News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

THE SOVIET QUIZ - 2011 - QUIZ CLOSED

• Replies 1.1k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OH NUTS! :cheeky: You're absolutely correct! Another MAJOR senior moment! My DEEPEST apologies. With Jim's permission, I'd suggest you have a redo... just scratch this one like it never happened and you ask another... again if that's okay with Jim and the others.

Many many apologies to you and the other players! Don't know what I was thinking... I happened to see it, it rang a responsive chord in this faulty brain of mine and I went running without even thinking. Sigh. Guess I'd better start checking out retirement homes! :cheeky:

Dan :cheers:

No candidate ? :unsure:

So, let's go for a new Question #103 :

I'm not a galliforme.

Nearly 10 years have been necessary for me to be ready.

I know who are my friends and my enemies.

And... I have friends in more than 30 countries.

Air Force One does not like me so much.

Who (ore more exactly What) am I ?

Should be easy...

Good hunt and good luck... :whistle:

Ch.

Edited by Christophe

Well done UB !! :jumping: :jumping:

The 9K38 Igla (Russia: Игла́, needle) is a Russian / Soviet man-portable infra-red homing surface-to-air missile (SAM). "9K38" is the Russian GRAU designation of the system. Its US DoD designation is SA-18 and its NATO reporting name is Grouse; a simplified, earlier version is known as the 9K310 Igla-1, or SA-16 Gimlet. The latest variant is the 9K338 Igla-S NATO reporting name SA-24 Grinch. It is fielded by the Russian Army since 2004.

The development of the Igla short-range man-portable air defense system (MANPADS) began in the Kolomna OKB in 1972. Technical difficulties in the development quickly made it obvious that the development would take far longer than anticipated however, and in 1978 the program split in two: while the development of the full-capability Igla would continue, a simplified version (Igla-1) with a simpler IR seeker based on that of the earlier Strela-3/SA-14 would be developed to enter service earlier than the full-capability version could be finished.

The 9K310 Igla-1 system and its 9M313 missile were accepted into service in the Soviet army on 11 March 1981. The main differences from the Strela-3 included an optional Identification Friend or Foe system to prevent firing on friendly aircraft, an automatic lead and super elevation to simplify shooting and reduce minimum firing range, a slightly larger rocket, reduced drag and better guidance system extend maximum range and improve performance against fast and maneuverable targets, an improved lethality on target achieved by a combination of delayed impact fuzing, terminal maneuver to hit the fuselage rather than jet nozzle, an additional charge to set off the remaining rocket fuel (if any) on impact, an improved resistance to infrared countermeasures (both decoy flares and ALQ-144 series jamming emitters), and slightly improved seeker sensitivity.

Use in plot against Air Force One : On August 12, 2003, as a result of a sting operation arranged as a result of cooperation between the American, British and Russian intelligence agencies, Hemant Laklhani, a British national, was intercepted attempting to bring what he had thought was an older-generation Igla into the USA. He is said to have intended the missile to be used in an attack on Air Force One, the American presidential plane, or on a commercial US airliner, and is understood to have planned to buy 50 more of these weapons.

After the FSB detected the dealer in Russia, he was approached by US undercover agents posing as terrorists wanting to shoot down a commercial plane. He was then provided with an inert Igla by undercover Russian agents, and arrested in Newark, New Jersey, when making the delivery to the undercover US agent.

Igla and Igla-1 SAMs have been exported from the the former Soviet Union to over 30 countries.

Bravo !! :jumping:

Your turn, now...

Ch.

Scoreboard update!

24 points - JimZ

17 points - Harvey

17 points - UB6365

16 points - Christophe

15 points - Hauptmann

8 points - Gunner 1

3 points - Valter

2 points - kapten_windu

1 point - Tachel

1 point - K2009

Question 104 to follow. UB6365, when you want...

Ch.

I am Russian and Soviet officer. I participated in 5 wars and awarded with Order of St Vladimir,

2 Orders of St Anne , 2 Orders of St Stanislaus , Order of Lenin

2 Orders of the Red Banner, Order of Red star and

"Gold Star" medal of HSU

I was born in Omsk and died in Austria.

Who am I and what is my connection to the most important Russian monastery in Sergiyev Posad, city close to Moscow.
    Edited by ub6365

I am Dmitry Mikhailovich Karbyshev.

Dmitry Mikhailovich Karbyshev was a Hero of the USSR, Lieutenant General of Engineer Troops, a professor of the General Staff Military Academy and a Doctor of Military Science.

