News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

THE SOVIET QUIZ - 2011 - QUIZ CLOSED

• Replies 1.1k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Correct UB6365 !! :jumping:

Fyodor Legkoshur was the bearer of the Hitler Banner during the Victory Parade (in fact, the Pole without the banner itself).

He did not want even to touch it, but was told it was a special honour and form of recognition.

Well done !!

Tour turn, now !! ;)

Ch.

Scoreboard update!

19 points - JimZ

15 points - Harvey

10 points - Hauptmann

8 points - Christophe

6 points - UB6365

5 points - Gunner 1

3 points - Valter

2 points - kapten_windu

1 point - Tachel

Question 69 goes to UB6365. :beer:

Jim :cheers:

I think that we should institute a rule for this quiz that all names used in questions must be shown as they are in the Russian language. This last question by Christophe illustrates the problem in using transliterated Russian names. The Russian name of the correct answer to the quiz is 'Фёдор Антонович Легкошкур'. Christophe transliterated the name as 'Fyodor Legkoshur'; UB6365 transliterated it as 'Feodor Antonovich Legkoshkur', whereas the Library of Congress transliteration would be 'Fedor Antonovich Legkoshkur.' These various transliterations, especially when the quiz participants speak different languages, can cause definite confusion when trying to look up names on the Internet, whereas the Russian name 'Фёдор' would have let everyone know exactly what the person's name actually is.

Regards, Gunner 1

General Andrei Andreevich Vlasov

Former Soviet General who formed and commanded the Russian Liberation Army

His men fought their last battle to obtain Allied lines which they eventually did, but Vlasov and many of his men were later turned over to the Soviet Army

Iuri Petrovich Vlasov is the Olympic weightlifter

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrey_Vlasov

:banger: The olympic hint was not helpful to me and a total distraction as it suggested that Vlasov was an athlete! Apart from the common surname what other link is there?? I was looking for olympic athletes who were not champions and to whom some sort of political or other tragedy happened. The reference to troops came after I had spent time searching and I was not interested in starting another search with such limited information. And its not like I did not know Andrei Vlasov!!!

Nevertheless, I guess its well done to Gunner 1 but we'll wait for UB6365 to confirm the correct reply.

Scoreboard update!

19 points - JimZ

15 points - Harvey

10 points - Hauptmann

8 points - Christophe

6 points - UB6365

6 points - Gunner 1

3 points - Valter

2 points - kapten_windu

1 point - Tachel

Question 70 goes to Gunner 1. :beer:

Gentlemen, a general comment - in terms of the hints please try to give hints that help. There have been few questions where the hints were irrelevant to the question or at so much of an angle to the general direction that these have been rather frustrating to some - including myself.

Also, and this is a comment that is not referring to anyone in particular, please remember that for many of the members, English is not a first language. The more we try to complicate hints in a language that may not be our first language, the more frustrating it can be for those who are trying to understand a language that is not their first one either.

Gunner, re your previous comment, names are some times bastardised when transliterated into English! However, on the other hand not everyone understands the cyrillic alphabet. Whereas nobody stops you from including the proper Russian name in the reply, and I agree that is to be encouraged, the transliterated name should also be used for all those who cannot read the cyrillic alphabet.

Well done on your last victory!

Jim :cheers:

Question #70:

My grandfather was murdered by the Communists in 1918. I was killed by the Germans, but they never knew who I was; even Pravda did not know my name. Books, poems, and plays have been written about me; schools, streets and an asteroid have been named for me - even a tank regiment in the East German army.

Who am I?

Who was my grandfather?

Why am I famous?

ub6365: I will give you the point but the fact that she became famous was not that she received the Hero of the Soviet Union (that was awarded posthumously a couple of months after her death when she was already famous) or because she was a partisan; rather it was because she would not give the Germans any information after her capture, not even her true name, telling them she was 'Tania', and because she defied the Germans even as she was being hanged.

I would also mention that her younger brother, Aleksandr Kosmodemianski was also awarded a posthumous HSU.

Gunner 1