News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

THE SOVIET QUIZ - 2011 - QUIZ CLOSED

• Replies 1.1k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Scoreboard update!

24 points - JimZ

17 points - Harvey

14 points - UB6365

13 points - Christophe

12 points - Hauptmann

8 points - Gunner 1

3 points - Valter

2 points - kapten_windu

1 point - Tachel

The honour of Question 94 goes to Harvey!

Jim :cheers:

Fellow Soviet quiz members-

As I am in the midst of preparing for imminent overseas deployment, I find that I am unable to devote any time to coming up with questions to keep this quiz running. Unlike JimZ and others on here, I do not have a great wealth of knowledge of the subject off-hand, so it takes me a bit to come up with something good. Accordingly, I will take a backseat here and let others come up with challenging questions, as Christophe and UB6365 have been doing. With Jim's permission, I may still pop in from time to time (as the deployment allows) to answer questions, but will try to limit that as well out of fairness to the others on here.

-Dave Harvey

Battalion Chaplain

1-126th Aviation Bn

Hi Harvey,

Of course, you are more than welcome to join in as you please and as time may permit. The only restriction is that if you cannot ask the next question, you will have to offer it to some one else and then, sit that question out. We are going to miss you around here and you have not only been capable of answering some tough questions but have also given us some good challenges as well. However, duty comes first and we wish you the best of luck with your deployment. Do keep in touch with us!

Very far from having a wealth of knowledge, I find the quiz is more about searching for material that is suitable for a question. Having said that, time is fast becoming my enemy rather than my ally, and as I keep getting busier in my personal life, I also find much less time to research answers let alone questions.

In the interest of the quiz, I do hope that new participants will join in as we may otherwise start to struggle, without both yourself and Gunner. On my part I am trying to see the quiz through the end of the year and then we'll see how and what form this will take in 2012, when the scores are levelled and perhaps, the rules are changed to make the quiz more attractive to one and all.

Once again, best of luck Harvey - Stay safe!!! :beer:

I take it that Harvey will not be asking the next question....so Question 94 is up for grabs.....Anyone?

We're almost at the hundreth question and it would be great to get that far.....gentlemen....

Hi to all,

Harvey,

I am really sorry to hear that you will be less present amongst us. :( But, indeed, your duty is of upmost importance. Please, pay us a visit from time to time...

Jim,

The Club is narrowing... :( I know, by experience, how difficult it is to keep the flame of such a project, a Quiz...

We need more new people. Otherwise, this Quiz will vanish, as the one I launched did last year...

I have an idea.

I will ask for the next challenge.

A very easy one.

But, it will be open to answers only for new players.

If no new player tries to answer, - let's say before 1st December, 20:00 GMT time - , it will be open again to any player, new or actual...

Indeed, Jim, we need to advertise this to attract new players...

What do you think ?

Cheers.

Ch.

Question #94

Warning :

To revive the Quiz and attract new players, this question is to be answered by new players only.

If no new player tries to answer before 1st December, 20:00 GMT time, the challenge will be open again to any player, new or actual...

rock%20on.gif

Question #94 :

A very easy challenge....

On this photograph, who are we ?

Please, give :

1. Our names.

2. Our dates of death.

The winner will be the 1st player correctly answering both questions.

Goo hunt and good luck... :whistle:

Cheers.

Ch.

Hi k2009,

Welcome to the Quiz !!! :)

You are the winner !!! :jumping: :jumping: :jumping:

You are right. And, indeed, Svetlana Stalina, Stalin's daughter, died just a few days ago.

Here is the original pic.

Your turn now to ask a question to, all of us.

Again, congratulations !! :beer:

Your turn, now...

Ch.

Hi to all,

Harvey,

I am really sorry to hear that you will be less present amongst us. :( But, indeed, your duty is of upmost importance. Please, pay us a visit from time to time...

Jim,

The Club is narrowing... :( I know, by experience, how difficult it is to keep the flame of such a project, a Quiz...

