News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

THE SOVIET QUIZ - 2011 - QUIZ CLOSED

Question :

I am the Order of Victory. But, where am I located ?

Name of the monument, and city...

It's in the Museum of the Great Patriotic War, underneath the statue of Mother Motherland, in Kiev, Ukraine.

Edited by Harvey

• Replies 1.1k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Harvey,

Perfect answer !! ;)

It is Rodina Mat in Kiev.

I was there last week-end for the first time, and visited the GPW Museum underneath. Interesting place, even if all the orders displayed are copies...

Your turn, now !!

Cheers.

Ch.

After Christophe's new question the score now is as follows: :jumping:

12 points - JimZ

9 points - Harvey

7 points - Hauptmann

3 points - Valter

2 point - kapten_windu

1 point - Gunner 1

Harvey now has the honour of setting question 34

Jim :cheers:

PS - I am back in the quiz after sitting out Christophe's question :)

Plus I also take it that Christophe is also back in the running to answering quizchallenges .... look out for his spiralling climb to the top :beer:

Jim :cheers

PS - I am back in the quiz after sitting out Christophe's question :)

Plus I also take it that Christophe is also back in the running to answering quizchallenges .... look out for his spiralling climb to the top :beer:

Jim :cheers

:beer:

Cheers.

Ch.

Gentlemen,

I regret that I am unable to come up with the next question - I'm currently undergoing my 2 week annual training with the Guard, and have limited (and slow) internet access. I would be most grateful if someone could pose the next question for the quiz.

-Dave

OK Dave - I'll come up with the next one.

Good luck with your training!!! We will await your return back to the forum and quiz!!

(Just as a formality - please pass on answering the next question I set but fell welcome to answer any questions after that!)

As Harvey is not available to set the next question I'll keep the ball rolling with a relatively easy question....

Question 34

There should have been seven of us but only one of us is still on active duty.

What are we?

How were we known in the USSR and NATO?

What is the name of the remaining one and what has become of the other six?

We are well known in the west - who made us 'famous' and how?

Ok, let's give a try... ;)

Question 34

There should have been seven of us but only one of us is still on active duty.

What are we?

Typhoon class submarines Project 941).

How were we known in the USSR and NATO?

NATO reporting name "Typhoon", but with USSR name "Akula".

What is the name of the remaining one and what has become of the other six?

Remaining one : TK-208 Dmitriy Donskoy. Still In service. Upgraded to project 941UM for use of Bulava missiles.

4 have been scrapped.

2 are kept in reserve, but not active.

We are well known in the west - who made us 'famous' and how?

The use of the word "Typhoon" ("Тайфун") have been made by Leonid Brezhnev in a 1974 speech while describing a new type of nuclear ballistic missile submarine.

Probably the most well-known fictional Typhoon class was the stealth submarine Red October. It is the subject of the Tom Clancy novel The Hunt for Red October and the movie adaptation of that book.

Ch.

ANd Christophe scores his first victory point. The score now is as follows: :jumping:

12 points - JimZ

9 points - Harvey

7 points - Hauptmann

3 points - Valter

2 point - kapten_windu

1 point - Gunner 1

1 point - Christophe

Christophe has the honour of setting question 35

Hi Jim,

Happy to be back !!!! :jumping:

But, as soon as this night, I will be on the road, away for holidays... So, sorry, no time enough to ask for a question... I pass on my turn, and hope someone will have a good one !! :)))

Cheers.

Ch.

Christophe.. Have a great holiday and see you back soon!!

Let's again open the next quiz question to any member who has not yet participated and who wants to honour us with a new challenge!!!

Anyone who has not yet participated may jump on board and ask question 35.

Regards,

PS - if nobody picks up the gauntlet, I'll do so in a few days time.

Question 35

Tall and watchful I smiled down at all and one. I am gone but I left my boots behind me!!!

Who was I?

Where are my boots?

What is the story behing me? (In brief and in your own words - not just a link pls!!)

Good luck and enjoy....

This is a reference to the Stalin Monument in Budapest which was completed in December 1951. It was intended as a gift from the Hungarian people on the occasion of his 70th birthday (21 Dec 49). In reference to the smile, at the completion of the statue, a journalist in Budapest said, "Stalin was with us earlier; now he will be with us even more. He will watch over our work, and his smile will show us the way."

The statue was destroyed on October 23, 1956, when around 200,000 Hungarians gathered in Budapest to demonstrate in sympathy for the Poles who had just gained political reform during the Polish October. The Hungarians broadcast 16 demands over the radio, one of them being the dismantling of Stalin's statue. A hundred thousand Hungarian revolutionaries demolished the Stalin statue, leaving only his boots, in which they planted a Hungarian flag. The bronze inscribed name of the Hungarians' leader, teacher and "best friend" was ripped off from the pedestal. Before the toppling of the statue, someone had placed a sign over Stalin's mouth that read "RUSSIANS, WHEN YOU RUN AWAY DON'T LEAVE ME BEHIND!" The revolutionaries chanted "Russia go home!" while pulling down the statue.

The site of the former Stalin Monument is now occupied by the Monument of the 1956 Revolution, completed in 2006 for the 50th anniversary of the historic event. A life-sized copy of the tribune was built in the Statue Park with the broken bronze shoes on top of the pedestal in 2006.

Well done Harvey - :jumping:

12 points - JimZ

10 points - Harvey

7 points - Hauptmann

3 points - Valter

2 point - kapten_windu

1 point - Gunner 1

1 point - Christophe

Your turn to set question 36 (its ok if you cannot revert back on replies straight away but if you can follow up, it keeps things going)

Ok, here's the next one:

I stand guard over the hot springs.

I was built over a half-century ago to celebrate 1500 years of my people.

I stand ready to greet friends, or to repel enemies.

Who am I? Where am I?

My guess is the Kyi, Shchek, Khoryv and Lybid monument in Kiev unveiled for the 1500 year anniversary of the city in 1982.

Lybid's outstretched arms are ready to greet friends.....but Kyi, Shchek and Khoryv are ready to repel enemies.

There is also the Mother Motherland statue but she hardly fits the clues you gave....erected in 1981...just one year before the anniversary and built as part of the Museum of the Great Patriotic War......

But over half a century from now means that the monument was erected in 1962.....and the 1500 anniversary of Kiev was in 1982.... If my answer is correct (and your hint off by 20 years) do know that you made me panic as twenty years of my life flew past with just one of your posts. :)

Of course there is always the possibility that the above is not the answer you were looking for.....

HA!! No worries Harvey. I'm not sure I know the reply to this one - or if I do, the correct reply is not yet speaking to me :D

I'll try to hunt a bit tomorrow. Although someone might get it by then.....

You must admit though that the above statue really fitted the clues to a T!...except for the year of course!!!