor so I wouldn't read into that too much.

Things to look at would be gently cleaning both the obverse of the suspender to remove the verdigris in between the roundels, as well as making some attempt to remove/reduce/clean the verdigris spot on the reverse.

As this type of unofficial medal has been attributed to French manufacture I would recommend that you replace the ribbon with some french produced silk ribbon as then it would be true to type.

A nice example in relatively good condition.

Regards from Australia,
    Rob

• 7 months later...
    On 28/08/2021 at 09:35, RobW said:

Hello Rob,

Your item is an unofficial type 2 (Laslo classification). Of interest is the main planchet appears to be of a different composition than that of the unique suspender. This is most noticeable in the reverse pictures. It also looks like someone has cleaned just the main planchet but not the suspender. Irrespective of that it is an unofficial type 2. They have been seen in a variety of different finishes and with planchet variations that are extremely minor so I wouldn't read into that too much.

Things to look at would be gently cleaning both the obverse of the suspender to remove the verdigris in between the roundels, as well as making some attempt to remove/reduce/clean the verdigris spot on the reverse.

As this type of unofficial medal has been attributed to French manufacture I would recommend that you replace the ribbon with some french produced silk ribbon as then it would be true to type.

A nice example in relatively good condition.

Regards from Australia,
    Rob

Many thanks Rob, much appreciated

• 4 months later...

hello gentlemen, I am new to this group but I have been following you for some time.
    I wanted your opinion on this Greek victory medal, not having specific books available.
    I think the ribbon is not original. Thanks for your help.

greetings, Luigi

foto1.jpg

foto2.jpg

foto3.jpg

foto4.jpg

foto5.jpg

21 hours ago, Maraiuta said:

Thanks for the reply Graham. And what do you think of the ribbon? It feels quite stiff to the touch for silk. In addition to appearing also with bright colors.

The ribbon is not original.

13 hours ago, graham said:

Have you tried a UV test on it?

no, I'm not sure I have the right lamp.
    But by feeling, since the ribbon seems "hard" and too new, I am more inclined to think that it is not original, rather than that it is.
    I was wondering if "on sight" it was possible for you experts to determine if it is original or not.

since you tell me about uv lamp, what should i see if the ribbon is original? Do you have any examples in your possession that you can share?

greetings, Luigi

2 hours ago, Ura87 said:

The ribbon is not original.

Thanks Ura87.

• 3 weeks later...