News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Greek Victory Medals

• 2 months later...
    • 2 months later...
    • 8 months later...
    On 07/08/2018 at 8:19 AM, Zsebora said:

Dear all,

Could you please help confirming what type this medal is? Official, unofficial, copy? 

I am considering purchasing it.

Thanks a lot!

Capture1.JPG

Capture2.JPG

No, it's an Unofficial Type 2. without the sculptor's signature.

Note the absence of "O" on the back of the medal. Possibly made in France
    It's a very hard medal to find I consider Rare.   A ribbon is invaluable.

Lambert 

13 hours ago, lambert said:

No, it's an Unofficial Type 2. without the sculptor's signature.

Note the absence of "O" on the back of the medal. Possibly made in France
    It's a very hard medal to find I consider Rare.   A ribbon is invaluable.

Lambert 

Hi,

Thanks a lot. I am not an expert in interallied vic medals, so cannot judge the difference of the many manufacturers and types, even within the specific country versions. I am a collector of Kuk decorations as being Hungarian and when took it to my mind to acquire the most notable medals of the "enemy" I came to be more and more excited about these medals. 

So being rare what does it mean exactly, as an unofficial medal (which I have always considered 2nd rate) it can be more valuable and/or expensive than an official one?O.o

Thank you in advance.

Gábor

Hi Gábor..

Not necessarily, although it is "rare" it is not an official medal, so price quotation may not mean it is more coveted. I always give more value to the OFFICIAL medal. But for who Collects the VICs (Victory Medals), (not a very large group) These medals can be quite interesting. I what I think.

Best Regards

Lambert 

My thoughts,

The door was slightly cracked open by others, but Alexander Laslo and myself (James Michels)  have open the door a little wider into collecting Vic’s by our books, but like an iceberg the books are just the tip of it.  Sometimes missed in a discussion is the fact that most European Victory Medals are not fully researched yet.  Until we find when each of the known official and unofficial medal were made, and by whom, the story remain open with more to come.

In my study of the American Victory Medal I found these medals were authorized several time by the U.S. Government to have it re-manufactured, and I found there were slight different between the first made in 1920 and the last ones made around 2003.

So Zsebora, going back to the Greek missing “O”, I ask is there any chance of the missing “O”  turning out be a late issue in the future. If it turns out as a no, it is still a hard find or rare medal to some serious collectors.   

Edited by johnnymac

• 8 months later...
    On 06/06/2017 at 18:33, oliver860 said:

Hello! 

Who collectors have Unofficial type 3 - without the name Henri Nocq 

and with "O" on the reverse?

Show the photo, please!

Regards

Hello Oliver,
    The unofficial type 3 (Alex Laslo listing) doest exist but they are extremely rare.  I can confirm the details listed that they don't have the name Henri Nocq on the obverse but do have the 'O' on the reverse.

Due to a variety of reasons I no longer post items from my collection here on GMIC but can confirm this variety does exist.

I hope this is of some use.

Regards,
    Rob

Edited by RobW
    Typo

Most likely, would be cheaper to buy a complete one than pay for restoration.  Genuine ones now range from $80-$150--you can get a not bad copy for around $25 

On 10/05/2019 at 13:11, Trajan said:

Any comments on this one? I am lacking a Greek version, and was thinking of buying this as a place holder and getting the clasp restored...

TIA,

Trajan

Hello Trajan,

I would echo the comments above about waiting and obtaining an official one that is complete.  Unless you can find a really skilled jeweller to re-make the unique greek style suspender you would be better off waiting to obtain a complete piece.  The Greek vics are not that uncommon and appear regularly for modest prices.

Regards,
    Rob

• 2 months later...

Oliver860,

At first glance it looked like an Unofficial Type 1, as classified in the book 'World War 1 Victory Medals' by James P. Michels Jr. (jonnymac on this forum). But looking at it a little closer there seems to be too many differences, so in my opinion I do not think it is an original. Below is my 'Unoffical Type 1' for comparison.

0.thumb.jpg.b1a1943b71c97ae32a028fbed8d528ba.jpg

1.thumb.jpg.35cddc70e76c6e03694906fbe91dda85.jpg

Regards,

Graham

Oliver - I think your medal is a perfectly good original Unofficial Type 1. Graham - I think the differences that you point to are just the effect of different lighting and wear.

Bill

18 часов назад Билко сказал:

Оливер-я думаю, что ваша медаль-совершенно хороший оригинальный неофициальный Тип 1. Грэм-Я думаю, что различия, на которые вы указываете, - это просто эффект различного освещения и износа.

Законопроект

Спасибо! Я с вами полностью согласен!