News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

THE SOVIET QUIZ - 2011 - QUIZ CLOSED

• Replies 1.1k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MMM... Lets give this some more thought.

Harvey is right about the person filling in the void not being able to answer the next question.... and this is even more so with only 6 particpants.....

Let me the ostrich thing for now......stick my head in the ground and ask an easy next one....that way the problem is solved for now..... SIgh.

Guys,

I am not in a position to follow and monitor as much as I would like to over the next couple of days as I am busy with some work related stuff. As a result, I would like to pass the question to anyone else, ideally a new member who has not yet participated in the quiz! I am sure someone will take up this challenge and honour.

I think the rules are working pretty well and we have things going. I would however like to propose an additional rule.

When passing a question on to someone else, you are not allowed to answering that question. So basically, rather than sit back and enjoy answering questions, when any participant gains a point but passes the right to answer the question, he loses the right to particpate in that next questions.

Hence if someone takes up the next challenge, I will not be able to reply to that question. Harvey, Hauptmann, as the next two runner ups, do you think that this rule is fair? - If so I will add it on to the rules on the front page.

Jim :cheers:

I concur. :beer:

Dan :cheers:

Question 26

What is the name of the man in the orange flight suit?

Where and when did he land this plane?

What was the area referred to by residents?

Where was he accomodated and for how long?

What did he go on to do later on in life?

Good luck...this will either be a quick answer or will keep you guys busy until I free up again :cheeky:

Enjoy - this one is fun!

I concur. :beer:

Guys,

Harvey makes a point but I think that the fun part is actually asking the questions not scoring the points. At least, I try to score the point to ask the next one.... So in a way, the honour (and fun) of asking the question should be enough for all. After all, we are not competing for anything here but the glory of it all :cheeky:

Lets all sleep over this and we'll talk again. In the meantime, it would indeed be nice to see more partipants.

Regards,

Jim

Mathias Rust

He landed on Vasilevski Spusk next to Red Square near the Kremlin in the capital of the USSR.

Sheremetyevo-3. (Sheremetyevo-1 and -2 are two major airports near Moscow.)

Rust's trial started in Moscow on September 2, 1987. He was sentenced to four years in a general-regime labor camp for hooliganism, disregard of aviation laws and breaching of the Soviet border. However, he was never transferred to a labor camp and instead served his time at the high security Lefortovo temporary detention facility in Moscow. Two months after Reagan and Gorbachev agreed to sign a treaty to eliminate intermediate-range nuclear weapons in Europe, the Supreme Soviet ordered Rust released as a goodwill gesture to the west. He returned to West Germany on 3 August 1988.

While doing his obligatory community service (Zivildienst) in a West German hospital in 1989, Rust stabbed a female co-worker who had rejected him. The injuries were life-threatening and he was sentenced to four years in prison for attempted manslaughter and was released after having served fifteen months.

In 1996, he became engaged to a daughter of an Indian tea merchant and converted to Hinduism. In 2001, he was convicted for stealing a cashmere pullover and ordered to pay DM 10,000; the sentence was later reduced to 600 marks. In 2005, he was convicted of fraud and had to pay €1,500 for stolen goods.In 2009 Rust described himself as a professional poker player.

Question 26

I actually recognized this one right off the bat - just couldn't remember the particulars. Thanks to Google, I just typed in "plane lands in red square" and there she was! :D

What is the name of the man in the orange flight suit?

Mathias Rust

Where and when did he land this plane?

On May 28, 1987 he landed a Cessna 172 near Red Square in Moscow - the actually landing site was a bridge by St. Basil's Cathedral.

What was the area referred to by residents?

Sheremetyevo-3 (Sheremetyevo-1 and -2 are two major airports near Moscow).

Where was he accomodated and for how long?

He was held at Lefortovo temporary detention facility in Moscow from Sept 87 - Aug 88.

What did he go on to do later on in life?

Not too much. In 1989 he was sentenced to four years in prison for attempted manslaughter (after stabbing a female co-worker who had rejected him) but was released after having served fifteen months. In 1996, he became engaged to a daughter of an Indian tea merchant and converted to Hinduism. In 2001, he was convicted for stealing a cashmere pullover and ordered to pay 10,000 DM; the sentence was later reduced to 600 marks. In 2005, he was convicted of fraud and had to pay €1,500 for stolen goods. In 2009 Rust described himself as a professional poker player.

LOL this is a tough one!!!

Dan's answer is technically incomplete as he forgot to give the date of the landing (28 May 1987) unless I am missing it in your post :speechless:

Technically there was an unanswered question which Harvey replied to!!

We've been pretty careful to make sure that we give complete answers. I lost the Kalashnikov one as I failed to say "Mikhail" Kalashnikov. Harvey also risked the losing the ODM question due to incomplete order names.....so I think I should award Harvey this point :whistle: What do you think Dan? Can u live with that???

:anmatcat:

Thanks Dan for accepting that Harvey gets the point - fair is fair and his answer was full! But well done to both of you!!! Your replies were supersonic!!

