News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

THE SOVIET QUIZ - 2011 - QUIZ CLOSED

• Replies 1.1k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Duh!!! :banger:

My lovely soviet medals kept me thinking Kiev!!! Did not even think to work out the Math!!! And again :banger: :banger: :banger: :banger:

But lets wait for Harvey to confirm.

Jim :cheers:

Well done Hauptmann! Congratulations!! :jumping:

12 points - JimZ

10 points - Harvey

8 points - Hauptmann

3 points - Valter

2 point - kapten_windu

1 point - Gunner 1

1 point - Christophe

Hauptmann, its your turn to set the next challenge that is to be question 37.

I was in line for the great honor of being the first... but that went to another. I still would have been one of those to immediately follow. But due to my ego and arrogance plus a bit of stupidity with two of my comrades I fell from favor and we burned down in concert. I continued my career, often telling others how I was one who should have had the honor and glory others went on to have including many who did not start will I had left, but they never believed me. I finally met my end by train.

Who was I?

What great honor was I in line for? Who did it go to instead?

What was the incident that caused my fall from favor? Who were my two comrades who were with me during this incident?

Where did I end up in my career?

When and how did I die?

Hope this is a bit of a challenge.

Good luck! :beer:

Dan :cheers:

Hi Dan,

There have been no attempts to answer this question since it was placed 4 days ago. Please try to drop a hint a day to encourage some response.

With holidays, the quiz may be slightly slower at this time of the year.....

Sorry folks... been struggling with a bad sinus infection and it's really knocked me back quite a few notches.

Clue #2: The events in this case were kept secret till recent years. For a bit of fun on a leave the three gave up much. The stars could have been the limit to their careers if not for what happened. One of them was not missed at all by his colleagues as he was so arrogant and full of himself, but the other two, being good, decent chaps were indeed missed.

Clue #3: A city in Russia that has bid for the 2014 Olympics. There are six good reasons this is a good clue... but I'm not telling what they are. :P:D:beer:

Edited by Hauptmann

Gents... I've given you plenty to be able to figure this one out. Just "carefully" read the original question and the clues. I've actually all but given it away. It is on the web... and will give you all the answers. But if you still need a clue:

Clue #4: A certain famous Soviet Air Force General was rather put off that this cover-up was finally found out.

So back to the forum and tackling this question....

Who was I? - Grigoriy Nelyubov - One of the Sochi Six.

What great honor was I in line for? - Man's first space flight

Who did it go to instead? - Yuri Gagarin

What was the incident that caused my fall from favor? Involved in a brawl and travelling without proper papers. He refused to make an apology to the guards who reported the incident instead of forgetting about it.

Who were my two comrades who were with me during this incident? Valentin Filatyev and Ivan Anikeyev

Where did I end up in my career? As an interceptor pilot in Siberia

When and how did I die? 18 February 1966, stepping in front of a train when drunk - Possibly suicide

This link has a good rendition of the story - possibly also your source - http://www.jamesoberg.com/usd10.html

YES! :jumping: :jumping: Was beginning to wonder if anyone would ever get this one. Tell me, did I give enough info on the original question and clues or not? :unsure: I thought I had but want to make sure. By the by, that was indeed my source.

Anyhow, congrats on a job well done! :beer:

Well it was a tough one and sounded vague - although there were several clues. Hindsight is always 20:20!!

I was not aware of this story and the few search attempts that I made were rather clumsy. :D

Today I noticed the olympics hint which obviously meant Sochi...that was the hint that got me looking in the right direction... plus I thought I'd try astronuts!! Which then brought me to the Sochi six! Six good reasons!! :whistle:

Sad story, although I must say that self conceit is not a virtue!!

Do photos of him actually exist online?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexey_Leonov

Leonov was mentioned several times throughout the article, including the fact that he was in on the coverup. Mentioned a couple of times about Leonov in a photo that proved the coverup and scowling.

Re: the pics:

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2011/04/soviet-space-propaganda/?pid=1179

http://www.google.com/search?q=Grigori+Nelyubov+photo&hl=en&biw=1366&bih=643&prmd=ivnso&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=pKBZTsHKOKPQiAKN5PmiCQ&sqi=2&ved=0CBkQsAQ

Cheers Hauptmann!!