We need more new people. Otherwise, this Quiz will vanish, as the one I launched did last year...

I have an idea.

I will ask for the next challenge.

A very easy one.

But, it will be open to answers only for new players.

If no new player tries to answer, - let's say before 1st December, 20:00 GMT time - , it will be open again to any player, new or actual...

Indeed, Jim, we need to advertise this to attract new players...

What do you think ?

Cheers.

Ch.

Did not have time to reply before.

It was an excellent idea and yes, without new blood the quiz will falter. I am very glad to see K2009 has joined our ranks.

I think it is important to get as much as interest as possible so that as of 1/1/2012 we will start the 2009 thread and its a free for all as we will all have zero points. As it stands its abit hard to reach high up in the charts, although the idea of points is not as important as participating.

The aim of the quiz is to learn new things. When we start to ask difficuilt or obscure questions members simply lose interest. So lets keep it simple, easy flowing....and get as many people aboard for the 2012 quiz which is just around the corner.

Scoreboard update!

24 points - JimZ

17 points - Harvey

14 points - UB6365

13 points - Christophe

12 points - Hauptmann

8 points - Gunner 1

3 points - Valter

2 points - kapten_windu

1 point - Tachel

1 point - K2009

The honour of Question 95 belongs entirely to K2009, our latest participant!

Did not have time to reply before.

It was an excellent idea and yes, without new blood the quiz will falter. I am very glad to see K2009 has joined our ranks.

I think it is important to get as much as interest as possible so that as of 1/1/2012 we will start the 2009 thread and its a free for all as we will all have zero points. As it stands its abit hard to reach high up in the charts, although the idea of points is not as important as participating.

The aim of the quiz is to learn new things. When we start to ask difficuilt or obscure questions members simply lose interest. So lets keep it simple, easy flowing....and get as many people aboard for the 2012 quiz which is just around the corner.

Hi Jim,

I fully agree !! :)

I think you meant : "we will start the 2012 thread...". :)

Cheers.

Ch.

PS : and now, K2009, your turn to ask Question #95... :love:

Hi to all,

Question is difficult, correct answer is:

general Wojciech Jaruzelski - defence minister

Franciszek Szlachcic - member council of state /also general of polish police and security/

Piotr Jaroszewicz - deputy prime minister /also general of polish army/

Fidel Castro

Edward Gierek - polish communist party first secretary

Warsaw 1972 Fidel Castro visit to Poland

Guys what just hapenned here?

K2009 was only entitled to ask one question i.e. the question in post 989.

Christophe gave two names, UB 3.

Suddenly a new question which UB replied to.

Was question 95 substituted?

I can only award one point for one K2009 question - In either case, the point should probably go to UB.... Christophe, have you followed what happened here? :)

PS - I am cleaning out some of the excess posts as they are repeated and just serve to confuse.....

Also - PLS ASK SPECIFIC QUESTIONS!!

Edited by JimZ

Hi Jim,

In fact the 1st version has not been totally answered, even if I agree that UB should have been the winner, as he identified four of our men... :)

K2009 should have either given the point to UB, either decided the correct answer had not beeen reached yet...

For me, the best was to declare UB the winner and ask him for the next challenge.

But K2009 asked for a new question... correctly answered by UB. :)

I believe we shoudl give the point to UB and ask him for the next one...

Do you agree ?

Cheers.

Ch.

I agree with Christophe. One point is awarded and that will go to UB6365. In future let us not proceed with a new question until a point has been awarded, when the honour of asking the question is also passed on with the point. Also if a question is to ever to be retracted please make that official so that such problems will not arise in future. :beer:

Scoreboard update!

24 points - JimZ

17 points - Harvey

15 points - UB6365

13 points - Christophe

12 points - Hauptmann

8 points - Gunner 1

3 points - Valter

2 points - kapten_windu

1 point - Tachel

1 point - K2009

Question 96 belongs to UB6365!!