The score is presently as follows:

9 points - JimZ

7 points - Harvey

5 points - Hauptmann

3 points - Valter

1 point - kapten_windu

1 point - Gunner 1

Question 27 is next ...... Harvey.....your shot!

Another possible approach - and one that has worked well over at the "QUICK TEASER" thread in The Lounge - is for the host to run the competition and provide the questions. In this case, Mervyn Mitton posts several questions at a time, usually pictures, and then gives the participants a few days to answer them. There is a limit of one question per person for the first 24 hours, after which any outstanding questions can be answered by anyone. Mervyn then tallies up the points and provides any clues that may be necessary for the outstanding questions. Participants are also encouraged to provide their own questions, and receive a point if it remains unanswered.

I don't know about Dan and the others, but I don't feel that I'm that great at posing challenging questions on this subject, and this approach may also encourage more participation by those who might want to pop in to answer a question or two but don't have the time/resources to come up with a question of their own.

Just a thought - let me know what y'all think.

-Dave

Cross of liberty, Estonia, 1919-1925

Awarded to honor those who service/involved on Estonia independence war

There are 3 grade with each consist of 3 classes:

Military

leadership / grade 1

Personal courage / grade 2

3. Civilian service / grade 3

Source:

en.m.wikipedia/wiki/cross_of_liberty(estonia)

It's original name was: Eesti Vabadusrist

Established by Konstantin Pats on 24 February 1919 and terminated on 19 June 1925

Some notable foreigner got this cross:

A. Balfour

Stanley Baldwin

Christian X of Denmark

Sir winston Churchill

Gustav V

And the most unique recipient: City of Verdun..!!

The last surviving recipient: Karl Jaanus VRII/3, died on 6 Oct 2000

Another possible approach - and one that has worked well over at the "QUICK TEASER" thread in The Lounge - is for the host to run the competition and provide the questions. In this case, Mervyn Mitton posts several questions at a time, usually pictures, and then gives the participants a few days to answer them. There is a limit of one question per person for the first 24 hours, after which any outstanding questions can be answered by anyone. Mervyn then tallies up the points and provides any clues that may be necessary for the outstanding questions. Participants are also encouraged to provide their own questions, and receive a point if it remains unanswered.

I don't know about Dan and the others, but I don't feel that I'm that great at posing challenging questions on this subject, and this approach may also encourage more participation by those who might want to pop in to answer a question or two but don't have the time/resources to come up with a question of their own.

Just a thought - let me know what y'all think.

-Dave

No. Definitely not more than one question at a time. Ultimately, the quiz rules were set by Christophe and save for small tweaking here and there, I want to leave the quiz by and large as he designed it - at least in 2011.

I'll consider the need for other changes in the 2012 edition (if we manage to get that far).

Well done Windu and welcome back into the game....

The score is presently as follows:

9 points - JimZ

7 points - Harvey

5 points - Hauptmann

3 points - Valter

2 point - kapten_windu

1 point - Gunner 1

Question 28 is next ...... Windu.....your shot!

OK, i'll search a question..

Give me time, Gentlemen.. :)

-will be back as soon as possible, if i don't comeback within 6 hours (mobile internet connection doesn't always working good in my hometown), someone can give the question-

Windu :cheers:

OK, it's about vehicle, so i think it will be easier..

Clues:

-I am big and unique vehicle..

-My standard weapon are 2 double 30mm canons..

-max speed: 81mph

-only 20 were built

Q: Who am I? What's the name of my British older brother (or we can said older twins)?

I'll post more clue tomorrow if no one still can't answer correctly (i'm sure one of you can answer this quickly!).. :)

Windu-

By "2 double 30mm cannons" you're saying that it has a total of 4 cannons, correct? Or does it only mount two cannons total? I'm not aware of any Soviet vehicles that have 4x30mm cannons.

Also, is the max speed 81mph or km/h? 81mph = 130km/h, which is pretty darn fast for a vehicle. By contrast, 81km/h = ~50mph, which is much more reasonable. I'm not aware of any vehicles that have a top speed of 81mph.

A total production of 20 rules out any conventional anti-aircraft and/or infantry fighting vehicles (BMPs, BTRs, ZSUs, etc.), thus making it a prototype of some sort. The ZSU-57-2 SPAAG (Self-Propelled Anti-Aircraft Gun) had dual S-68 30mm cannons, but was in widespread production from 1955 onwards. The 2S6 Tunguska (aka S-19 Grison) also has dual 2A38 30mm cannons, as does the Pantsir-S1 (aka S-22 Greyhound), but both lack the top speed you describe and have higher production numbers.

I'll wait until more info is provided before I guess any further.

1. Double 2x30mm means 2xtwin AK 230 30mm..

2. The speed can reach 81mph/130kmph

3. Only 20 were produced, not more.. :)

More clue:

-It's said that in 2004-(present) only 6 remain operated by Russia..

-i'm not a tank or something like that, i'm bigger.. :)

Remember the keyword that i give yesterday: i'm big and unique vehicle..