News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

THE SOVIET QUIZ - 2011 - QUIZ CLOSED

• Replies 1.1k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi well done UB,

Try to curtail the replies to one post when its a multipart quesion - unless you are adding additional background info, sometimes, other members may reply at the same time and that could cause problems as to who gave the first correct reply!

But very good. Your answer is indeed correct. The subordiante was Vladimir Putin whom he calls a "war criminal" as a result of actions in the Chechniya conflict. I am considering this as part of the answer as you posted the wiki link where it says this.

The point is yours, as is the next question. Well done.

Jim :cheers:

Scoreboard update!

20 points - JimZ

15 points - Harvey

10 points - Hauptmann

9 points - UB6365

8 points - Christophe

8 points - Gunner 1

3 points - Valter

2 points - kapten_windu

1 point - Tachel

Question 76 is in the hands of UB6365.

Question # 76.

I was a member of political organization in SU, named after V.I.Lenin. Our members were awarded with orders and medals during WW2. But only 4 members became HSU during WW2. I was awarded with this highest award during wartime, 3 others - after...

(I killed 78 Germans, destroyed two railway bridges and 12 roads, two warehouses, and 10 trucks with ammunition.)

Who am I and what list I belong to?

Scoreboard update!

Hauptmann gets the last question and therefore asks the next one!

20 points - JimZ

15 points - Harvey

11 points - Hauptmann

9 points - UB6365

8 points - Christophe

8 points - Gunner 1

3 points - Valter

2 points - kapten_windu

1 point - Tachel

Question 77 next!!!! :jumping:

Question #77:

I was a journalist and writer. I come from a family with musical talents. I'm related to the commander of a German POW camp. I'm also related to a surgeon who was the personal physician to a very high member of the Soviet government. I was rather well known in the DDR and was given an award by the DDR after my death.

Who was I?

What am I most famous for?

What award was I given after my death?

Who was my relative the surgeon personal physician to?

Name the relative who was commander of a German POW camp?

Dan :cheers:

Clue #1: I'm Jewish and my most famous writing has to do with what we went through during the war.

Clue #2: My second cousin who was commander of the German POW camp was also Jewish. When you figure this out, it will all become clear as crazy as this sounds.

I have asked Hauptmann to set some other clues without getting into the question of "Jewish" being a nationality as well as a religion. We've discussed this once and I do not want us to get into that again. Not here please!

Lets wait for some more hints from Hauptmann and then we'll attack the question by finding the answer.

This promises to be interesting!

Sorry... just got your two posts so didn't have a chance to answer the first... but doesn't matter... you are correct on the main part of the question... but you now have to finish it. Gents, lets give him a chance to finish this one up. :beer:

Victor Klemperer is famous for his diaries - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victor_Klemperer .

In 1995, Victor Klemperer was posthumously awarded the Geschwister-Scholl-Preis for his 1933-1945 diaries (Geschwister-> sisters).

His relative was personal physician to V.I.Lenin.

Werner Kemperer was best known for his role as the Col. Wilhelm Klink on the comedy series "Hogan's Heroes". POW camp-> STALAG 13.

Scoreboard update!

UB6365 gets the last question breaking away from Christophe and Gunner 1

20 points - JimZ

15 points - Harvey

11 points - Hauptmann

10 points - UB6365

8 points - Christophe

8 points - Gunner 1

3 points - Valter

2 points - kapten_windu

1 point - Tachel

Question 78 above!!!! :jumping:

I would suggest Pavel Sudoplatov, a Russian spymaster, who was involved in the assasinations of Leon Trotsky and Yevhen Konovalets.

Seems to tick the right boxes in terms of the hints that you gave...joined Cheka at the age of 14, served 15 years in prison and reached the rank of Lt General. Had my eye on him already with the big opponents hint as Trotsky did come to mind....however I cannot make the Andrew connection.

Scoreboard update!

21 points - JimZ

15 points - Harvey

11 points - Hauptmann

10 points - UB6365

8 points - Christophe

8 points - Gunner 1

3 points - Valter

2 points - kapten_windu

1 point - Tachel

Question 79 to follow soon!!!