News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

My Finnish Collection 1918-1945

• Replies 181
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Book by Petteri Leino Kunniamerkkikeräilijän opas ( Guide for order collectors) says that the price range for Cross of liberty 1st class with swords 1939 is 1500-1800 euros.

At the moment there is publicly for sale Cross of Liberty 1st class without swords 1941 which was awarded 22 times. It has minor enamel damages. It comes with original case of issue. Asking price for that is 2100 euros. 

6 hours ago, JanneP said:

I am also interested in buying that if you plan to sell it one day. Have to have competitor for Johan))

Damn you Janne! ;)

Where is the 1941 Liberty cross for sale?

2100€ is a pretty good price for that one. At least compared to what I have seen them priced at before.

14 hours ago, JohanH said:

The 1941 cross without swords is sold. And unfortunately not to me. :(

Sorry to hear that

On 28/10/2019 at 20:16, misiu said:

Such a cross from 1939 is valued approximately 7000 Euros.

What is this then if not influencing the price?

On 24/10/2019 at 23:38, Austin_militaria said:

Thanks Graham. I think this is the list for the 1941 dated award. There was a small number of 1939 dated awarded that I was looking for. 

-Rob

liberty2.jpg

Does anyone know where I can get a replacement ribbon?  Would it be the Red/White striped one or Yellow?

Thanks.

12 hours ago, Austin_militaria said:

Does anyone know where I can get a replacement ribbon?  Would it be the Red/White striped one or Yellow?

Thanks.

Try and send an email to this gentleman. https://www.hyrsky.fi/

Original ribbons for 1st class crosses are almost impossible to find, but he probably have replacements for sale. 

• 2 months later...
    • 3 months later...
    17 hours ago, ChristianUtti said:

Hello Everybody, 

Tell me what you think is worth Grand cross of Liberty cross 1918 with swords? 

Hello!

Are you buying or selling?

Is it a complete set? with cross? Breast star? Document?

Since only nine were manufactured and only four ever awarded so the price between issued and unissued is huge. 
    As far as I know there is atleast one of the awarded crosses on the private market. Is yours issued or unissued?

2 hours ago, JohanH said:

Hello!

Are you buying or selling?

Is it a complete set? with cross? Breast star? Document?

Since only nine were manufactured and only four ever awarded so the price between issued and unissued is huge. 
    As far as I know there is atleast one of the awarded crosses on the private market. Is yours issued or unissued?

Hello, 

I have the awarded one in mine collection. Belonged to Prince Henry of Prussia. It is the only awarded one in private collection. The set comes with box but unfortunately there is no document. The provenance was researched by Phd Antti Matikkala. 

How would you estimate the price of this award and an award without provenance? 

-Christian Utti

Edited by ChristianUtti

I believe it’s almost impossible to put a value on such a piece. 

But if I would guess I think it would go for over 30 000 € in an auction. But I guess it all depends on how much the bidders want it. 

Can we see a picture of it?

Hello, 

I can post a picture later but you can see mine example from Tiainen´s book Suomen kunniamerkit. It is pictured there. And just to make clear that I am not selling it. Only interested in its value. It is very hard to estimate it because of lack of public sales on this particular award.  

-Christian Utti 

Edited by ChristianUtti

Cheers,

10 Grand Cross sets with swords were manufactured.

Mannerheim's set (with the star and swords turned to the new position) is in his museum. In the Mannerheim Museum there is also another 1918 Grand Cross, which came to the museum from the Order for display purposes in 1953 together with another star, which was originally without swords (and had probably belonged to Prince Carl of Sweden), and to which swords of incorrect length were added with a different technique in the 1950s.

Left 8

There are three unissued sets in Finnish Museums (Sotamuseo, Kansallismuseo & Turun linna)

Left 5

I know about two complete unissued sets in private collections.

Left 3

And these three left have been more likely belonged to the three German recipients (Hindenburg, Ludendorff or Prince Heinrich of Prussia).

I therefore really doubt that the here (in this thread) discussed - complete set, even with box, would have belonged to Prince Heinrich of Prussia. Without any evidence, e.g. document, everybody can pretend everything.

As a conclusion, we can only find a price for an unissued piece.

Regards

Edited by misiu

Talking about prices in cases of such extremely rare items is like to carry coals to Newcastle.

In 2007 at the medalhouse auction one of these unissued sets was auctioned ... I will tell you the price per PM

I would subscribe the same price for nowadays. But you never know .. if two crazy roosters compete for such an item, one's mind can suspend very easily.

Antti Matikkala made a research about this particular piece based on silver stamps and archive information. Prince Henry of Prussia was actually never delivered the award. The cross stayed in storage of Tillander until it was probably sold out. Lets ask inversely: Where is the set of Prince Henry and is it even possible to prove that this is not an order belonged to him? 

-Christian Utti