Karbyshev was born in Omsk in Southwest Siberia, into the family of a military official. His father died when he was twelve. In spite of grave financial problems, Karbyshev did brilliantly in the Siberian cadet corps and in 1898 was accepted into the St. Petersburg Nikolaevskoe School of Military Engineering, from which he graduated at the top of his class in 1890. After that he was assigned to military service in the Russian Far East. With a rank of second lieutenant, he was appointed company commander of the East Siberian Sapper Battalion, which was stationed in Manchuria (a vast region in Northeast Asia, now divided between China and Russia).

Karbyshev took part in the Russo-Japanese War of 1904-1905. With his battalion, he fortified Russian positions, deployed communication facilities, established bridges and led exploratory attacks. He was awarded five orders and three medals. He finished the war with the rank of lieutenant. After the war Karbyshev was transferred to the reserve for propaganda among soldiers. He then lived and worked in Vladivostok. In 1907 the creation of the Vladivostok Adscript Sapper Battalion began. Experienced officers were required and Karbyshev was summoned to military service again. In 1911, he graduated from the Nikolaevskaya Military Engineering Academy with honors. He was to be allocated to command the Sevastopol Fortress (located on modern Ukraine’s Crimea peninsula) mine company, but instead was sent to Brest-Litovsk (located on the Polish-Belorussian border), where he took part in the construction of the Brest Fortress, which later changed hands several times and earned the title of Hero Fortress in the World War II.

Karbyshev took part in World War I from its first day. He fought in the Carpathian Mountains in General Brusilov’s Eighth Army (the South-Western Front). He was the division engineer in the 78th and 69th infantry divisions and in the 22nd Finnish rifle corps. At the beginning of 1915 he took part in the assault on the Przemysl Fortress in South-Eastern Poland and was wounded in the leg. For his courage, he was promoted to lieutenant colonel and awarded the Order of St. Anna with swords (specifically awarded for bravery in battle). In 1916 he took part in the famous Brusilov Offensive, which is considered the Russian Empire’s greatest success of World War I and one of the most lethal battles in world history, with around two million casualties.

In December 1917 Karbyshev joined the Red Army. During the Russian Civil War of 1917-1923 he took part in the construction of several fortified regions across Russia and participated in the engineering support of the Kakhovsky foothold on the eastern bank of the Dnepr River in modern Southern Ukraine. He held positions of high responsibility in the North Caucasus military district. In 1920 Karbyshev was appointed Chief Engineer of the Fifth Eastern Front Army. He commanded the fortification of Zabaikalskiy to the East of Lake Baikal. In autumn 1920 he became the assistant of the Southern Front Chief Engineer. He led the engineering support of the assaults of the 1920 Perekop-Chongar operation (which led to the Red Army’s breakthrough in Crimea), and for that he was awarded a gold watch with his name inscribed on it. From 1921 Karbyshev was the Chairman of the Engineering Committee of the Red Army’s Main Military Engineering Department. In November 1926 he started teaching at the Mikhail Frunze Military Academy. In February 1934 he was appointed Head of the Military Engineering Sub Department of the General Staff Military Academy, and two year later became Head of the Higher Formation Tactics Sub Department, and only in 1938 Karbyshev graduated from the General Staff Military Academy himself. The same year he was given the title of academic professor. In 1940 he was promoted to the rank of engineering troops lieutenant general.

Karbyshev was the first Soviet scientist to fully research and develop the military use of destruction and man-made obstacles. He also contributed significantly to the research on across-water operations. He published over 100 works on military engineering and war history. His articles and textbooks on the theory of engineering support and engineering troops tactics were the main materials in the preparation of Red Army commanders in the pre-World War II period. In 1941 Karbyshev received the title of Doctor of Military Science (military Grand Ph.D.). He also took part in the commissions that developed and published military engineering instructions for the Red Army.

Karbyshev participated in the Winter War between the Soviet Union and Finland in 1939-1940. As part of the group headed by the Deputy Chief of the Main Military Engineering Department, he handed out recommendations to the troops on the engineering support of the breakthrough of the key Finnish Mannerheim line of defense. At the beginning of June 1941 Karbyshev was transferred to the Western Special Military District. The German Invasion found him in the Third Army headquarters in Grodno (in modern Belarus). Two days later he moved to the Tenth Army headquarters. On June 27 the headquarters was surrounded, and in August, during an attempt to escape the encirclement, Karbyshev received a heavy concussion in a fight near the Dnepr River and was taken prisoner. The Germans tried to persuade him into betrayal numerous times, but failed. In the German concentration camps Sajmiste, Hammelburg, Flossenburg, Majdanek, Auschwitz and Sachsenhausen, Karbyshev was one of the resistance chiefs. On the night of 18 February 1945 in the Mauthausen concentration camp, Austria, he was killed together with around 500 other prisoners. The Nazis had them soaked with water in freezing cold.