So the score now stands as follows:

13 points - JimZ

10 points - Harvey

8 points - Hauptmann

3 points - Valter

2 point - kapten_windu

1 point - Gunner 1

1 point - Christophe

I will come up with challenge 38 shortly... However, I am leaving the door open to anyone who may want to set the next question.....

(If someone takes up this offer I will not be answering the next one.)

Question 38

I became one of Stalin's victims which perhaps makes me one of a few millions!! But I stand out from all the rest and history could have been very different.

Who am and what is my full birthname?

Why was I a prominent person? (general info)

What trigerred off my downdfall?

Where did I live during 1930 and after that?

How did I die and where am I buried?

Leon Trotsky Lev Davidovich Bronshtein

Prominent Russian Markhist and theorist, founder and first leader of Red Army

He was one of the leaders of the "United Opposition" and disagreed with Stalin over the 'Northern Expedition'

Lived in Buyukada, France, Norway and Mexico

He was killed by NKVD agent Ramon Mercader with an ice axe

His grave is in Coyoacan,

http://en.wikipedia....E2.80.931928.29

Dick Flory

Edited by Gunner 1

Welcome back Gunner 1!! A well deserved second point that puts the ball in your court! :jumping:

The score now stands as follows:

13 points - JimZ

10 points - Harvey

8 points - Hauptmann

3 points - Valter

2 point - kapten_windu

2 point - Gunner 1

1 point - Christophe

Gunner 1 to set question 39!!!

Edited by JimZ

Question 39: I was a Soviet fighter ace who by fall 1943 had more than ten aerial victories, the Gold Star of a Hero of the Soviet Union (#1117), the Order of Lenin and two Orders of the Red Banner, but I fell from favor and ended the war with a Nazi decoration.

1. What is my full name.

2. How did I fall from favor.

3. What did I do to win the Nazi decoration?

4. Why am I not in the major Soviet references listing those who received the Gold Star of a Hero of the Soviet Union?

Regards, Gunner 1

Question 39: I was a Soviet fighter ace who by fall 1943 had more than ten aerial victories, the Gold Star of a Hero of the Soviet Union (#1117), the Order of Lenin and two Orders of the Red Banner, but I fell from favor and ended the war with a Nazi decoration.

1. What is my full name. Semyon Trofimovich Bychkov.

2. How did I fall from favor. On December 10, 1943, Bychkov was downed by enemy anti-aircraft artillery and captured in an unconscious state. After recovering in a German hospital Bychkov was sent to a camp for imprisoned pilots in Suwalki. In 1944 he agreed to collaborate with the Germans and joined the Russian aircraft group within the Luftwaffe.

3. What did I do to win the Nazi decoration? He was awarded the German Ostvolk Medal 2nd class with swords, presumably for his efforts in forming a Russian air group where he participated in military operations against the Russian guerrillas in Dvinsk from March - June 1944. After disbanding the group Bychkov created the 1st Aviation Regiment of what became known as the Russian Liberation Army. In December 1944 he was appointed commander of the 5th fighter squadron, 1st Aviation Regiment named after Colonel Alexander A. Kazakov. Additionally, he repeatedly made anti-Soviet propaganda speeches ​​in the prison camps with Eastern workers.

4. Why am I not in the major Soviet references listing those who received the Gold Star of a Hero of the Soviet Union? On August 24, 1946, Bychkov was charged by the tribunal of Moscow Military District and sentenced to death. The next day Bychkov submitted an appeal for pardon, but it was rejected and the sentence was executed on November 4 of the same year. The following year, he was posthumously stripped of all honors that had been awarded to him by the Soviet Union.

Edited by Harvey

Congrats on your victory Harvey!! :jumping:

The score now stands as follows:

13 points - JimZ

11 points - Harvey

8 points - Hauptmann

3 points - Valter

2 point - kapten_windu

2 point - Gunner 1

1 point - Christophe

Harvey is to set question 40!!!

Edited by JimZ

Ok, here's one from me - not sure how hard or easy it'll be...

Below is a picture of me in Georgia back in 2005.

Question: what weapon am I holding? What country manufactures it?

Edited by Harvey