News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

THE SOVIET QUIZ - 2011 - QUIZ CLOSED

• Replies 1.1k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jim: Please remove my score and user name from the list of contestants in the Soviet Quiz as I wish to no longer participate. I might mention to Harvey that the phrase 'who touched the face of God" has nothing to do with cosmonauts or astronauts as it was coined by Flight Officer John Gillespie Magee, Jr. in his poem "High Flight" and he died in 1941 well before the term cosmonaut or astronaut was even thought of.

It was fun while it lasted but it is time for me to go. Gunner 1

Hi Gunner 1,

You are of course free to stop participating in the Soviet Quiz at any time. However do understand that I cannot accomodate requests from any member to remove their scores as this is a cumulative effort and yours has been a very valid contribution to the success of the 2011 version of the quiz. The fact that you have decided to leave the quiz does not in any way diminish your participation. Neither does it diminish the fact that you have succeeded in answering several questions, some of which were rather challenging. Your score stands as an achievement to your credit.

The quiz scoreboard will be reset as of 1/1/2012 when the quiz will be locked and a new one will start from scratch. Only the names of 2012 participants will be included.

On a personal note, I am sorry to see you go. There have been a number of frustrating questions. However do bear in mind that the quiz includes, not only members from different countries, but also members whose first language is not English. It includes members who come from different backgrounds, cultures, levels of education etc. This basically means that the same question may be tackled by different members in just as many different ways. I have intervened a number of times on questions which I thought were too complex or too cryptic, taking myself out of the running of the quiz whenever I did so. However, I never felt there was any need to get involved with question that were answered within a day or two. Ultimately, there remains an element of poetic licence in most questions and the underlying hints.

Gunner, I will reiterate that your participation was highly valued and surely, appreciated by all who took on your challenge. I hope that this will turn out to be more of an "au revoir" than an "adieu" and may I remind you that we all remain one post away.

Regards,

Jim :cheers:

Ok.....back to what we do........

Scoreboard update!

23 points - JimZ

16 points - Harvey

12 points - UB6365

11 points - Hauptmann

10 points - Christophe

8 points - Gunner 1

3 points - Valter

2 points - kapten_windu

1 point - Tachel

Question 86 will follow next.......

Question 86

My life has spanned a century of changes.

I am highly decorated and well respected.

I have also been on the forefront of the USSR military fist.

Who am I?

When was I at the forefront of the USSR military fist?

What am I quoted as saying on my last birthday?

Good hunting.

Hi Jim,

I am Sergei Leonidovich Sokolov (Серге́й Леони́дович Соколо́в) (born 1 July 1911).

Sokolov was promoted to Marshal of the Soviet Union in 1978. He was in charge of Soviet ground forces during the invasion of Afghanistan.He personally led the main Soviet incursion of ground forces on the December 27, 1979.

Sergei Sokolov is currently the oldest living Soviet Marshal. On his centenarian birthday he stated, "Military service prestige will regain the importance it once had."

Ch.

Scoreboard update!

23 points - JimZ

16 points - Harvey

12 points - UB6365

11 points - Hauptmann

11 points - Christophe

8 points - Gunner 1

3 points - Valter

2 points - kapten_windu

1 point - Tachel

Question 87 belongs to Christophe.......

My turn..

An easy one... :)

Question 87

I am born in 1976.

My predecessor hold the place during a very long time.

At the age of 24, I have been discovered a serious illness.

Now, I begin a second life in Dubai.

Who am I ?

Good hunt and good luck !! :whistle:

Ch.

very nice question

Thanks UB :)

About the hint : German electronic music group Tangerine Dream performed a spectacular concert recorded live at the Palast der Republik on 31 January 1980. The concert was unique in that Tangerine Dream was the first Western group who was allowed by the Communist government to play in East Berlin at the time and was dubbed "the performance behind the Iron Curtain".

Ch.

Scoreboard update!

24 points - JimZ

16 points - Harvey

12 points - UB6365

11 points - Hauptmann

11 points - Christophe

8 points - Gunner 1

3 points - Valter

2 points - kapten_windu

1 point - Tachel

Question 88 will be up next ....... As it might be some time yet till I post the question, I would open the floor to any new members to post a question in my place and if this offer is taken up, I'll sit out the next one.....

Under your permission, Jimz...

Question #88.

I was born in thirties of last century.

In one I way connected to the name of Soviet Union leader of that period.

In other way I am a reason of 100000 deaths.

I am also a famous brand of consumer goods in SU.

Please name me and show the picture of consumer goods, related to me.

Edited by ub6365

Thanks UB.

Slightly caught up with work for a couple of days so that limits my ability to research questions and answers.

Appreciate your filling the void.

As is customary, I will skip trying to reply to this question as I have given up my right to ask it......

......in your very good hands gentlemen!!!

Edited by JimZ