Dmitry Karbyshev was posthumously awarded the title of Hero of the Soviet Union on 16 August 1946, as well as the Order of Lenin, the Red Banner and the Red Star. A white marble monument to Karbyshev was erected at the entrance to the memorial at the former Mauthausen concentration camp.

He was a consultant for the restoration of the Trinity Lavra of St. Sergius outside of Moscow.

Ch.

Pic : rkka.ru

Scoreboard update!

24 points - JimZ

17 points - Harvey

17 points - UB6365

17 points - Christophe

15 points - Hauptmann

8 points - Gunner 1

3 points - Valter

2 points - kapten_windu

1 point - Tachel

1 point - K2009

A fierce competition for the 2nd rank...

Question 105 to follow, as soon as I have an idea... ;)

Ch.

Question #105

Originally from India, my present residence is in Moscow.

I made and still make the pride of the Imperial, Soviet and Russian Federation regimes.

Very secret, I became public for the fist time on the occasion of the 50 year anniversary of the October Revolution.

But, I was therefore well known; Napoleon loved me a lot. Hopefully, a ghost protected me from him...

Who (or what) am I ?

Where is my actual residence ?

Good hunt and good luck... :whistle:

Ch.

Hello Lukasz,

Welcome to the Quiz !!! :beer: Nice to see you here !!

You are the winner !!! :jumping: :jumping: :jumping: Congratulations !!

I am the Orlov.

The Orlov (sometimes spelled Orloff) is a large diamond that is part of the collection of the Diamond Fund of the Moscow Kremlin. The origin of this resplendent relic – described as having the shape and proportions of half a hen's egg – can be traced back to the 18th century Sri Ranganathasway Hindu temple, in India where it once served as the eye of the presiding deity.

The as yet unnamed stone passed from merchant to merchant in the everlasting quest for profit, eventually appearing for sale in Amsterdam. Shaffrass, an Armenian millionaire who then owned the diamond, found an eager buyer in Count Grigory Grigorievich Orlov. The Count paid a purported 400,000 Dutch florins, but would likely have agreed to any amount demanded. Years before the purchase Grigory Orlov had been romantically involved with a young Catherine the Great of Russia, an affair beginning while she was still merely Empress Consort of Russia, married to the Emperor Peter III of Russia. Their affair continued as Grigory Orlov led the way in the dethronement of her husband in a coup d'etat and the elevation of Catherine to power. Their relationship carried on for many years and produced an illegitimate child, but Catherine eventually forsook Count Orlov for Grigori Alexandrovich Potemkin. Count Orlov sought to rekindle their forlorn romance by offering her the diamond, as it is said he knew she had wished for it. While he failed to regain her affections, Catherine did bestow many gifts upon Count Orlov; these gifts included a marble palace in St. Petersburg. Catherine named the diamond after the Count, and had her jeweller, C. N. Troitinski, design a sceptre incorporating the Orlov. Now known as the Imperial Sceptre, it was completed in 1784.

Diamond Fund (Russian: Алмазный фонд) is a unique collection of gems, jewelry and natural nuggets, stored and exhibited in Moscow Kremlin, Russia. The Fund dates back to the Russian Crown treasury instituted by emperor Peter I of Russia in 1719. Preservation, sales and looting of imperial treasures after the Russian Revolution of 1917 is a matter of controversy and speculation. The Imperial collection was moved from Saint Petersburg to Moscow during World War I; the Soviet Diamond Fund was officially established in 1922. The treasure was first exhibited to the public in November 1967. Originally a short-term show, in 1968 it became a permanent exhibition.

There is a legend concerning the diamond, dating from the time of Napoleon. As the Emperor of France's forces were approaching Moscow during the campaign of 1812, the Orlov was secreted in the tomb of a priest in the Kremlin. When Napoleon entered Moscow he gave orders that the gem be sought. After he learned of its whereabouts, Napoleon in person, accompanied by his bodyguards, proceeded to the Kremlin to secure the diamond. The tomb was opened to reveal the great gem. One of the bodyguards stretched out a hand to take the diamond, but before he had touched it the ghost of the priest rose up and cursed the invaders. Napoleon and his bodyguards are then suppose to have fled empty-handed from the Kremlin. Now, on almost all counts this would appear to be nothing more than legend, but it adds yet one more detail to this already complex and most colorful story.

Lukasz, again, bravo !! :jumping: :jumping:

Your turn, now, for the next question... ;)

Ch.

Edited by Christophe

Scoreboard update!

24 points - JimZ

17 points - Harvey

17 points - UB6365

17 points - Christophe

15 points - Hauptmann

8 points - Gunner 1

3 points - Valter

2 points - kapten_windu

1 point - Tachel

1 point - K2009

1 point - Lukasz Gaszewski

Question #106 to follow... Up to you, Lukasz ;)

Ch.